1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

If we keep up the neocon/Likud policies we will be just like Israel.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 10, 2004.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Likudization of the World: The True Legacy of September 11
    by Naomi Klein

Russian President Vladamir Putin is so fed up with being grilled over his handling of the Beslan catastrophe that he lashed out at foreign journalists on Monday. “Why don't you meet Osama bin Laden, invite him to Brussels or to the White House and engage in talks,” he demanded, adding that, “No one has a moral right to tell us to talk to child-killers.”

Mr. Putin is not a man who likes to be second guessed. Fortunately for him, there is still at least one place where he is shielded from all the critics: Israel. On Monday, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon warmly welcomed Russian Foreign Minister Sergie Lavrov for a meeting about strengthening ties in the fight against terror. “Terror has no justification, and it is time for the free, decent, humanistic world to unite and fight this terrible epidemic,” Mr. Sharon said.

There is little to argue with there. The essence of terrorism is the deliberate targeting of innocents to further political goals. Any claims its perpetrators make to fighting for justice are morally bankrupt and lead directly to the barbarity of Beslan: a carefully laid plan to slaughter hundreds of children on their first day of school.
    The underlying message is unequivocal: Russia and Israel are engaged in the very same war, one not against Palestinians demanding their right to statehood, or against Chechens demanding their independence, but against “the global Islamic terror threat.” ... This goes beyond states’ standard refusal to negotiate with terrorists — it is a conviction rooted in an insistent pathologising, not just of extremists, but of the entire “Arab mind”.

... Three years ago, on September 12, 2001, Israeli Finance Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was asked how the previous day’s terror attacks in New York and Washington would affect relations between Israel and the United States. “It's very good,” he said. “Well, not very good, but it will generate immediate sympathy.” The attack, Mr. Netanyahu explained, would “strengthen the bond between our two peoples, because we've experienced terror over so many decades, but the United States has now experienced a massive haemorrhaging of terror.”

... by Likudization, I do not mean that key members of the Bush Administration are working for the interests of Israel at the expense of U.S. interests — the increasingly popular “dual loyalty” argument. What I mean is that on September 11, George W Bush went looking for a political philosophy to guide him in his new role as “War President,” a job for which he was uniquely unqualified.

He found that philosophy in the Likud Doctrine, conveniently handed to him ready-made by the ardent Likudniks already ensconced in the White House. No thinking required. In the three years since, the Bush White House has applied this imported logic with chilling consistency to its global “war on terror” — complete with the pathologising and medicalising of the “Muslim mind”. It was the guiding philosophy in Afghanistan and Iraq, and may well extend to Iran and Syria.

It’s not simply that Bush sees America’s role as protecting Israel from a hostile Arab world. It’s that he has cast the United States in the very same role in which Israel casts itself, facing the very same threat. In this narrative, the U.S. is fighting a never ending battle for its very survival against utterly irrational forces that seek nothing less than its total extermination.

And now the Likudization narrative has spread to Russia. In that same meeting with foreign journalists on Monday, The Guardian reports that President Putin “made it clear he sees the drive for Chechen independence as the spearhead of a strategy by Chechen Islamists, helped by foreign fundamentalists, to undermine the whole of southern Russia ...This is all about Russia's territorial integrity,’ he said.” It used to be just Israel that was worried about being pushed into the sea.

There has indeed been a dramatic and dangerous rise in religious fundamentalism in the Muslim world. The problem is that under the Likud Doctrine, there is no space to ask why this is happening. We are not allowed to point out that fundamentalism breeds in failed states, where warfare has systematically targeted civilian infrastructure, allowing the mosques start taking responsibility for everything from education to garbage collection.

It has happened in Gaza, in Grozny, in Sadr City. Mr. Sharon says terrorism is an epidemic that “has no borders, no fences” but this is not the case. Everywhere in the world, terrorism thrives within the illegitimate borders of occupation and dictatorship; it festers behind “security walls” put up by imperial powers; it crosses those borders and climbs over those fences to explode inside the countries responsible for, or complicit in, occupation and domination.

Ariel Sharon is not the commander in chief of the war on terror; that dubious honour stays with George Bush. But on the third year anniversary of September 11, he deserves to be recognized as this disastrous campaign’s spiritual/intellectual guru, a kind of trigger-happy Yoda for all the wannabe Luke Skywalkers out there, training for their epic battles in good vs. evil.

If we want to see the future of where the Likud Doctrine leads, we need only follow the guru home, to Israel — a country paralyzed by fear, embracing pariah policies of extrajudicial assassination and illegal settlement, and in furious denial about the brutality it commits daily. It is a nation surrounded by enemies and desperate for friends, a category it narrowly defines as those who ask no questions, while generously offering the same moral amnesty in return. That glimpse at our collective future is the only lesson the world needs to learn from Ariel Sharon.

2. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Damn Jews and their jedi mind tricks.

3. glynch

Don't be so anti-semitic, Hayes. Not all Jews are followers of the Likud.

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

True, but the damn Jews in charge of world domination and GW Bush are!

5. glynch

Hayes, I know you like to pull my chain by doing such things as arguing that we should have attacked Iraq when you backed the murderous sanctions. However, is it possible for Jews to be anti-semitic?

Doesn't the Likud crowd usually refer to Jews who oppose their militaristic ways as "self-hating" not "anti-semitic" if they disagree with the Likud mindset? Anyone else who opposes their policies is labeled "anti-semtic".

6. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I do like to pull your chain when you argue we should continue sanctions and keep saddam in power, but the article you posted does deserve a more substantive reply so...

It would seem the underlying message is unequivocally against terrorism. What is the problem with that? As Naomi points out, there is 'little to argue with that' because terrorism inherently targets civilians. No one says exterminate all Muslims. Exterminate all terrorists seems reasonable to me.

Uh, well correct me if I'm wrong but Afghanistan was ruled by the Taliban which can fairly be called pathological and certainly irrational. It doesn't seem incorrect to say the same about Saddam Hussein, unless I missed something. And considering the Bush Administration repeatedly claimed Saddam was merely using Islam for power purposes, and not because he was a 'real' Muslim, I don't see a blanket pathologizing of 'Arabs' (even though Afghanis aren't arabs) either.

And how SHOULD we characterize Osama and Al Queda, lol? Really cool dudes who just want a little love?

How is this incorrect? It does appear that Chechen rebels have joined forces with non Chechen Islamic radicals.

This seemingly contradicts the rest of the article.

Ah, like in Saudi Arabia. That failed state? Its true that depravation and poverty spurs terrorism, right? Like poor old poverty stricken Osama? And this declaration is just silly. In fact the opposite is true. We can ask what the cause is as long as we don't examine the links between the mosques and the terrorism for crying out loud. We can only ask about the causes IF we can blame ourselves, in Naomi's views.

So true. I forgot that we occupied Afghanistan and oppressed their population! Oh wait....as I recall we were responsible for providing the aid that enabled the Afghanis to THROW OUT the country responsible for, or complicit in, their occupation and domination. How does Naomi's theory go again, lol?

Well, I certainly think there is a better way to handle the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, and I really wouldn't even be against stronger action against Israel. But as I pointed out to FB, if you think you can play 'let's make a deal' with Osama and his ilk, you are living in fantasyland.

#6 HayesStreet, Sep 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2004
  7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My name is Likud
    I live on the second floor
    I live upstairs from you
    yes, I think you've seen me before

8. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I do live in fear that Mexico and Canada will decide that the United States does not have a right to exist. It keeps me up at night. I didn't get to sleep last night until probably 11:30 even after having a late snack of cookies, warm milk, and Rohypnol.

9. glynch

Uh, well correct me if I'm wrong but Afghanistan was ruled by the Taliban which can fairly be called pathological and certainly irrational. It doesn't seem incorrect to say the same about Saddam Hussein, unless I missed something. And considering the Bush Administration repeatedly claimed Saddam was merely using Islam for power purposes, and not because he was a 'real' Muslim, I don't see a blanket pathologizing of 'Arabs' (even though Afghanis aren't arabs) either.

You and Dick Cheney. Bin Laden is the Taliban is Sadam is terroism .Sorry Iraq was an imperialistic ill thought out war. Only in the neocon cosmos iis the Iraq war one against terrorism.

And how SHOULD we characterize Osama and Al Queda, lol? Really cool dudes who just want a little love? Dick Cheny again. Again, those who oppose the Iraq War love terrorism and hate America. You are better than that, Hayes. I have said that your misguided policies that actually increase terrorism are not because you love terrorism, but rather like the misguided drug war negative effect on combating drug abuse your policies are so stupid they make things worse.

How is this incorrect? It does appear that Chechen rebels have joined forces with non Chechen Islamic radicals
    Well actually the DNA remains of the first six school hostage takers identified them all as Chechens. If the Chechens who have a reasonable claim for freedom from Russian who brutally conquered them in 1850 are seeking Al Qaeda help does that make them all terrorists. In your haste to back the Iraq War are you now going soft on Russian imperialism?

So true. I forgot that we occupied Afghanistan and oppressed their population! Oh wait....as I recall we were responsible for providing the aid that enabled the Afghanis to THROW OUT the country responsible for, or complicit in, their occupation and domination. Got to go back a step, Hayes. Russia invades Afghanistan. This leads to a civil war. We back an army of Muslim extremists to fight the Russians. We create Bin Laden's network. So the Russsians and the US are the midwives of Al Qaeda. A good example of why mere militarism isn't effective in fighting terrorism. got to use your head when fighting

Well, I certainly think there is a better way to handle the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, and I really wouldn't even be against stronger action against Israel. But as I pointed out to FB, if you think you can play 'let's make a deal' with Osama and his ilk, you are living in fantasyland. I agree with your point on Israel, however, you are being inconsitent. Some Palestinians commit terrorist acts, now you seem to say the Palestinians might have some sort of legitimacy for their claims, "Israeli/Palestinian conflict". .Careful your thinking is showing some "nuance".

I agree it is very unlikely you can negotiate with Bin Laden. If you want to catch OBL and neutralize him and his movement you got to be a little smarter. Pursuing policies that inflame all Muslims, such as helping the Likud grab more land, or the US conquer Iraq enable Al Qaeda to hide in a sea of 1 billion Muslims who feel they have to either back him or US and Israeli imperialism is not the way to go.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

glynch, you did not post a link for the article.

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I recommend the Bushmaster M16A2...Get your high quality 30 round magazines from Wilson Combat (2 more days..cost: $14.95)...Use Winchester Q3131A ammo...

A 12 gauge shotgun, and a pistol...either Glock or a 1911 type pistol...

this is the basic home defense arsenal...

12. glynch

Link to original article.
    link

13. glynch

Roxran, can't you go stroke your gun for awhile? Maybe go fire it somewhere?

Alternatively there must be a site where people only talk about guns.

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

glynch

Can't you go burn a flag or something. Alternatively, there must be a site where people only talk about how evil America is.

15. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Evil? Nah...but perception is a powerful and dangerous thing.

StupidMoniker, imagine being an Iraq shop keeper. Just your average citizen. You're glad that Saddam is gone, but you just want security in your country. US Soldiers raid your shop looking for "terrorist." Your wife and five year old son are killed.

Are you just going to "forget about it" and move on? Are you just going to "brush it off as collateral damage lost for the greater good?" Huh? Now multiply this occurrence by thousands! That's Iraq. This is where American "good intentions" and "hubris" start to blur. This shop keeper will get angrier and angrier until he's no longer "on the fence."

"Hey, war is messy. We're not perfect. Get over it!" you might say. This is not wise thinking considering that we're locked down in a "religious war." All for a neocon experiment.

#15 DavidS, Sep 11, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  16. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Sorry but Naomi claims Afghanistan as well, go back and look at the article you posted. Care to explain how the Taliban was rational? That bin laden was rational? Or even how Saddam was not pathological or irrational? Lets start with that because until you get a reasonable argument you're just flinging empty rhetoric.

And how SHOULD we characterize Osama and Al Queda, lol? Really cool dudes who just want a little love?
    What? Naomi is talking about how Osama and AQ are characterized. And how this 'battle' with them is characterized. Your response simply makes NO SENSE. Should we characterize Osama and AQ OTHER THAN being in a zero sum battle? Can we negotiate with AQ and Osama? Please explain. Whether or not the war in Iraq increased or decreases terrorism we can argue at a later point. The only relevant point here is whether or not it is correct to view this as a zero sum game with AQ. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE say you think we can negotiate with AQ because they are rational actors, lol, so that any last reminants of respect you have on the board will evaporate.

How is this incorrect? It does appear that Chechen rebels have joined forces with non Chechen Islamic radicals
    Whoa. Jump back, Jack. Are you saying the massacre of children ON PURPOSE is NOT TERRORISM, or that its REASONABLE? And if they are merging with AQ, then yes, they must be eliminated. Remember that the US has been diplomatically pressuring peaceful settlement, but it would be silly to try and support a group that is comingling with AQ.

So true. I forgot that we occupied Afghanistan and oppressed their population! Oh wait....as I recall we were responsible for providing the aid that enabled the Afghanis to THROW OUT the country responsible for, or complicit in, their occupation and domination.
    What. You take a step back. You posted the article. If you want to defend its main tenets, fine. If you don't then why post the damn thing to begin with? Naomi says its our previous oppression that spurs terrorism, not a radical pathological or irrational mindset. I point out that the opposite is true in Afghanistan, where we help them fight the imperialist oppressor, and they turned on us anyway. WHY? Because they are not guided by rationality, but rather by a pathological strain of their religion. Kinda proves Naomi's thesis completely wrong.

Well, I certainly think there is a better way to handle the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, and I really wouldn't even be against stronger action against Israel. But as I pointed out to FB, if you think you can play 'let's make a deal' with Osama and his ilk, you are living in fantasyland.
    No, what I'm saying is that some Israeli actions, like settlements, are not really part of the fight against terrorism. Charging more for water etc is not part of the fight against terrorism. Blowing up hamas leaders IS and that is fine with me. It is a reasonable reaction to suicide bombers in pizza parlors, and it is far more justifiable than suicide bombers in pizza parlors. Don't worry about me because I rarely contradict myself.

Yes, you cannot negotiate with bin laden. Because he is IRRATIONAL and PATHOLOGICAL, lol. Exactly the opposite of Naomi's thesis. Glad to see you can do such a good job supporting the article you posted, lol. Invading afghanistan inflamed muslims. You have such tunnel vision that you think the intervention in Iraq is the ONLY factor in Islamic jihadism. So please explain why the WTC got blown up. Last I checked that was BEFORE the intervention in Iraq. Wake up, man.

And as long as we're looking out for contradictions, please explain how you consistently argue that the terrorist/Islam connection is simply Islam bashing, non-existant, and at best overexaggerated - and NOW you're saying a billion muslims back osama. Oops.

17. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Ha ha!

18. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

I'm just surprised how the hell we, as freedom-preaching people, can still be an ally of Israel. I don't think that there is any single country in the world that is as oppressive as Israel is.

Israel is the country tha invaded terrorism. Israelis blew up the King David hotel way before any Islamic terrorist evert surfaced. I guess Al-Qaeda has Israel to thank for teaching them all about terrorism.

Plus, there is no country in the world that has hurt America and American interests more than Israel. We have caught two Israeli spies. The key word is "caught". Only God knows how many have passed through that we have not caught.I guarantee..if Saddam had spies in the White House like Israel has, Iraq would have been Pompei 20 years ago. Yet somehow..Israel is still "our friend" and our only ally in the Middle East. If Israel is our ally, then we are in deep sh*t.

19. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Russian history isn't of interest to you?

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shall we think? Because it's still the only democracy in the Middle East.

What does that 2nd sentence even mean? :confused: