1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Rockets were "kinder, gentler, always keep and overpay role players"...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Feb 7, 2011.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Battier "playing" better has nothing to do with anything.

My point is: Battier, who is the consumate pro and will never sniff controversy has come out and publically commented on the issue. Playing better or not, that is a red flag.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I must have missed what he said that was controversial or critical of the organization.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You don't find it strange Battier would even hint at saying anything other than the company line?

I am not saying give extensions to everyone, what I am saying is: Human beings have emotions, they get riled up, and they need to be treated with respect even in disagreement. While I won't pretend I know how these conversations go, it appears that when agents ask about extensions they get a "We dont do extensions". Having that policy is fine, but at the same time you gotta deliver that message in a sensitive manner. Its hard to explain, but if my GF asks me when I am going to marry her and I say "Sorry, I dont do marriages to you right now" that **** aint gonna fly ;)

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

I find it strange that anyone of us should care since it has not negatively impacted his play, just as it didn't for so many before him. To use your own words, "Human beings have emotions". So he will say what he will say, yet it is still his job and contractual obligation to be a professional and give it his all. Something that, again, he and so many before him have done without any problems.

It seems to me that it isn't the policy that is the source of the problem here, but rather the bruised ego of the offender. Now whether that is you or the little midget that you continue to defend is anyone's guess.

Come to think of it, it isn't really strange at all. While you can "Stand by your logic" to the bitter end, it seems that the coach and management were standing somewhere else entirely this whole time. Now that that is clearer than ever, it is only obvious that your blame would gravitate towards them.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, I don't. If he's asked a question about how or other players are taking all the trade talk, I expect him to answer honestly but also diplomatically. And that's what he did.

I get that players are little nervous or maybe uncomfortable with the Rockets being open about looking to "upgrade" the team. That is understandable, and I have no problems with that. But players are also expected to be professionals and just play basketball. It looks to me like all of them have been doing that, with the exception of one player. Now, with Brooks, he's had to deal with multiple things at once so its been extra tough on him -- trade rumors, no contract extension, out of rhythm or maybe still not fully recovered, lost starting job. I just don't fault the organization for it. Its partly on him, and its also a lot of bad luck.