1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If MDA was a good coach...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketMAD, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

ok tilman

clutchdabear, D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

giphy.gif

D-rock likes this.
  3. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Rockets fans are fine with being good in the regular season and "almost in the Playoffs" excuses. That much is clear.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

better than being a non-Rockets fan

jcf, D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  5. pippsux

pippsux Member

He is a stubborn old coach that won't change. I've grown tired of his aww chucks coaching.

ipaman likes this.
  6. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I mean... when half or all your coaching staff is erased from existence like those dunks and 3s, all you can do is fold your arms, cross your legs, and blame the effort.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Especially when a supposed great coach can't teach DEFENSE without having a coordinator come in and do it for him. MDA should give half his check back to Tilman since he only coaches half the game. Frankly it's ridiculous that he's allowed to get away with that. Everybody was on Harden for playing offense only but MDA gets a pass for doing the same thing?!?! It's a joke a guy like that could get a high profile job like the Rox.

vlaurelio likes this.
  8. ballgame

ballgame Member

WHY WOULD HE LEAVE WESTBROOK IN UNTIL HE PICKED UP THE 2ND TECHNICAL FOUL????

I must admit, I love the Rockets new system and I credit that to MDA but it's the small things that boggles the mind! Like not going deep into his rotation when you are up by 30, not getting Bruno more playing time AND not taking Westbrook out of the game, when he was getting his shot blocked, getting the ball stole from him in meaningless minutes.

I think Westbrook currently has 14 technical fouls and the minimum is 16 before you are suspended and the Playoffs are fast approaching. Everybody could see what was coming. Why couldn't MDA????

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

what in the world are you talking about. everybody saw wb popping off and getting ejected. ok. what's the lotto numbers coming up

StrawberryJamm likes this.
  10. ballgame

ballgame Member

No doubt! Westbrook was in the wrong BUT also, everyone saw it leading up to that. He should have never been in the game at that point! Prior to that, he had his shot blocked 3 or 4 times, he had the ball stripped from him several times against players with lesser talent....Why not take him out?

bj3175 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

why not take him out. Bc at this point the rockets need as much real time reps as they can get.

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Fools still 2nd guessing MDA???

THIS THREAD AGED WELL......

NOT!!!!!

LOL

Remlap likes this.
  13. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Yes - but he’s not simply a good coach.

He’s an elite, first ballot hall of fame coach.

He has a data driven prices that consistently wins and maximizes his talent.

But knock yourself out imagining that you’d be better than one of the most innovative and winningest coaches of all time.

14. ballgame

ballgame Member

I think you guys misconstrued what I was saying. I never once said MDA was not a good coach. As a matter of fact, I credit him for the Rockets new system and I think he's a first ballot HOF. However, he seems to fall asleep at the wheel sometimes, which hurts his team.

Short rotations, lack of foresight (Like leaving Westbrook in too long to pick up that 2nd tech) and not developing younger players. And I think the most of that is what separates him from a Popovich. Pop goes deep into his rotations and he develops younger players.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Playing 12, his entire bench except for Tyson, was a short rotation?

Leaving Russ that extra minute is what caused him to elbow Lee in the chest, antagonize the Dubs bench then start arguing with refs and security? Maybe you think we should have played him only 28 minutes, is that the magic number? Or even zero minutes to make sure he does not foul out or get hurt???

Did Morey fall asleep at the wheel when he developed Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson to multiple All Stars each? Or elevated Nash at the age of 30 to a 2 time MVP?

And Clint Capela seems to have done just fine under MDA. Perhaps if D'Antoni had more first rounders he could have developed those too.

Or do you believe that he should be making undrafted FA's and late 2md rounders into All Stars as well?

fckbandwagons and clutchdabear like this.
  16. BigBum

BigBum Member

6 years with Suns and 3 years with Rockets, 1 yr Lakers, 1 yr nuggets

playoffs record 49 wins 49 losses

17. Remlap

Remlap Member

If you include the years that he was 'actually' head coach,
    PHX and HOU, then his playoff record is a respectable 49-41 (.544)

(He never was HC in Denver)
    In NY, he had the Carmelo plague. Melo refused to run his system
    and wanted all of the touches and all of the points (remember Linsanity?
    All of that 'magic' happened when Melo was injured and out of the picture. Now we understand why Melo was cut so quickly here in HOU)

Fast forward to LAL and that was still Kobe's team. Likewise, Kobe wasn't all about sharing.
    He was all about Kobe. Not the right personnel to run MDA's system anyway.

I guess people have short memories.
    It was only a couple of years ago that we had 'The Greatest Team Ever Assembled" on the mat,
    and we were up 3-2 in the series. But CP's hammy decided it wasn't going to continue with us
    and the rest is history. (That and some 'magic' little zebras with whistles)
    This was the equivalent of Frazier taking down Ali. NO team had done this to the KD version of the Warriors.
    But Mike D'Antoni's Rockets did. Give the man some credit.
    If CP's hammy hadn't popped, we likely win that series and win it all.

THAT SERIES ALONE, forged my respect for Mike D'Antoni.
    You can't say he's not a good coach when we had a heavyweight bully on the ropes.
    That was hardly by accident.

It gets old listening to ungrateful people whine about 'not winning it all'.
    We proved ourselves at that moment that we were the BEST in the Association.
    Unfortunately, fate intervened and the whiners have never stopped pointing fingers

coyotetex, D-rock and Plowman like this.
  18. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

If he has good players, I think his strategy works. He still can improve the defence and when to call timeout.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Give mad props to MDA. He outcoached the F out of COTY Billy Donovan. Donovan was looking for solutions for 3 quarters, couldn't find one.

20. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

The action done for Houston is champion. All people only focus on that and dont care about the process. MDA still needs to prove for it

hakeem94 and Imanimal like this.