1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Les Alexander and Mark Cuban switched teams, would the Rockets be better?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 18, 2015.

?

Who would be a better owner for the Rockets?

1. Les Alexander

267 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Mark Cuban

209 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Equal

31 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you work for a corporation, they pay for the suite. Those aren't owned by 'people'.
    Also working for a corporation or any company, you have something called 'culture'. And great CEOs can change culture and make a better product.

As pointed out by Dirk, the Mavericks were trash. They weren't even our rivals. Players didn't want to play there. They were worse than the Sixers of now. Cuban changed that.

Les bought the team the year they won the championship and fired the GM that got all the pieces of the championship team.

And I mentioned I made this thread in 2015. If I were to update this one. I would say the Golden State ownership seems super solid.
    They changed the crappy uniforms to a very classic look, built a solid organization and now will move to the NBA's first Billion Dollar stadium.
    Somehow they convinced Durant to join too.

2. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Yea, they did a good job, for sure (GSW).

Also, I'm talking about your salary. On the averages, entrepreneurs make nearly twice as much as their sr. management corporate counterparts. Why? Because corporations have to feed the bottom line. It all comes at a cost to the customer or the employee. Longer hours, higher prices, or both.

Annnnnd, senior decision makers often have stock options that incentivize them to squeeze more production out of each dollar in salary so their bottom line increases which directly increases their net worth.

It has nothing to do with box seats. Good for you on those btw. Why the eff are you complaining about seat prices if you get them for free.99?

3. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Les also kept Dawson and Morey around, wash. Also, your great CEO argument proves my point. All ex-rockets have great relationships with Les and the org.

At best you can say Cuban changed the business culture but not the championship culture. Again, he makes poor choices with personnel.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh really? How about Charles Barkley?

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...ley-explains-distaste-for-Rockets-8323575.php

NBA legend Charles Barkley was the first guest on Bill Simmons' new show Any Given Wednesday, which premiered this week on HBO. Simmons and Barkley also taped a bonus segment that wasn't aired but is available on HBO Go.

In that 12-minute clip, Barkley retold a story about how he thinks the Rockets cheated him out of money during his playing career, and explains why he is so hard on the Rockets so often during his appearances on TNT.

Barkley has told this story before, although the numbers seems to change with each telling.

The gist is that when the Rockets wanted to sign Scottie Pippen for the 1998-99 season, they asked Barkley to take a pay cut to make room for Pippen. Barkley agreed and played that season for $1 million. Barkley says he only did so because he was promised a big contract for the 1999-00 season. He also says he never got the payday the Rockets promised him.

Here's the version he told Simmons this week after being asked how many years during his career he was out of shape:

"The only year that I was fat was my last year in Houston, because they had promised me $12 million," Barkley said. "When I showed up, the contract was only for $8 million. And I said, 'What happened to my other $4 million?' They said, 'Well we just decided to keep it.'

"I was so pissed. What had happened was I took a paycut so we could sign Scottie Pippen ... So they said, 'We need you to take a paycut so we can sign Scottie.' I said, 'OK, I would love to play with Scottie.' They said, 'We'll give you $12 million next year.' So when I showed up the next year, they bring me a contract. I said, 'This looks like an 8.' They said, 'Yeah, we're going to give you $8 million.' I said, 'What about the other $4 million?' They're like, 'Well, we just changed our mind.' So I wasn't motivated."

5. tinman

Supporting Member

You know they were looking to sign Rick Adelman while JVG was STILL COACHING
    Poor Rick got lowballed so he never came back
    Hakeem Olajuwon should have never played in Toronto, he wanted more money but Rockets didn't match and traded him to Toronto.
    At least Kobe and Tim Duncan never had to play for another team.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  6. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

One player that can be super controversial? Ok. Dirk took a pay cut too bc the organization posted 5 straight years of operating losses. That's worse. At least Les was trying to fit another hall of fame in. You're invoking a famous rockets hater to prove your point and all because of money. I thought money made it dirty? That's why you criticized Les right? Quality example, bravo. You truly are a Rox fan. Side with someone that only cared about the money to prove your point. I'm sure retirement and pissing away his money had nothing to do with it.

Plus, Les learned and took a lighter approach to personnel decisions, deferring to Morey after those two moves didn't work out.

7. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Umm, erroneous. Hakeem actually helped broker the assets we got in return bc he didn't want us to get screwed. Also, he still chills with Les. Now u making stuff up

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Again you don't understand the situation of the past.

Barkley signed a contract to have a back end kicker so we can have a better team.
    These type of deals were not legal.
    That was called the JOE SMITH rule. The TWolves did this to sign Joe Smith and were caught. So they got screwed over on draft picks.

Here's video evidence that Barkley was owed

9. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Look I'll just say it right now, one jilted player vs an entire history of players doesn't prove your point that Cuban did a better job. Rondo left pissed as hell from the Mavs.

Also, you need to stop on the "knowledge" bombs. Capital letters don't prove your point. There's always gonna be some bad relationships. That's the world.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Says the kid who wasn't there when it happened...

If I had the power to throw you back in time, I'd make you watch those terrible Rockets team without Dream and leave you there

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...akeem-Olajuwon-s-trade-to-Toronto-9053966.php

Aug. 2, 2001, marked the end of the Hakeem Olajuwon era in Houston, with the Rockets trading their star center to the Toronto Raptors. For the greatest player in franchise history, the Rockets received a first-round pick in 2002 (used on Bostjan Nachbar), a second-round pick that year (used on Tito Maddox) and a trade exception.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I won't stop dropping knowledge on you cause you really know little about the Rockets history

Look at the poll numbers and other people who are trying to actually give a true Rockets fans perspective

And I didn't give one reason why I think Les isn't the greatest owner like you do

12. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Idk what pt that proved. We got an entire extra draft from an almost retired Hakeem. That article didn't negate that Hakeem didn't help us get the most we could. You need some gingko for that memory and cognition.

If you gave me a time machine, that'd be tight. I'd go back and give you a hug as a child. You need it.

13. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Wait so now you think he is? I said maybe. I didn't say for sure. Read better, old mana.

Poll numbers has Les ahead. Learn to count. And You might know more Rox history than me, but all that knowledge didn't help your shart arguments.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Cuban did a better job because when he got there, Dallas did not support the Mavericks and nobody wanted to play there.
    He changed that team and culture and the city embraced the Mavericks.

Les inherited a championship calibur team with a hometown college hero Olajuwon who took the Rockets to the Finals in 85.
    The Rockets were supported by the city of Houston.

Oh, I know.. I WAS ALIVE WHEN IT HAPPENED.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

If I made a poll on who was better,

James Harden or Kevin Martin.

James Harden would have at least 99% of the vote.

That's not good numbers for your argument. Les should have dominated if he was that great.

I HONESTY HOPE YOU GET A JOB WITH THE ROCKETS NOW.

16. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

You need to read my arguments again. Also, for someone who seemingly thinks he's smart, you sure make a lot of assumptions. Don't continue with arguments you don't know for sure. Just makes you sound childish.

Anyways, have a good night, TM. We'll meet again as I can tell you like to get into arguments with a lot of ppl with no discernible flow, order or consistency. You'll grasp at any port in the storm just to feel comfortable. Those types of people are just fun to see get wound up and frantically run around. Adios, amigo.

17. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Me too actually. Since I work primarily in statistical analysis, bball likely would be more fun to analyze. I'll hang with Les and the team while you gripe. Everyone wins.

Also, super loaded prop there. KMart vs Harden isn't the same as Cuban vs Les.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Really? I thought Cuban didn't do anything for his team. he just inherited the perfect situation.

Tell me how much that Rockets salary pays compared to your other offers.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Sorry dude ,
    @Sweet Lou 4 2 pointed out your naiveness and your lack of knowing the full history of this subject clearly shows.
    Buy the book on Rockets history, it will be helpful for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Houston-Rockets-Celebrating-50-Seasons/dp/0990667189

[​IMG]

20. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Gooooodniiiiiiiight, Scarecrow.