1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

If Tmac comes back who starts?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Watching the Tmac workout video got me excited. If he comes back who sits on the bench? I am not sure if we promised ariza a starter role, but I would rather have battier starting.

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I assume the lineup would be:

Brooks/Lowry
    T-Mac
    Ariza/Batman
    Scola/Landry
    ?

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

ariza IS going to start. didn't adelman say ariza IS going to be featured on offense (this was before knowing mcgrady might play in the opener).

unless adelman wants to roll out a lineup that would put battier at the 4 and scola at the 5, i think battier will go to the bench

4. gatsby

gatsby Member

It is to my knowledge that Adelman guaranteed Ariza the starting spot as well as significant playing time as a true starter.

tm

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Featured, doesn't mean starting.
    Ariza will probably be the sixth man.

6. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

This question may bee answered in the near future with a possible Battier trade. If Batman is still with the Rockets, I expect him to come off the bench once Tracy returns.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Battier & McGrady are both significantly better than Ariza.

8. Obito

If Battier is even better than Ariza it's def. not significantly....

But I would start Battier over Ariza, at least for the start of the season...

9. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

To me you have to look at which group will mesh better together. I think that with Battier starting, this will give our starting lineup a great mesh with what our talent has to offer.
    Brooks
    Tmac
    Battier
    Scola
    Anderson

Not knowing whether tmac will b able to get up and down the floor or not, would hinder what we want ariza to do. Plus with Tmac and brooks to penetrate and dish, i would rather have battier out there shooting the open threes.

This also would mean our bench would have b something like:
    Lowry
    Buddinger
    Ariza
    Landry
    Hayes

now to me that is a great bench, alot of up tempo players who can flat out stroke. Along with a player like Ariza who has starter talent, who can really flourish leading our second unit and being a slasher and finisher. We would have one of the strongest and most competitive bench's in the NBA.

10. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

IMO, the Rockets signed Ariza by promising him a bigger role than what he had with the Lakers. This should mean he will be a starter over Battier, assuming they both play the 3 position. I'm sure that Battier wouldn't have any problems coming off the bench.

11. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

adelman needs to park mcgrady on the bench till he proves he can out play ariza. its very unlikely he'll be as good as he was before.

12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

LOL at anyone who thinks Ariza isn't starting.

The reason why he came here is for he could start and try to be a 1-3 option on a team.

13. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

What video?

14. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Battier would be the best bet. He gives the second unit some stability and guidance. The second unit are high energy guys that tend to be prone to turnovers. Shane can add that defensive spark that would complement the high octane offense of Landry and even Lowry. Ariza would be great playing off Tmac like what was seen by Trevor's game with Kobe. He gives the starting unit a defensive presence that it could have gotten from Shane.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Battier is a bench player. He does nothing that ariza can't do plus ariza is a better transition player, slasher, and finisher. Shane will come off the bench and get his 7ppg just like he would if he was starting.

16. Asian Sensation

Brooks
    Mcgrady
    Ariza
    Battier
    Scola

Just roll with the 5 best players and hope to score as much as possible. Our interior defense is going to be weak regardless due to lack of size size (Hayes/Landry) and inexperience (Andersen). Hopefully our good team defense can carry over from last year... just make sure to gang rebound and emphasize team defense ie quick doubles, weakside help, getting good position to draw charges and maybe even some fronting.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Tracy Mcgrady and/or Shane Battier will be traded before the deadline.

With that said, I'd assume Battier gets the start. Ariza will have to outplay him and earn that starting spot.

18. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

That 5 would be great to end the game.

19. Obito

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kWJYdwG8Ik&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kWJYdwG8Ik&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Really? Who told you that?

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have always been high on Ariza. But he had a hot playoffs. He hasn't shown me he is the player y'all seem to think he is. Posey did something similar two seasons ago. Ariza isn't as good of a 3pt shooter as we saw, he can't create his own shot, and his 1on1 defense is suspect. Suspect enough that SVG never played him.