1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Mobley Leaves, what could we get in return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by barbourdg, Jul 20, 2000.

Tags:
  1. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

If the worse case situation becomes reality, and he goes to Toronto. I am sure his loyalty to Rudy, would allow us to do a sign & trade deal. Is there anything that Toronto has that we might want? What about if Rashard signs with Tornonto, and then we do a sign and trade with Cat for Rashard. Any suggestions?

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If they sign Rashard, they can't trade him for 60 days I believe. The most likely option is Doug Christie. He's an SG, has a relatively low salary of just over $2 million per season, and has recently fallen out of favor with management. He is the most likely option I see at this point if we were to do a sign and trade with Cuttino.

------------------
    Member of the pro-Collier/Langhi movement. IN RUDY WE TRUST!!

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

While the relation between the two are relatively small, I think that Cuttino's departure could do nothing but hurt the Rockets.
    What could we get in "return"? Hmm...I have not heard many rumors as to what players will be coming to the Rockets other than Austin Croshere. He would certainly fill Mobley's role as a sixth man.

If you are referring to what players we might be able to bring in to replace the Cat in terms of a similar player, I could only tell you that there are not that many such players that are currently available. Derek Anderson sounds like a good option, but there's no way he's coming here.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

4. UTrocket

UTrocket Member

There is no driving force for a trade. Why would mobley take the ~4 million the rockets can offer in a sign and trade when toronto could pay him more outright. Why would he try to hurt the team he would be joining by forcing it to trade players.

As I see it mobley has a decison between an immediate payday with long term security and a slightly smaller payday with hopes of a big jackpot in a year. I personally hope that he is a rocket for years to come and I hope that les takes care of our little buddy. That being said I don't think that he will improve drastically over the next year or so (he's already a stud). This may hurt his market value because teams will no longer pay for the mythical potential that we hear so much about.

I think that if mobley re-signs and we get some contributions down low from our tall white draft picks we fans could be in for an entertaining season next year.

Does anyone know what the tax difference is between canada and the US. Obviously canada is higher but by how much? Does it matter that alot of the games are played in the US?

------------------

5. Gascon

Gascon Member

I think a lot of people are making too big a deal out of the Canadian taxes. I don't know exactly how bad they are, but I can't imagine they're bad enough to make any free agents turn their respective noses up at six million a year.

------------------
    "I'll take a Dream Shake for two, please."

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I think a lot of people are making too big a deal out of the Canadian taxes. I don't know exactly how bad they are,but I can't imagine they're bad enough to make any free agents turn their respective noses up at six million a year.

Mobley's situation isn't really an issue of turning down $6M. Toronto is offering around $5M while the Rockets are offering $4.1M. Factor in the Canadian taxes and Mobley won't be making very much more in Toronto. Personally I think bigger factor is that Toronto is much closer to his hometown of Philly.

------------------

7. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Just curious. When is Michael Dickerson going to be become a free agent? Would there be any possability of him resigning with the Rockets? I realize it is highly unlikely considering he is the starting shooting guard for the Grizz and is only going to improve. The Grizz would be crazy to let him go.

------------------
    President of the Austin Croshere fan club.

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

I thought our ability to pay Mobley $4.1 million was dependent on other teams making him an offer of that amount. We can only match an offer up to that amount, right?

------------------