1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF Melo goes on the trade block, should the Rockets get him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. torocan

torocan Member

Stephen A. Smith on ESPN today said that he believe that if the Knicks don't get their act together soon, Melo may not re-sign once FA hits.

If Melo intends to leave the Knicks, then the list of teams that have the assets, cap space, roster and cachet to get a player like Melo to re-sign is pretty darn short.

Houston
    Dallas
    Lakers
    Clippers
    Chicago

Maybe one or two other teams.

Given that list, I believe that Houston would have the highest chance to not only give the best package and make the salaries match, but the highest chance to re-sign Melo into a multiple year contract.

Melo is currently making $21M this year, $23M next year.

The Rockets could field a trade package of Asik + Lin + Parsons/filler + picks. Right now the Rockets are loaded with picks, and even if they did that trade they would *still* be under the cap.

Here is how loaded the Rockets are with picks...

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Rockets.htm

If the Knicks did that trade, they would probably need to do a full rebuild. That would include trading Tyson Chandler for younger players/picks (redundant with Asik), as well as trading Amare Stoudamire's contract next year as an expiring for players and/or picks, or just let Stat's contract run out to shed salary.

Now, on the down side I wonder about fit between Harden, Dwight and Melo. Melo is a ball dominant 3, with the ability to play the 4 but he has size issues in terms of defending the 4.

Melo's lack of consistent defensive play is well known. And his willingness to pass is inconsistent. On the other hand he's dominant down low, and has unlimited range. He can hit jumpers, bully in the post, and hit the 3.

That said, I think if a player like Melo becomes available for role players + picks, as a GM you pretty much have to make the trade, see if you can make it work, then if it doesn't work consider trading one of them later for assets/picks.

Thoughts?

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

3. bmd

bmd Member

Hell no.

I'd rather the Rockets sign a bowl of potato salad than Melo.

4. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

5. Play07

Play07 Member

harden $16,000,000
    Howard $22,000,000
    Melo $23,000,000

that's 3 players $60,000,000... My answer is NO

6. thejav

thejav Member

God no...

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The question you have to ask yourself is, the things that Melo is best at, does that satisfy a Rockets need? And the things that Melo is poor at, does that augment the Rockets current deficiencies?

8. Little General

9. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Not with Harden on the team, if we trade for Melo it better be for Harden.

Harden/Melo/Dwight has fail written all over it No Thanks!

Give me Melo/Shumpert and you can have Harden right now!

pg:Lin
    sg:Shumpert
    sf:parsons
    pf:Melo
    c:Dwight

That is like the perfect lineup in todays NBA.

1.Melo go-to scorer
    2.Dwight/Shumpert defensive leaders
    3.Parsons/Lin good role players

10. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

No, Melo's cap space could be used to upgrade PG,PF and extend Parsons.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

No thanks. I'd rather move Asik and fillers to upgrade the team, keep Lin and Parsons and see where we stack up after this season and the playoffs.

Melo just doesn't seem like a guy other players want to play with. He's Kobe with lesser talent and drive/determination to win. On top of that I would rather just see the Knicks continue to struggle to put a real contender together rather than help them start over.

12. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Yes, Morey would do that. I think they try to keep Parsons though, due to his contract.

If by "loaded with picks" you mean loaded with second rounders, yes. We simply have all of our own first rounders going forward other than that.

You would need all 3 stars to really buy in, though. A Melo/Harden 1-2 would be unstoppable. Team USA Melo is what you need to look for as an example, dude was crazy efficient playing next to other good players.

13. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

Melo and Harden are not a good fit. Harden is younger and can get better. Melo is what he is, a volume scorer who does not make his teammates better.

14. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

There's only one ball to go around. You think Dwight is gonna be okay with having only 3-5 attempts a game? He cried about it all last year with the Lakers, just because he's with the team of his choice now don't start thinking he won't start crying about it again. I'm still waiting to hear him complain about not getting enough shot attempts.

15. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

WHO???????????????????

16. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Everyone ragging on Melo in this thread is being ridiculous. The dude dominates as a small ball 4. The best player the Knicks have ever put around him on offense is J.R. Smith. Think about Durant w/out Westbrook to take some of the load off of him. That's Melo every night. Hell, look at the HOU - NYK game a week ago.

17. CertifiedTroll

Delusional Laker fan

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Could you imagine the hate we'd generate if signed Melo? Not that I care or do I want to sign him but just imagine that.

19. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Melo is too expensive. And I am not sure how Harden and Melo could coexist.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

Give me Shumpert