1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

if facing off in playoffs could Detroit(8) potentially be worst possible matchup for Miami(1)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketboi, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

With such a clogging defense and matchups in position. I think detroit could take them to 7.
    But im pretty sure bynum or stuckey are going to be gone

Brandon jennings/ Chauncey billups
    Bynum/stuckey/pope
    Maggete/singler
    Smoove/villanueva
    Monroe/drummond.

Such a big squad. Athletic. Especially down low. They could ne overwhelming
    For lebron, bosh, birdman haslem and "oden"

Thoughts?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think a Detroit matchup will affect Miami's draft position.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Wrong forum. This should be moved to Dish.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

maybe in a few years when they get the right pieces around their bigs, and Drummond develops a little more. Right now, they have sort of a mish-mashed up roster that has alot of hole and question marks.

-Can Smith/Monroe/ Drummond play together at the same time. You really would like your 3 best players to be able to contribute and have that chemistry together that you need?

-Can Jennings make everyone else better, and not just be a black hole on offense?

-Can Smith thrive as a SF to give them the edge in size?

-Are Maggette & Billups still effective NBA players and can they stay healthy?

If they are able to put everything together to work properly I think this team can be pretty good. The edge they have long term is being able to play Monroe, Drummond, and Smith together. If it works out.... watch out. This team could be scary as hell.

5. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Last season Miami's lack of size inside, and rebounding was their weak link. Showed against the Indiana Pacers. Main reason they signed Greg Oden, Miami don't need him until late season to playoffs. But yes if Oden Can't play during the playoffs against teams like Detriot or Indiana, miami is going to be in trouble again. (not saying Detriot or Indiana can beat them)

6. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

long answer, F no.

7. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

If Detroit can play like a team and not a team full of good to great individual performers then it's possible.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Short answer.

I think you meant to post Indy. They already had Hibbert and West down low to fight against Bosh and Haslem. NOW you add Luis Scola to the mix and bam, that's a terrible matchup for guys lacking in the bigs department. They also have guys that match up well on the perimeter against the perimeter guys.

I also could see teams like Cleveland and Chicago being bad matchups for the Heat. Big IF for the Cavs if they stay healthy enough and make the playoffs.

9. VBG

VBG Member

I would like to see a Cleveland - Miami matchup. Would be intriguing.

10. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

If Bynum were to be fully healthy than yeah but otherwise..eww

11. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

This is really a good question. I think it would stifle them to an extent but I don't know if their combined experience would be enough to take them out. It would cause problems though.

12. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

This is so eloquently stated I don't think there is anything else to add.

13. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

Actually scared of how good this team will be in the next 2-3 years. They will have 16 mill in cap space next year so they can use that to sign a big free agent or some smaller ones. Drummond has mad potential. I can see him as a 20ppg 15rpg 3bpg player in 2-3 years. This Pope guy is also another young talent.

They have to make a decision regarding Monroe though. Do they let him walk, or trade him for a top 10 first round pick and draft a small forward continuing their rebuilding process. Or do they keep him and hope that the 3 big lineup works out. Or do they trade him for someone like a Batum from Portland and have a nice balanced lineup of Jennings, Pope, Batum, Smith and Drummond (Portland does need a center). But these are good questions for Detroit to have.

Pistons are almost rebuilt.

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

If this team develops good enough to challenge Miami to 7 games, they won't be 8th seed.

Just clogging the lanes isn't near enough. The bigs have to have huge offensive games and Jennings/Smith need to be worlds more efficient. Not to mention, who exactly can stop Lebron AND Wade from getting the bigs into foul trouble.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Miami would get knocked out of the 1st round to that team.

16. VBG

VBG Member

Cleveland if healthy is a fun team. They're kinda like Minnesota in the West. Both teams would be insanely fun if they're healthy.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Don't forget Danny Granger

PG: George Hill, C.J. Watson
    SG: Danny Granger, Lance Stephenson
    SF: Paul George, Chris Copeland, Solomon Hill
    PF: David West, Luis Scola
    C: Roy Hibbert, Ian Mahinmi

That is a scary good team. They've always felt like they could take on Miami, and now they have gotten tremendously better while Miami lost Milke Miller and added Oden and Beasley.

A healthy DRose, an experienced Butler and Deng playing for his last contract:
    PG: Derrick Rose, Kirk Hinrich, Marquis Teague
    SG: Jimmy Butler, Mike Dunleavy
    SF: Luol Deng, Tony Snell
    PF: Carlos Boozer, Taj Gibson
    C: Joakim Noah, Nazr Mohammed

The Nets geared up for one tremendous run:
    PG: Deron Williams, Shaun Livingston
    SG: Joe Johnson, Jason Terry
    SF: Paul Pierce, Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: Kevin Garnett, Reggie Evans, Mirza Teletovic,
    C: Brook Lopez, Andray Blatche, Mason Plumlee

If Bynum resembles his former self and Irving steps up...
    PG: Kyrie Irving, Jarrett Jack
    SG: Dion Waiters, C.J. Miles
    SF: Alonzo Gee, Earl Clark
    PF: Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett
    C: Andrew Bynum, Anderson Varejao, Tyler Zeller

If Giannis gives them something, even the Bucks won't be swept in the 1st rd
    PG: Brandon Knight, Luke Ridnour, Nate Wolters
    SG: O.J. Mayo, Gary Neal
    SF: Caron Butler, Carlos Delfino, Giannis Antetokounmpo
    PF: Ersan Ilyasova, John Henson
    C: Larry Sanders, Zaza Pachulia, Ekpe Udoh

Pistons have potential, but will get readily exposed in the playoffs.
    ATL could turn some heads, but have a terrible bench.

Knicks, Wiz, Raptors and Bobcats shouldn't surprise anyone.

This will easily be the toughest trip to the finals for Miami

18. StandontheLake

Well, maybe the worst possible first round matchup.

I'm a big believer in Drummond. Insane rebound rate, borderline elite rim protection as a rookie, legit 7 footer, ridiculous athleticism, and but he's not just a pogo stick, fantastic hands around the rim, some pretty layups, and ballhandling ability you just don't expect from a guy that size. I liked him till I saw him guard Dwayne Wade on the perimeter, pick Wade's pocket, dunk it in transition, and on the very next defensive possession, steal the ball from Wade again, at which point I started loving him.

That said, Dwight's free throw shooting is to Drummond's as Nash's is to Dwight's. He did improve a lot on free throws from college to his rookie year, but I don't know if it's a good thing that 35% was a large improvement. Still, I believe in Andre.

I don't know if Greg Monroe will start playing defense. I don't know if they'll have any offensive spacing. I don't know if Jennings and Smith will continue to be inefficient chuckers. But if a few of those things break the Piston's way, I can see them challenging the heat. Their strengths are aimed right at the Heat's weaknesses. And some of the heat players are declining. If Oden is playing well that could change things though.