1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"If voting could change anything,...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimbaud, Jul 25, 2000.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

God, I have to get back to work...

anyway:

insideout, that quote is totally taken out of context. Al Gore coined the term 'information superhighway', he never said that he invented the internet.

------------------
    Clutchcity500.com is where all the action is!

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Its not that poeple wont learn to forgive Bill CLinton. Most likely they will. Certainly not to the extent of JFK, because, well, JFK was very charismatic and died in a very vivd way (and perhaps one that requires forgiveness). Yes, the rest of the world is more liberal than us, but laughing at us, I doubt it. Take that French president who slept around and had a child with his mistress (I cant remember his name, he died not too long ago). That guy will still be remembered for his affiar just as much as anything else. The same can be said for Clinton. I think if Clinton could run again, he would most likely win, so nobody is really tooo hard on the guy (no pun intended).

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

4. The Israeli Rocket

I envy you americans,
    when you go to vote your importent issues are
    education environment and econonmics
    here in israel first of all you have to worry about the peace procces and security
    then religos problems & then trying to connect our divided pepole & then the arabic minorty only after that we take care of the economics and education (enviorment is NOT an importent subject here to give you an example the green party in israel got something about 15000 votes and they are not even represented in the Kneset the israeli parlament) I envy you because i think that it is an absurd because pepole who dont have jobs and can not put food on the table to feed their kids, who are not well educated and live in an enviorment that is not being taken care of can not achive a true rightful peace, as long as their is going to be hungry arabs in gaza and the west bank there are going to be pepole who will be ageinst the peace.
    now to the topic if i was an american i would have choosen George W Bush because i get the impresion (i hope i'm right about it)that he is as strong as his father was, i dont know how many of you know this but Bush senior is the man that prevented the middel east and the whole world from entering a chemical and biological war he did that by
    his strong standing on the princible that israel wont atteck Iraq although we were bombed (i remamber my self as a kid and my family with gas maskes in the shelter as a fun experience belive it or not) he held his position ageinst the right wing leader that was prime minsiter of israel at the time, despite my belief that we would have kicked their ass israel attack could have led to the breaking up off the wide coalition of nations ageinst iraq (that arabic countries were part of) and could have pushed sadam to fire biological weapons that we now know for a fact that he had.
    I think my country would benfit from a man with strong durability, a men that can make arabics leader realize that they have to take the generos offers that prime minsiter Brak is offering them because if they wont his goverment will fall and they will end up with a right wing prime minister that wont offer them nothing.
    wow my longest post ever, can some of you tell me how much forign affeirs are a subject in the elections? is the peace procces a subject in the netional platform of the partyes or is it being talked about only with jewish population?

------------------
    The holy land #1 rocket fan

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Thanks for putting all of this into perspective Israeli Rocket. What is really pathetic is that we claim to be the seat of democracy and yet we have to struggle to get 30% of the population to turn out to vote. That is a nice breath of fresh air.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

6. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Israeli Rocket makes an excellent point.

Why we are here enjoying great, great prosperity and peace, we want to condemn a president for one mistake that isn't even our business in the first place because it hasn't affected his job. Yet, half a world away, there are people who don't know if they are going to wake up to explosions or invasions.

Right now, our president is working on making that area safer and Republicans are ridiculing him for it? "Lame duck"? "Desperately searching for a legacy"?

Republicans can't wait for the day Clinton isn't in office. No matter what they throw at the man, most of America still approves of him and his work.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

That's politics in this day and age, Almu. If there was a Republican President in the same situation, you can bet that there would be many a Democrat who would be acting in the same way that these Republicans are acting.

The way it works is that you try and bring the other party down and try and promote your own party as much as possible. The ideas and actions and truth doesn't matter. It's all about bringing the other side down and "winning" the battles.

------------------
    www.houstonsportsboard.com

8. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

One mistake?

------------------

9. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

One mistake that is none of my business. The other political mistakes are not included.

------------------

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Huh?

Okay, now I am merely saying that you are not intelligent. I am now dumber for reading that sentence.

Just playing w/ ya! [​IMG]

After I get back from the SLCC game I will cite a few examples that show why, IMO, George Bush does not have the credentials to wash Al Gore's car.

Again, Al Gore is no Bill Clinton.

------------------
    Clutchcity500.com is where all the action is!

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Actually Almu, there is economic theory that suggests, while Reagan's big spending at the time did put America into a big hole, that his supply side economics may actually be a reason for the recent decade long expansion. But nobody knows for sure, I don't necessarily beleive it and Im not trying to support anybody here. Clinton certianly is not the main reason for the good economy of late (it is really who he appoints..maybe he wins for appointing th eright people, but that is another debate) and Reagan certainly didnt end the Cold War. We all know that it was Rocky [​IMG]. But serioulsy, I have heard some pretty horrible accusations about things Reagan greenlighted in Central America and South America that just make me sick, but once agai, a different story

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

12. Bobby

Bobby Member

Re: Jeff's comment about "30% of eligible voters voting". It is pathetic, regardless of which way you lean.

I really like the law in Australia: everyone who is eligible must vote, or have a very good reason why not or face a stiff fine. The other rule I like there is that 48 hours (I think this is correct) before the election, all political advertsing must cease. That would be a welcome relief from the noise level here.

Smeggy Smeg probably votes Labor Party (who don't work) as opposed to the Liberal Party (who aren't).

------------------
    "Who Wants To Be A Rocket?" - and probably a millionaire as well. The off-season will be interesting!

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Election Day should be a holiday. I think more people might vote if they had all day to do it, instead of having to go after work when they're tired, or during their lunch break.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

14. The Israeli Rocket

JuanValdez-israeli politics is one of a kind
    globely speaking, every day there is a new subject that is sheaking our politic situation.
    I want to know what you guys will think when a peace aggreement will be achived (hopefully) and the US will pay money to compensat the arabs who fled their lands in the war of 48. I know that if i was an american I would be very angry about it.

------------------
    The holy land #1 rocket fan

[This message has been edited by The Israeli Rocket (edited July 28, 2000).]

15. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Juan,

I am practicing now since I will be the first president who speaks fluent Spanish. [​IMG]

------------------

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Voting should be allowed up to the last day via mail, telephone and internet. Harris County is the last county in the country to not have electronic vote counting procedures. We still have the freakin' punch cards.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I love how Almu took Israeli Rocket's very refreshing post and twisted it to his own political ends.

IR, I'm certainly not the best person to answer your question because I generally shy away from talk on politics now. But, I'd say considerations of international affairs is only accounted for by the public here in general terms: Bush doesn't have the experience, or Gore can't be a strong leader in dealing with other countries, etc., things like that. I haven't heard many people actually consider what Bush and Gore's positions are on the Israel-Palestinian peace talks or whatnot.

By the way, I did like your post a lot. I was visiting some Israeli friends (in Canada) recently, and talking about Israeli politics is worlds different from talking about American politics. If I were Israeli, I'd even bother to vote.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Almu --

While it's upsetting that Clinton lied to America, to his wife and to his closest supporters about Lewinksy..it's primarily my concern that he lied under oath in a legal proceeding. His behavior with female subordinates was highly relative in a Paula Jones' case, and he lied about it. Ultimately he was held in contempt of court. For this, in my mind, he should have been removed from office. When you undermine the faith in the very procedures and processes that we have set in place to provide justice, you have gone a long way in showing you're not worthy of the highest office in the land...enforcing the very laws you're breaking. The democrats and the media kept focusing on the sex, distracting from the real issue...that the President of the United States, as a defendant in a sexual harassment case, lied under oath and was subsequently held in contempt of court.

Can't remember who called me on spending...but Reagan absolutely pushed for more military spending..I won't argue with that. It still doesn't change the fact that the dems had control of Congress for 40 years and could never balance a budget. Clinton adopted the Republicans plans for balancing the budget. The spending grew more in the first few years of the Clinton era than it had in many years...he signed the largest tax increase in the history of this country.

Keep in mind..when Reagan came into office the economy was AWFUL!! He pushed through the Tax Reform Bill when previously the tax code had the highest marginal rates at over 70%!!! Geez, where were we living, Sweden?? Tax cuts and less government grow economies. The more money businesss are forced to pay out in taxes or to comply with regulations, the less they have to give their employees..meaning the ordinary joe than has less discretionary income to spend in his/her local economy. When the cost of doing business is low, we benefit and the economy grows.

Someone made an excellent point...the real growth of an economy comes not from politicians but just from hard-workng people. The less the government gets in their way, the better they do

------------------

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MadMax:

Funny that you mention the common working person and Reagan together. It was a great 8 years for investment bankers...

I will call it the Reagan administration, because Reagan did not really do much, his underlings did.

During the 80's gang activity increased (the modern day "ghetto" concept formwed. Illegal drug activity went away from peace loving hippie types, to armed, poor, gangs.

This was the new economy that took off.

Racial tensions were worse in the 80's, after some slight progression in the late 70's.

1/3 of all funding Reagan cut were programs for women and minorities (they accounted for a miniscule portion of the total budget).

The stock market crash in '87 would have been worse than '29, had it not been for computers that saved us. What links the two? The economic policies of the 20's and 80's were very similar (supply side to trickle-down).

Clinton lied about sex.

Reagan lied about Iran/Contra.

Yawn, who cares?

------------------
    "One evening I seated Beauty on my knees. And I found her bitter."

"I am a sick man...I am a wicked man. An unattractive man. I think my liver hurts."

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

MadMax,

During the Lewinsky crap, I worked at a law firm. I asked nearly all of the 30 partners at the firm if they would pursue a case exactly like Clinton's. All I asked, both ultra-conservative and ultra-liberal said the same exact thing-No.

It was only made a big deal because he was Bill Clinton. Some say that's O.K. because he's the highest person in the country. I say that if you're not supposed to be above the law, you're not supposed to be below it either.

Clinton's purjury is no worse than Tripp illegally taping conversations, IMO. Two wrongs don't make a right.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com