1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

*IF* the Dwight/LA trade is legit, what's Morey's plan B?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Aug 9, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm of the opinion that this is still not done and we could be in for another twist in the Dwightmare in the morning... but we'll see.

But let's assume for a minute that Hennigan is a raging idiot and would rather get raped by LA than do what's best for his team.

Where do we go from here?

I've said many times I don't buy this is a full rebuild. Not while Martin and Patterson are still likely starters on the Rockets. We won't be bad enough for a top five pick. Maybe one or if we're REALLY lucky two of our young guys could turn out to be all-stars, but I don't see a clear path toward becoming a championship contender here. My worry is that Martin and Patterson will start the season on the Rockets, and the team will be just good enough NOT to draft a potential superstar. Then, when Martin and Patterson leave, our youngs will have developed enough not to suck, and we'll be right back into mediocrity.

But it doesn't HAVE to go down that way. If Morey can set aside his "max value" goggles for a minute, maybe, just maybe, he can do the smart thing and trade Martin and Patterson before the season starts.

My opinion? Martin still makes way too much sense for Utah. Get in there, trade Martin, the DAL pick, 2nd rounders, and however many forwards it takes to snag either Derrick Favors OR Enes Kanter.

Then we'll be rebuilding. Until we make a trade similar to that (maybe not that exact deal)... or unless this Howard debacle falls apart yet again... we're still mediocre.

And waiting until the trade deadline may not get it done.

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Free Agency or Trade deadline

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sign Carlos Delfino :p

Ha, nah I don't know. Probably start shaping out the roster. Nothing major.

4. vernonmaxwell86

there is no plan b

play the young guys and enter free agency with bynum or whoever as a target

5. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

He's probably going to set his sights on a good all-star that can be had at an affordable price.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Martin's expiring gets shipped at the deadline...

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Shabazz Muhammad

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin and Toronto pick for CP3 in February. That plan will fail, too.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not going to happen.

You know Stern promised the Magic the #1 pick. But even if the lottery wasn't rigged, our chances would be MINIMAL of getting the top pick considering we will be seeded 8-12 in the lottery.

10. thekad

thekad Member

Stay mediocre.

That was also Plan A.

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Bynum reportedly will re-sign in Philly.

My concern is all the over hype of the rookies based on playing a summer league schedule against teams with a few first round picks and rosters filled out with guys that may not make d-league teams. The chances of them becoming superstars are probably about the same as having Dwight re-sign here after a trade.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

13. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

If the Magic dont get the number 1 pick this year, they will get it 2014 and get Wiggins

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Then it's Nerlens Noel. A Center! Not a biggy

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think it's what the above poster said.

I think Morey will keep working the phones like he would do in any case.
    But that Jazz idea is not happening (Kanter/Favors makes too much sense long term to ship them for scraps).
    Derrick Williams maybe? Adelman would have to push for Martin for it to happen, imo. As an outside fan, I wouldn't trade Williams unless the Rockets include Lamb and multiple other pieces, but who knows. Again, there are plenty of Wolves-Rockets connections going on, so I wouldn't be stunned if there's a deal.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Andrew Wiggins

17. QazQay

QazQay Member

He'll probably target some undersized pfs.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Jujuan Johnson will play all five positions while the other 21 are traded for Carlos delfino

19. Shirt Off

Shirt Off Member

Andrew Wiggins will be a Laker by the time he reaches his prime tho

dont you ppl get it

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It doesn't bother me we may not/won't get Dwight... what bothers me is not knowing if the Rockets' ill-fated "rebuild without losing" approach of the past few years has truly changed. It certainly looks like they have taken a different approach, but we'll see.

Rockets still have to do something with Kevin Martin... I thought for sure he'd be dealt this summer (he, like Lowry, burned bridges here), but if they don't have a Dwight-type deal lined up, then I would guess they either flip him for a similar contract expiring in 2013, or they hold him until the trade deadline.

Just really hoping the Rockets are committed to long-term thinking here.