1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the next head coach wants to be a GM is morey gone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Mr Chuck Norris

Say if JVG or Thib wants full control like Doc, or SVG. Is morey out of here?

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

we'd have the same problem. There needs to be a balance between the coach and the GM. Both need to criticize one another, and reach middle ground for the best of the team. You can't have one person calling all the shots.

1 person likes this.
  3. rocketshopeful

how does it work in San Antonio? Does Buford really do alot of the personnel decisions? thought Pop does most of that too.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Its interesting you bring that up because Pop actually cited that as one of the reasons they have been so successful. They both argue and bring the best out in one another.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Obviously the coach has a place in planning, however the GM needs to make the call. Sometimes it helps to listen to your coach, but if your coach is talking about getting Royce White, then you need to ignore him. I'm surprised people don't think about how much the owner gets involved on these matters, of assistant gms, or coaches... I'm sure Morey has a cabinet he consults. This is not the Moreyshow, despite his name being the blame target.

6. rocketshopeful

good to know!

7. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

agree with LPH, it would be a lot healthier to have a GM and a coach who are both empowered. even if the coach isnt a super star like pop, i think if youre going to hire a coach you need to give them an opportunity to succeed by empowering them too.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Danny Ainge hired a coach with a system. Then he gave him a 7 year deal to build that system into a culture.

Ainge knows what players to get for that system, and players know if they don't listen to the coach they will be gone before he is. The coach's contract and backing by management gives him the ability to do his job and hold players accountable.

This is similar with the Spurs and anywhere else that gives the coach power to do their job. This is why the svg and doc deals work well. If the coach is the gm, as a coach they have power to hold players accountable or remove them from the team.

there are no coaches out there this summer worth the doc/svg deals. Not jvg, not thibs. These guys are too one sided. Instead, I would go with the Celtics/Spurs model of giving the coach a long term contract and a lot of say in implementing his system.

1 person likes this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post...

10. malakas

malakas Member

Not at all. If the Coach is also the Gm there are problems when players hear their name in rumours. Can't trust anymore the coach. Doc especially has had many problems with that.
    Also coaches are much more short sighted GMs.
    SVG has also Arm Tellem a legendary ex agent as PBO. It's not like he's alone in the job.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You all did not say something when McHale was here. Milk Hair this, McFail that

He has been an above average GM and was an average coach.

He did ok in both departments. Had some real nice moments.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I want Morey gone, but I'd rather we had 2 separate people serving as GM and coach. They have to work together obviously and the GM must have the coach's back. But I think it works better when you don't have the coach making the personnel decisions.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sounds like how the Texans do business.

14. Fantasma Negro

I don't think Jeff would want that, I think he would have it the same way it was last time with Dawson. If Jeff needs say a pg, he'll tell gm to make a list and they both make a decision. Plus Jeff wasn't a big trade guy, he likes scrap heap streer fas and 10 -day contract vets. I think Jeff was annoyed with Morey giving him coaching advice. He says it all the time, Morey tried to sell him on the idea of two for one situation with 35 seconds on the shot clock and Jeff refused to listen, which is funny seeing trendy two for one situational basketball strategy has become

15. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

For the record, Pop was gm of the spurs and named himself coach. Pretty easy to have a long leash when you have to fire yourself. Once again pop and stevens are two of the best coaches in the league. If that is your standard you are going to be pretty disappointed in the rockets coach more often than not.

16. hakeemthagreat

I don't recall Les holding analytic conferences every year. I seriously doubt Les created Moreyball. When we got to the WCF last year, 99% of the credit went to Daryl Morey, yet we're supposed to shift blame off of Morey when theres a failure? I'm not sure we're being realistic

17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Yes... But they work together to bring in the best player that fits their system.. They are not necessarily looking for superstars..

T_Man

18. rockets13champs

I think if morey places a stack of analytics stuff on thibs office he would toss it out.

19. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

How was the relationship between Adelman and Morey during the year of our win streak and our playoff run?

Adelman was great - really missed how the team played under him.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The coach won't get hired