1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If LAC worked an Odom trade with us, could we still work out something with Orlando?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, May 12, 2000.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Popeye mentioned that he has hopes we could land Odom and Kandi and their first round pick for Drew, Williams, and Cato (and maybe KT). If that were to happen, could we still pull off another version of the Orlando/Vanvouver/Houston deal Popeye talked about?

Here's one scenario:

<OL>[*] Houston trades: the LAC pick and future pick from Orlando to Orlando,
    [*] Orlando trades the LAC pick to Vancouver, who picks Martin with the first pick of the draft,
    [*] Vancouver trades their future Orlando pick, their next year's pick, their #4 pick to Orlando,
    [*] and Orlando trades Houston the #3 pick (they take Swift), Orlando's #10 pick and Vancouver's next year pick.
    [*] Orlando takes Pfizer with the #4 pick.
    [*] Houston takes Eric Barkley with the #10 pick, then trades him to Chicago for their first round pick next year. This way, Chicago gets Mihm, Courtney Alexander and Eric Barkley to round out their team with Brand and Artest.
    [/list=a]
    So here's what everyone ends up with:

Houston: Swift, next year's Vancouver pick, next year's Chicago pick, and a guarantee that Orlando doesn't take Swift ahead of us.
    Orlando: Pfizer, eliminates obligation to Houston and Vancouver for future first round picks, but only move down one position in the draft and gets the player they like the most anyway, along with 3 players they want later.
    Vancouver:Martin, the coveted first player in the draft that could be their franchise player with Shareef, Bibby and Dickerson.
    Chicago: They get Barkley, the best point guard in the draft along with Mihm, the best center, Alexander, the best shooting guard, which, along with Brand and Artest, gives them an amazing crop of rookies to grow together.

Why would we do this? Because if we get Odom and Swift, we really need a center to replace Dream more than we need Martin. Those picks could be used to trade for Duncan, if he signs a one year deal, or packaged to get the best center in next year's draft. Next year's draft is going to be really good, and I'd rather have draft picks next year than this year, especially if we are tying to integrate Odom, Swift and Kandi into the starting lineup.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

2. davo

davo Contributing Member

Sherlock, I like your analysis but IMHO I see some fundamental problems.

1. The base trade (Houston getting Odom, Kandi and this years pick from LAC for Drew, Williams and Cato) seems too one sided. Thats 3 top 5 picks that LAC would be giving up. If LAC do that deal it's no surprise the franchise sux. (I acknowledge that you are using Popeye's info)
    2. I don't see Chicago settling for so many rookies - they have been gearing towards landing a big free agent and I don't think they are patient enough to go with a core consisting of all those young guys. I'm guessing that any movements they make will be trading picks for marquee players.

Thats some serious work you put into that deal. [​IMG]

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

3. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

That's great but it seems very unlikely.
    Also, that pushes Mobley out the door because Odom would start at the 3, Swift at the 4, Dream at the 5, Shandon at the 2, and Franchise at point. Also, can Francis, Odom, Swift, and the best center next year(maybe Woods or Haywood who wouldn't be problems if they didn't develop great offensive games but they're still solid) share the ball?

------------------

[This message has been edited by DaFranchise (edited May 12, 2000).]

4. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I'm guessing that our lotto pick this year would go LAC as part of the original deal. I also have trouble buying Chicago's interest in this deal. Way to think big though. I can't even begin to think like that on a Friday afternoon.

------------------

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

interesting. But I don't see Vancouver giving up their pick for next year. However, what if you substitute that, for the pick the Rockets owe them, and the Rockets no longer owe them a pick?

I can nearly guarantee the Clippers won't trade Kandi, Odom, and their pick for Walt, KT, Drew, our pick, and Cato. Unless Odom demands a trade, but still, plenty of people would be after him. Maybe if we added the rights to the Detroit pick, and the Orlando pick, and our pick next year, but still, it'd be a long shot.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Swift, 2 high lotto picks, Odom, and Olowokandi for Drew, Walt, and Cato. That sounds fair. I count 5 potential franchise cornerstones, for one 3rd-stringer (on a lottery team) and 2 borderline starters (on a lottery team). Basically five top 5 picks, in exchange for three role players (that's being nice). Where do I sign?!

------------------
    "It was the House of Whores, and then it became...the House of Horrors."

-C.C. Deville

7. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

I didn't even think about the salaries until now but it doesn't work. Kandi probably makes 4 mil, Odom 3, that makes 7. Cato makes 5.5(but base year makes it 2.75), Walt makes 4.5, Drew makes 1.5, and KT makes 1.1. That makes 9.85. I don't think the exception works the other way around but if it does the deal works. Other than that it's impossible.

------------------

8. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

This deal is WAY lopsided in our favor. I'd be happy to do it.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

9. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

Why would LA give Odom away under the new CBA? He is signed for 5 years I believe.

Odom is a pipe-dream.

Forget about it.

10. Jared Nomak

Jared Nomak Member

The chances of landing Lamar Odom are slim, but not a pipedream. Odom becomes a free agent in 2002, the same time as Steve Francis (although by then I'm sure he'll have signed an extension). Also getting Odom would allow versitality at the three since he is 6'10". If the Rockets were to offer the Clippers Bryce Drew, this year's first round pick, Walt Williams, and cash considerations, it could possibly happen.

As for the chances of the trade topic proposed, I doubt that would happen, the deal just seems a little one-sided for the Rockets.

------------------

11. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

The deal does work salary wise for the fact the Clippers are under the cap. No 15% rule.

------------------

12. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

"Bryce Drew, this year's first round pick, Walt Williams, and cash considerations, it could possibly happen." (FOR LAMAR ODOM?!!!)

The clippers can certainly get a lot more than that. That is just pathetic. Sure, we'll take your scrubs for a future superstar. If they clippers even gave so much as an inclination that they were going to give him up, other teams would be offering some gems which would make that deal pale in comparison.

I guarantee they are going to keep odom for the long haul even though they are the clips.

Pipedream.

13. popeye

popeye Member

To clarify:

Sherlock Wrote:"... Popeye mentioned that he has hopes we could land Odom and Kandi and their first round pick for Drew, Williams, and Cato (and maybe KT)..."

Davo Wrote: "... I acknowledge that you are using Popeye's info ...."

Please keep in mind that the "hopes" of Cato, Walt, Drew, KT and picks for Odom in a previous thread was pure fantasy on another posters' part and related to a previous post in that thread. I agreed that I would love/hope for that to happen.

The only real basis for that hope was posted by me in a couple of seperate threads when I mentioned that I knew their was contact between Houston and LAC. And, that the target in those talks was around Odom and Kandiman's availability.

Nikestrad wrote: ".... I can nearly guarantee the Clippers won't trade Kandi, Odom, and their pick for Walt, KT, Drew, our pick, and Cato....." This is very close to my opinion also, except I would maybe give a little more weight to the remote possibility than my friend Nike maybe indicates. This is the Clips afterall. And, Odom has indeed voiced his frustration this past year. And, the clips are rebuilding. Sometimes that has meant demolishing. LOL

Cheers. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited May 14, 2000).]

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Pops, lurking around alone on the BBS, early this AM? [​IMG]

Sherlock: It may not seem a big deal, but I would be weary of more than 2 stars on the team. The Dream/Barkley/Drexler[Pippen] era proved that too many ego's can get in the way, and even more so with a younger team. Francis is our first star. We need one more, and then we can go about filling in the holes and building chemistry. Let's remember, Mobley may not be a star, but he still needs star shots (15) to be effective. Shandon Anderson is another player capable of 20+ if he feels his team needs it. A lineup of Anderson,Mobley,Swift,Odom,Francis may seem enticing, but for the above reasons it would never work. However, I would take my chances with Star1-Francis, Star2-Odom, Half-Star-Mobley, CapableRolePlayers-Anderson,Thomas.

Popeye: I don't really understand the notion that the Clippers are stupid. Their problem is that they do not make an attempt to resign their players. Other than that fatal problem (and the idiotic McDyess draft day trade), they have made some good moves. Lamond Murray for Derek Anderson was nice. They even managed to fetch 2 first rounders for Lorenzon Wright, a player they knew they couldn't resign.

Cato+#9+Drew=>Odom ?

------------------
    "I don't care how tall the guy is, trade his ass!"

15. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Hmmm.....

Drew+Cato+#9=Olowakandi+#1?

I think we can say Cato is an improvement over Olowakandi (let's take into consideration Shaq dropped 61 on him.) Those picks would likely turn into for #1, either KMart, or Swift, and the #9 would be either Moiso, Johnson, Alexander or Miller.

cabbage-the way things are looking, since Taylor and DA are gone, they have capable starters at: Center (sort of; Olowakandi) and SF (Odom). Now, they could turn that into a capable PG (Drew), capable SF (WW), capable PF (KT), and a capable center (Cato), and with the draft deep in SGs, quite possibly COURTNEY ALEXANDER at the #9 pick, the just created a starting lineup with all guys young, except for Walt who isn't quite old yet.

Looking at it in that light is interesting....hmm. I think if they took out their pick, and we took out ours it MIGHT have a chance of going down.

------------------

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited May 14, 2000).]

16. popeye

popeye Member

Hey cab!

Well the stupid tag may be of the " too harsh a description" variety but it is not yet ready to be placed in the "erroneous urban legend" stack either.

They perrenially fail to make any inroads that are obvious.

I mean to say, look all their efforts at improving, all the first round picks they "earn", all the opportunities to resign credible players .... and yet, they are still nowhere.

Dallas is another team that is not quite as bad, but they seemingly have squandered opportunities also. But even they have made more headway than the Clips and they haven't had as many picks.(Dallas just makes so many ill-advised picks... like the Wei Wa Whatever, the Chinese athlete that everyone knew was not going to be allowed to play in America.)

In my opinion Clip's biggest problem is the owner. He is the Hollywood type who "plays" at being a sports mogul in LaLaLand.

In my opinion Dallas' biggest problem is the coach and general manager. The best thing, however, is that the new owner will likely oust both of those guys and Dallas will begin to live up to it's potential.

NIKEstrad

Don't lose sight of the coachability of both players when comparing them. Cato, in my opinion anyway, is not coachable. He is instinctive, and emotional. As an example: he has thwarted (thwarted????dang!) the offer and opportunity to be assisted/helped/coached by Hakeem this whole season. Kandi man is begging to be coached and Hakeem would be the most ideal teacher in that role. It would also add some zip to Hakeem's final season.

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited May 14, 2000).]

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Lets forget all the other stuff: Why in the world would the Clippers trade Odom?

He's the only building block they have, he's a superstar in the making and has two/three years left on a cheap rookie deal.

Anyone?

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

18. popeye

popeye Member

Clutch

Reasons:

1. You must trade something to get something, and Odom is the best something they have.

2. Odom likely would enjoy being on a team that attempts to win, once in a while. They had talent this year. This roster was not as unskilled as the stats project.

3. Because they can. There is a certain irony and yes, even savoir faire, to trading away yet another building block to the future. Ask any artsy-fartsy LA sports mogul. LOL

19. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

But, maybe that's what the Clippers wants. Cato's emotion gives them IDENTITY. And, no more times Shaq drops 61 on them, as Cato did prove effective against Shaq.

Also, remember, we happen to have Odom's best friend in Mobley, and he and Francis seem to get along too. Odom could very easily say to them, I want to play with Cuttino. Either bring Cuttino to me (Cuttino would never sign with the Clippers), or send me to Cuttino.

Kandi and Hakeem would be great. I believe Kandi is also Nigerian, right?

Their lineup next year, assuming the #1 pick, will look like this:
    Olowakandi
    Martin
    Odom
    SCRUB #1
    SCRUB #2

If they made a trade with us, that could become:
    Cato (+)
    Thomas (-)
    Williams (-)
    Courtney Alexander (+)
    Drew (+)

That's 3 improvements to 2 degrades. Courtney Alexander is a bona fide scorer. KT can rebound. Drew is a great passer, and hits the open shots. Easy comparison to this? Philadelphia. The role of Iverson is Courtney Alexander, Eric Snow is Bryce Drew, Theo Ratliff is Kelvin Cato, etc. etc.

Cato is locked up long term, so they won't lose him. Bryce, KT, and Walt are not very vocal, and wouldn't have any problems with the Clippers.

The Rockets go from:
    Cato
    Thomas
    Williams
    S. Anderson
    Francis

to

Olowakandi (-)
    Martin (+)
    Odom (+)
    S. Anderson (no change)
    Francis (no change)

------------------

20. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Nike--

Players usually don't end up where they want when they're under contract, because their share of the decision making is VERY little under those circumstances. I find it highly unlikely that Odom wants to play with Cuttino so badly he could force a trade and have even the Clippers take Walt, Cato, and Thomas. They still aren't getting equal value. I'm thinking if he was disgruntled, they'd look for a better trade to get what they WANT, and then force THAT Team to handle the problem. =)

btw, the remark on Bryce not being very vocal was amusing...but don't forget he's a virtual clone of an N'Sync/backstreet boy.

elie17

------------------