1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the choice for a BIG were Okur, Blount or Magliore?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, May 21, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Three 'Bigs' will be on the market this summer and should likely command similar pay packages. They are Okur, magliore, and Blount. All can be expected to play significant minutes between the 4 and 5 spots. (All would likely require a SnT to Rox, possibly for TE?)

Who is your first choice? Mine is Magliore.

I'll even be happy with Dice for the MLE.

2. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

I like Magliore. What is his hieght and weight.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Magloire without a doubt. I'm not a big fan of Blount, and i do not know why everybody is such a fan of Okur, magloire is a payer who plays with intensity. I think he would be a better 4 then 5 but i do not mind if he plays some backup minutes behind Yao

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Magliore signed a big contract earlier this season. He isnt on the market unless you are talking trade and I doubt they would give him up without getting a lot back. They need him moving into the West this year.

Blount will be available but probably for the full MLE. He is targeting Miami or Oralando. He has a home there I believe.

Okur will cost more than the MLE.

But if I could choose either one of them I choose Magliore.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

It seems to me that Magloire is anther Cato. he rebounds and defends but really does not have much of an offensive game. Okur can defend and rebound a little but can also hit a mid range jumper. He is really a bigger MoT with not quite the scoring but better rebounding and defense. I say if we somehow move Cato, get Magloire; or if we move MoT, we should get Okur.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Are you sure he signed a contract? I was told (authoritatively, I thought) in December he was unsigned but plans were to sign him. A player cannot sign a new contract once the season begins, IIRC).

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

None of the above. I think our PF solution lies in a trade, not a FA pickup.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Magliore signed for the next 3 years. You would have heard a lot more about him if he was a pending FA.

Dampier and Camby are available bigs, assuming they opt out.

Evan

9. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Okur! Okur is awesome. Loved that alley oop he threw down yesterday in the Nets game. Plus he can shoot threes.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

Magliore would be a nice pick up, but I think he might clog the lane for Yao. He doesn’t have much range outside of 5 feet. Same as Cato.

Blount wouldn’t play much more then Weatherspoon did behind Taylor and Cato.

Okur would be the best choice of the three. Better rebounder than Taylor. Better defender then Taylor (though not much). Better offensive game than Cato and is much more efficient on the offensive end then Taylor is. He doesn’t require a lot of touches or a lot of minutes to produce on offense.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree. There just arent any UN-restricted FA PFs out there that fit the mold of what we want at the value we are willing to pay.

I think trade is the more logical solution.

12. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Magliore is a nice center, but that doesnt mean he will make a good powerforward. PFs we need should have more mobility and range. One of our weaknessses was playing teams that have a "mobile four". I dont think magloire could do a better job than cato guarding them and magliore would probably be burnt trying to guard garnett, duncan webber, nowitzki since he is a big and slow C.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The unresolved question to me is -- do the Rox look for a banger who clogs up the inside for Yao or a 4 with range, more like C Webb, LaFrentz, Walker? (No, I am not suggesting any of them I am merely contrasting.)

I favor a tough 4 who can take it outside. Cato with Padgett's shot, for example. Or Moto (MoT/Cato morphed).

14. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

magloire no contest......thinkin of him teamed up w/ Yao....wow...

15. Sane

Sane Member

How about a Stromile Swift, who can block/rebound with the best of them, as well as hit the 15-ft jumper?

For someone without range, aside from Ben Wallace, Kelvin Cato is the one of the best fits in the league at PF.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

surely we need a 4 that has the speed and lateral movement to guard faster jump shooting PFs that seem to give us fits... most of the suggestions in this thread are just centres and we already have the hallucination

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This was not a suggestion. This was a question about these guys' availability to, and interest by, the Rox.

18. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I'd rather have a guy like Etan Thomas at half the price.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Magloire's certainly better than Cato... A tougher rebounder and a more mobile defender, with much better hands and a soft touch around the basket. But he really wouldn't fit in with us. I think he played with Padgett on the Kentucky NCAA Championship team...

Okur, on the other hand, would be the perfect fit. A tough rebounder and adequate defender with range out to the three point line, he'd be a really nice complement to Yao.

20. Sane

Sane Member

This isn't true, Magloire doesn't have a "soft touch" around the basket. Once he's seriously defended, he can't make a decent % of his shots, and that's because if he has no shot beyond 5 feet.

He's not a better rebounder than Cato.

Magloire: Younger, more athletic
    Cato: Stronger, bigger, better shotblocker, better man-to-man defender

I don't think Magloire can do better than Cato at PF next to Yao.

Okur maybe, but again, we need some quickness ta PF.

I kept saying at the beginning of the season, our Forwards all lack athleticism. Everyone has at least one athletic guy, even if he can't shoot or defend, whatever. Sometimes, you just need someone who can jump high for rebounds, and has a humongous wingspan.

I'm getting more and more obssessed with Stromile Swift everyday.