1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we trade Shane, we lose an identity...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Don't agree with that. We sure were missing points from SF position (though Shane had few nice scoring games especially against LA) but you just can't ignore the job he has done on Kobe.

It was just incredible. And let me tell you something, Kobe was really frustrated.

So no, Shane did not hurt us in '09 playoffs.

2. hommiehcat

hommiehcat Member

3. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

McGrady has no future with this team. Other than that, I agree with everything else. Don' t trade Battier, Scola, Hayes, etc....

As much as Battier/Scola/Hayes hustle and give-it-everything-they-have-every single-second affects the team positively...

..McGrady's give-a-little-bit-til-I-get-lazy-and-quit-again can affect the team negatively.

4. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Any trade discussion needs to include who the potential trade would be for to have much meaning. You certainly don't trade players just for the sake of trading, but if Morey thinks it will upgrade the team, then no one should be untradeable.

5. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

It would be great if we could sign Tracy for 5 years, with the 2nd-5th being a team option to keep him on his toes.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't know about that. If it depended on Les, yes it does actually, Yao and Tracy are nearly untradeable commodities. He loves his cash cow and out of whatever reason loves Tracy. I guess Morey will have to do some persuasion work to do. Otherwise I don't see it.

7. TheBigAristotle

We'll be fine. Battier isn't that un-expendable

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Oh, if only... :cool:

9. amaru

amaru Member

I'm a Battier fan.....so if he does get traded, that would suck.

Then again, his superior defensive talents shouldn't be wasted on a team that is possibly lottery bound.

10. amaru

amaru Member

I've never seen Kobe that flustered by a single defender. And Shane did it the whole time without ever talking trash.

Remember, when asked Kobe said without hesitation that Shane gives him the hardest time.

11. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

Doesn't matter if you give someone a hard time...if he drops 40 he drops 40. But it's good if you tire him out for the next time, which wasn't the case for Shane and Kobe.

Point is, you make Kobe work hard, he will score anyways. So my solution is:
    1. Fake like you are gonna contest the shot then suddenly back away and Kobe will be like the hell? and since he isn't used to it maybe he will miss.
    2. Shane wipe his hands on dog poo before game, so when he puts his hand in Kobe's face while shooting Kobe will faint. However, the shot would most likely still go in.

1 person likes this.
  12. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I certainly hope you're not talking about Kevin Martin!

13. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

If He is indeed traded at least the Rockets should get quality in return. Quality that might boost the chances of the team not to be lottery bound. This team will compete so his talent would NEVER be put to waste.

14. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

Dropping 40 is not the most important part of the numbers. Effieciency is where its all about. Someone drops 40 with lets say about 13/25 from the field, that is a good game. Now if shane forces 40 points on 13/32 from the field. That helps you team win tremendously. Thats alot more empty posessions from missed shots that you would not normally get.

Shane is a model Rocket.
    Chuck is a career Rocket.
    Scola might sign for a smaller deal to stay in houston if we put together a championship roster. ala putting a healthy yao on the floor, with an allstar pg in AB 0, and a great passing play making Tmac.

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

You cannot stop Kobe Bryant but you can contain him.

Nobody can stop Kobe for getting his points, all you can do is make it as hard as you possibly can for him and try to force him into bad decisions. Which is what Shane did beautifully.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I think Beasley is good with great potential, but he lacks the length of Durant....6'8 with a 7'0 wingspan vs 6'10 with a 7'4.7 wingspan........but Beasley is a lot stronger and more physical when he attacks the basket, with that said i think Durant has a higher ceiling b/c of his skills in the perimeter combined with his length makes him a freak that can play all positions...

PS. love Battier's work ethic , demeanor, and professionalism, but if a player(s) with potential is on the table like Outlaw, and Fernandez (via Portland trade) than you pull the trigger.....it would still be sad to see him go dough.

17. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

He knows what is takes to be a Champion as he was an International Gold Medalist Team USA Champion and a Former National Collegiate Champion...
    (member of the 2001 USA Basketball Men’s Senior National Team and the 2001 USA Goodwill Games Team, which finished 5-0 to capture the gold medal at the 2001 Goodwill Games in Brisbane, Australia …As a senior, ranked second on the team in scoring (19.9 ppg, 28th in nation) and first in rebounding (7.3 rpg) … led team in steals (82) and blocked shots (88) … averaged 22.5 points and 10.2 rebounds during the NCAA Tournament in leading Duke to the 2001 National Championship)

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shane_battier/bio.html

Everyone knows how good his defense is but Battier is also an Excellent Shooter, Very Disciplined, and a Smart player that knows what it takes to Win by his decision making and off the ball plays. Career averages of .447 FG% and .388 3PT % and only 1 turnover per 33.5 minutes.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shane_battier/career_stats.html

Would like to see him produce more offensively this upcoming season as he is capable...

#37 djperm, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I love Battier, but he is redundant with Ariza and Yao out for the year. I would not trade him for the sake of it, but he is probably one of the better trading assets. Morey should explore this option.

19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

times change, players come and go ...

no player should be above trading.

20. Raven

Raven Member

I agree, only in extremely rare circumstances should a player be off limits, and Shane most certainly does not qualify, nor does Luis.