1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Miami doesn't win a title this year...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Feb 24, 2012.

1. SunsRocketsfan

If Miami doesn't win a title this year....

I am going to celebrate like I did last year! :grin:

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yup, people forget guys are winning rings at 30-34...

Bron is definitely gone at the end of his contract, if they regress any...technically there's room to improve this year, so i dont think they'll panic if they lose again.

3. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Wade is declining? Is this the same guy that started the "Chris Paul is overrated" thread

4. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I'm praying to the basketball gods that the Thunder will beat them in the finals. That's the only team I think that has any chance of beating them in a series. :(

5. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

They look like they're on a roll. The competition is either too old (BOS, LAL) or not as battle tested (OKC, CHI, IND). Its their title to lose

On that note I dont see them repeating.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem with Wade isn't age, its the way he became a superstar, basically getting beat down 9 times and getting up 10 night in and night out. His body is aging almost as fast as Kobe's, maybe even faster. He can still bring it most nights but his "off" nights are becoming more and more frequent, when previously during his "Flash" days it was basically non-existent.

Regarding Miami, the reason why they won't win a title is simple: not enough talent on the team. Yeah, yeah, yeah 3 of the top 15 players in the NBA on the same team and all that BS, Miami still won't get it done because other teams have both superstars and depth. No team has ever won a ring with just 3 superstars and scrubs, but a lot of teams have won with just 1 superstar and roleplayers playing out of their minds. They're playing really well right now but that's because their 3 guys are still relatively fresh. Come playoff time I don't know what shape those 3 will be in.

7. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

^^^Their supporting cast isn't just scrubs. Haslem, Miller and Battier are all good role players. Plus Norris Cole is decent as a back up point. Not to mention that Pat Riley will probably make a move or two before the deadline.

8. lalala902102001

They had a five year window when the super friends got together. They didn't win it in year one, but they should have a few more shots left.

Unless some unforseen injury happens, I think they will win it all this year.

9. lalala902102001

Wade is averaging career lows in minutes played, points, rebounds, and assists since his second year. He's missed a lot of games this year already. He's still very efficient but clearly his body can no longer hold up playing close to 40 minutes per game. Guards usually start a sharp decline once they hit 30, especially those who rely on athleticism as much as Wade does. It is not unreasonable to think that wade's best years are behind him.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Championship or bust.

No excuses if they don't win it this year. The precise reason they got together in the first place is to out-talent all the other teams in the league.

They set a high standards for themselves, I doubt they will ever reach it.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I think their best chance of winning the title are their 2nd and 3rd year...that's when usually a new team of stars peaks

I would put their chances at 80% this and 70% for next year to win the title

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

For them not to win it, they'll have to miss the Finals. I can't see them losing in the Finals again if they reach it. And right now, I don't see them missing the finals with the way they're playing.

13. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

It's a shortened season, players and teams are going to be extra cautious with minutes and games played. He's averaging 22 ppg playing alongside a guy averaging 27.4 and another at 18.4. You can't expect his stats to stay his career course when he has other guys like that around him that will be purging his stat line. To say he's "declining" to me means you see a noticeable dip in his play i.e. can't move as well, not as explosive, no leap. I don't see that. When I watch him play now he looks just as good and as athletic as he did in prior years.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And...how old is Kobe?

See, Kobe won two rings at 31 and 32. And now Wade doesn't have to get beat up all the time. Plus, you forget this is a compressed season. Less minutes is common for many players.

Wade's PER is at 28 this year...that's great. And on less usage...that's the plan since the trade. The trade is to keep him just as efficient on less usage.

Look at it this way, at age 30, Ginobili was no where close to Wade's effectiveness now, and everyone was raving about him -- even some saying he was top 2 SG, and his numbers are nowhere close to Wade's this year. Wade is playing great...just less usage.

This is EXACTLY what Miami wants ... bring Wade's minutes down to Ginobili's MPG at age 30. It's the plan!

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

No team ever has an 80% chance to win a championship. It doesn't matter how good you are. Hollinger's playoff odds give them a 40.8% chance to win it all, more than twice as high as any other team in the league. That seems reasonable.

16. rju1986

rju1986 Member

As much as I would love to see the Heat fail, their big 3 are not declining. Rest assure..

If they don't win, at ALL, it could be considered the biggest embarrassment in NBA history.
    Odds and chances are, they will. They just need to get into the playoffs, they'll set the pace as a run n' gun team.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If the thunder could beat them I'd be as happiest about the nba since 1995.

18. disguyman

disguyman Member

If the Heat don't win this year, it will be all on Lebron. There aren't that many teams that can win it this year. Bulls, Heat, OKC, Mavs, and Spurs.

19. Rox11

Rox11 Member

You do know as a writer Hollinger has to come up with "stats" and reasons. He cant just say things.
    We basketball fans on the other hand just see who is dominant and has the best shot.
    Don't look to much into those pro analysts.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

If Miami doesn't win, Riley will be fired, LerBon traded to Phill and Bosh back to the pet store. The Heat will be sold and moved to Nebraska. The NBA loses its International grip and the CBA becomes the new basketball league superpower. Lin is sexy time explosion. And Twilight comes out with 3 more movies.