1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Rockets had kept Lou Will, Montrezl, & Bev instead of trading for CP3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Normalus

Normalus Member

Eric is a much better defensively. It was a good choice by the Rockets.

2. Voltik

Voltik Member

There aren’t many active players, none that I can think of right now, that is all around better player and leader at PG position than Chris Paul. Even when he doesn’t score, he heavily impacts the game and Harden. CP3 changed Harden in ways for fans is difficult to see, such as maturity, accountability, work ethic, drive/motor to win, age clock, etc.

Ex Rockets players couldn’t and didn’t have this effect on Harden. We just need him to stay healthy throughout the playoffs.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there would be no cool Rockets-themed State Farm commercials

vator and Jake Tower like this.
  4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If we had to do it again, I would still do it again. CP3 gives Harden the better chance then add-in Faried, Gerald Green, Danuel House and Iman. Championship roster.

5. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Lou definitely was NOT garbage during his time here. He and Gordon off the bench were killers. He brought us all the way back in one playoff game against OKC. Sweet Lou was an amazing Rocket!

That said, CP3 was worth every player they shipped out to get him.

ronclone, vince, xaos and 2 others like this.
  6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

7. rocks123

rocks123 Member

all about fit. cp3 despite being injury prone is who we need to compete at a very high level. his experience and leadership is very valuable for the rockets.

8. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

is it round 2 yet?

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm not a big Gordon fan but he's a better defender and can be effective offensively without having the ball much.

mike2k132 likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't know a lot about the salary cap, but the three players make around $20,000,000 between them and Paul makes around $35,000,000. So, I am willing to learn how the salary cap would have prohibited this from happening.

11. dawesome

dawesome Member

I would only replace Green with Lou. The rest, I like what we have now.

Morey surely has good eyes when it comes to role players...!

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

As long as the rules say you can only put 5 players on the court, it will make sense to trade 4 or 5 good ones for a great one. You can replace the good ones, and it's easier to do so once you have great ones -- especially great facilitators -- to attract them.

A great player creates mismatches that unlock the potential of good players around him. The no-zone rule makes it easier to exploit those mismatches. And you can't play 10 good players at once. But you can play 2 great ones and 3 good ones, with another 2 or 3 good ones ready on the bench.

The only rational limit on the accumulation of great players is the salary cap. And even there, the max-salary rule means that the most underpaid players are the greatest ones.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hell yeah! I love 'what would you do if you hit the lotto' scenarios!

14. rockets13champs

Rivers and Tucker wouldn’t be here if we didn’t have cp3. Cp3 attracts a lot of free agents

15. apatel123

apatel123 Member

meanwhile Sam Dekker faints

rocketman84 likes this.
  16. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

This will all be moot after the Rockets win the ring this year.

rocks123 likes this.
  17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I don't hate the trade and think we would be where we were before the trade had we not made it. My issue with the trade at the time was the haul we gave up for CP3 - look at comparable trades for guys like Paul George and it becomes evident that we gave up a whole lot. Lou, Bev, and picks should have done it. Montrezl,

vince likes this.
  18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Can we please stop with this garbage? The CP3 trade was great for the Rockets. Yes, it would've been nice to not lose Harrell in the deal, but otherwise it was a solid trade. We went 65-17 last season including a 42-3 record when CP3, Harden, and Capela all suited up. We became a great defensive team. We were one win away from the title. And once Morey found suitable replacements for Ariza and Luc this season(and the roster got healthy), the Rockets are right back where they were last year.

And before anyone brings up how injury prone Paul is, let's not forget that Bev missed almost all of last season and has not exactly been reliable himself in previous years.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

they would still be that early round exit team

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

Like everyone here, I like Lou Williams, but him trying to guard Mitchell would have been a sad thing to see.