1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we strike out on Carmelo Anthony, is keeping Ryan Anderson really THAT bad???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Aug 24, 2017.

?

If we strike out on Carmelo Anthony, is keeping Ryan Anderson really THAT bad???

1. No, Ryan is about to show the world he's on J.R. Smith's level.

72.1%
  2. Yes, I've seen enough. I have grown to HATE Ryan Anderson.

27.9%
  1. MystikArkitect

Toyota Center evacuating to Katy confirmed.

2. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Anderson can contribute. His specific set of skills has proven to be useful. I think it's really about how much more melo can provide if the trade happens.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

It's just that i see no reason whatsoever for the Cavs to eat Anderson contract in that situation, if Lebron leaves they have no reason to help him land where he wants unless they get something good for doing that, which is clearly not Anderson...i don't even think adding a 1st would be enough tbh...

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I agree. Pipe dream, but still plausible. It's a players league, and LeBron is the most powerful player that has ever existed. If Morey puts his wizard hat on and LeBron sees us as his only chance to beat GSW, you never know.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, Lebron is the most powerful player around, but still...if he's going to leave there's no way in hell he can force Gilbert to make a bad trade for him, i mean, that's just unrealistic.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Getting stuck with Ryan Anderson would suck a bit because he's laughably overpaid and still not a starting quality PF.....but it's not the end of the world.

amaru likes this.
  7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

That's not what I'm implying (taking a bad deal), and I think this Melo deal is already done if Ryno had 1 less year on his contract, which is the case next summer. It's about lebron leaving no matter what, and us doing what we can to turn our players into assets for a rebuilding Cleveland, while Ryno's salary is the way we enable the trade.

Morey Turned Lowry into a guaranteed lotto pick and then used that as the main sweetener for the Harden trade. That's the type of moves he'll have to make to get it done. We don't have anyone on the roster that has that type of upside, but that's the best comparison I can make to make this a scenario that isn't 100% impossible. If we can turn Gordon into a first and a young player form a middle of the pack playoff team, we're getting closer. Hell, maybe we entertain a double sign & trade with Capela.

8. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

System wise no it's not a bad thing at all because Anderson is a great fit in our system. However, one of the reasons CP3 agreed to come here was the fact that he was PEOMISED that we would get Melo. If we don't get Melo CP3 could become irritated and decide to leave after this season. BUT we we advance to the confrence finals with Ryno and get bounced I def see CP3 having enough confidence to resign here and getting LBJ to come along.

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Ryan Anderson was disappointing in the playoffs and if his shot isn't falling he is useless. He hasn't develop anything new to his game and his rebounding and defense are subpar against teams with athletic 4s. That's why he's ineffective when the Dubs go to the death lineup.

10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We won 55 games and added CP3, Tucker, Luc and got Black back. We are a significantly better team than last year. I want Melo but I'm not willing to give up any main piece besides Ryno. We will be fine regardless.

OTMax likes this.
  11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hahaha insiders!!!

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

We are better but it's not enough to overcome GS. A straight swap of Melo for Ryno gives you a chance against GS plus the banana boat possibility.

If one of Durant, Curry, or Green tear an acl then Ryno would be enough.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its not that bad to keep ryno. we're still a 60 win team as is. we have a great shot at the WCF.

the longer we hold onto ryno the easier it is to move him since the only hold back is the length and size of his contract. I'm ok with having a 60 win season with ryno, and then moving him next summer.

theDude likes this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, nothing is impossible i'd say, and i trust Morey 100%, just saying that if Anderson is our main piece to make the Cavs sign & trade Lebron here next summer we're screwed, because unless we send them one or probably two 1st rounders they won't take him, like other teams are not taking him this summer. And that's without considering how pissed Gilbert would eventually be...cause it's even possible he refuses to help Lebron regardless.

#94 Vivi, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

thanks for admitting that in a playoffs series, a vastly superior team can physically wear a whole team out especially its superstar by sending double triple teams and punishing him offensively like having a7 footer post him up

is that what your poll says?

so by your standards CP3 who has alot more help than harden and had HCA quit against an inferior, young, and inexperienced team QUIT as well??

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Ryno is limited athletically, which limits him on defense, creating his own shot and as a rebounder. However, he is an elite long-range shooter and CP3 will only enhance that aspect of his game. He's also an underrated scraper. What do I mean by this? Well, when we needed him, he would fight harder on the boards, draw charges and post up down low. None of these skills are his forte, but he did them as best he could. He also appears to be a good teammate and someone who wants to fit in. I think he didn't take some of the shots we wanted him to because he was trying to be unselfish (vs he was scared).

While Melo would be a piece to help us challenge everyone in the league, I don't believe we can afford to lose any of our other key players to get him. Certainly not EGO or Capela, and Ariza is part of our spirit and a key recruiter.

NYK are going to have to settle and the sooner they realize it the sooner they can move on. Their new GM is probably under more (self-pressure) to turn Melo into something good after the Kyrie trade, but I'm afraid that was a very different situation. It's like my Twitter stock, I know I should sell it, take the loss and reinvest that money in Amazon, Apple or something else, but I'm too damn stubborn to admit that it was a terrible investment. I keep believing some huge company will come in and buy them, and turn that stock into the winner I know it could be.

Fck it, I should just sell that sht tomorrow and maybe Perry will get my vibe from the interconnected universe and trade us Melo for Ryno. Yeah, that's the ticket!

17. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Ryno's not a great rebounder, but he's not bad (1.9 offensive boards per 36 min last year for a guy who camps out behind the 3pt line almost always). Keep in mind that Beverley and Harden are very good rebounders for guards and were often taking defensive boards while he was running out to get ahead of the defense.

He's on the squad and well paid because he shoots a high volume (7 3pt FGA/game) 40% 3pt at a position (PF/C) which is quite uncommon and necessary in this offense. We don't need a PF who accumulates lots of stats, we need ones that space the floor. We brought in PJ Tucker because he will be more effective at PF than Ryno against a team like GSW, as he's another guy who doesn't accumulate stats but can play the 4 and shoots the 3pt really well too (40% last year on 2.5 attempts/game).

While Melo is very good, he's still an inefficient high usage guy who doesn't really fit as a role player (Harden and CP3 are way more efficient at usage). He's also not good at defense so I'm not seeing the upgrade other than for depth at scoring or perhaps as a decoy. However when Harden, CP3, and Gordon are healthy I don't think he's a significantly more useful player for us than Ryno. although I don't deny that Melo would become much more efficient playing with Harden/CP3.

18. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

You really didn't watch game 6, huh?

19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anderson fits what this team wants to do, he just needs to do it a little better at home. I thought we needed to get more shots out of Anderson this season. Adding CP3 probably won't allow him to do that, but he should still be a 2nd or 3rd option most of the time.

You only trade him for a clear upgrade, and there aren't many available (despite what you read on CF). Melo is one, but if you give up much more than Anderson for him, you may not have made the team better.

smoothie likes this.
  20. mockster

mockster Member

To me how awkward it must be for Ryan Anderson?. Knowing that he was going to get traded and then still the posssbility all season long to get traded.

In my shoes it would be hard to build chemistry and give a full effort