1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the trades, Roy or Gay dont fall through

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by yobod, Jun 27, 2006.

1. yobod

yobod Member

I just went down the list to check out all the yahoo pre draft videos again, i forgot how sweet Carneys game is. His Jason Richardson like athleticsm and 3-point stroke have be drooling. Having him there at the 2 spot instead of Wesley is just like and instant super upgrade with Rafer running the point. Carney, Rafer, Mcgrady, and Swift running the break is just sick.

What about his D? that i dont know, he has the athleticism and talent for it. What about his ball handling? that remains to be seen with all the driving, dunking, and 3 point shooting he does. But how much do we need our 2 guard to handle the ball?

With that said i wouldnt be sad at all if we picked up Carney, he seems to fit the bill with what we need at 2-guard. We want to infuse the team with youth, and athleticsm, hes definitly it. You guys are preaching for passing, and leadership but honestly thats like saying youd rather have Shane Battier over Vince Carter because Battier does all the intangibles. If the talent is there, we take it. We've got enough veteran leadership.

2. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Brewer over Carney.

3. rserina

rserina Member

I would take Brewer over Carney, too, but I am not opposed to the latter. He needs to get a fire lit under him, but the kid has unbelievable athleticsm and a very good shot.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

How many players have we seen that needed a fire lit under them?

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If the trades don't fall through my pick is Brewer unless Shelden Williams is unexpectedly at the 8th.

6. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

It seems like there is the top 6

then there are about 3 others in Brewer, Foye, and Sheldon Williams ... I think more with Brewer and Williams is the fact that they are not going to be the offensive focus of their teams, they will be great complimentary players, and everyone is swinging for the fences... Foye has a little more uncertainty to him, but his intensity and defense mean he will be around a while for the least.

7. drpepper

drpepper Member

Alright, our deal(s) fall through and none of the top tier players fall to us, then I would move down. C.D. said there are many teams we could move down with.
    I'd do a #8 for the Hornets' #12 and 15.

Take Saer Sene at 12. Take Thabo at 15. :eek: I think he's the best player after the lotto. He averaged 12pts, 7 rebounds, 2.5 steals in 29.5 minutes. He also shot 51.7% from the field and 43.3% from behind the arc!!! He's been playing professional ball since 18 and has been a starter since 20. He's been in all-star games and helped his team make the playoffs for the first time last year. The thing I like about him the most is the fact he doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. I believe Brewer does and that might hinder his effectiveness with TMac also needing the ball. Carney is a very good player, but loses his confidence and motor if his shots are falling. Thabo reminds me of a blend of those two players.

Take a good backup PG or Gansey in the second.

Contact Dallas and propose a Swift for M.Daniels swap. Makes sense for both teams.

Make a push for Bonzi in the offseason.He may not resign with Musselwad as the new head coach. May like the idea of playing for a ring.

next years lineup:

Yao/Deke
    Saer/Howard/Hayes
    TMac/Thabo/Bowen
    Bonzi/Head/Gansey
    M.Daniels/Alston/backup

Found some good videos at a crappy forum:link

enjoy.

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Bottom line on Carney: His coach BENCHED him because he wasn't motivated. If we had a team full of Super Marios, it would be one thing, but we don't. We can't afford another Slow-mile.

I won't be devastated if we end up taking Carney, but he's near the bottom of my prospect list.

9. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

speaking of those yahoo videos...anyone else just get blank screens?

10. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I have a friend that's a ball boy for the Rockets. He goes to all of these player workouts to shag balls and what not. He told me that Thabo killed guys during 2 on 2. I can't remembetr that names of the other players, but I know they were well known prospects. He told me that if Thabo is there in the 2nd round, the Rockets are taking him. Regarding the 1st round, he said the players that impressed the most were

1. Brandon Roy
    2. Randy Foye
    3. Rudy Gay

11. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

I doubt Thabo is there in the 2nd, I think that he is a mid first rounder

12. sbyang

sbyang Member

I like Foye too, if Roy, Gay or Thomas are gone then i'd take Foye.

13. Diaw

Diaw Member

if we dont get roy/gay/morrison (i'll not sleep if we're that unlucky lol), trade down with NO (both of their picks) and take carney and redick ... or just stay at #8 and pick brewer ... btw, it seems phoenix, if they dont move up, wants to trade/sell their 27th pick ... why not swap with our #32 ?

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

In terms of moving up with our #32. I would target New Jersey's #23. They have two picks in a row #22, and 23. They've got a lot of guaranteed money on their roster, and continue to walk a tight-rope with the luxury tax. If Redick falls to that slot, I would not be surprised if the Rockets move up with their 32 plus cash.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If we can't trade up to get Roy/Gay then we should go with Ronnie Brewer. And I would add Randy Foye as a darkhorse.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

m_cable, I agree with that line of thinking. Target a team that has multiple picks in the first round (NJ) and then try to move our 2nd rounder to trade up if there is a quality rotational or potential starter type player available to us.

I think there is a lot of potential to trade up into the back end of the 1st round.

17. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

This is a good topic and is something I have been pondering for a while. If we can trade down to get the #12 and #15 and still pick up Brewer, Foye or Shelden, I would jump on that. I know the only one we really have a chance on is Foye, but I wouldn't mind having him. When I think of this scenario, this is what I think of:

Foye+??? (Reddick?) >> Brewer + whoever else we have on the roster

Has there actually been any proof that this is even a rumor, or is it just a pipe dream for us Rockets fans?

Here is how I would like the draft (at least the first round) to turn out, in order:

1) Rockets are able to stay at #8 and pick up Roy.

2) Rockets trade up to #5 (I don't want to give up Luther, but I could live without him) and get Gay/Roy. I'm not big on Thomas, he reminds me too much of Swift.

3) Rockets trade down to get the #12 and #15 and get Brewer or Foye with #12, and another contributor with #15.

4) Rockets keep #8 and take Brewer

5) Rockets trade down to get #12 and #15 and don't get Brewer or Foye.

Hopefully it doesn't go any further than that...

Pugs

18. yobod

yobod Member

yeah just drag your screen over a little bit... and the video will appead