1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IED Found Under Texas Bridge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Kevooooo, May 4, 2016.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

So I just came across this article this morning. This isn't a border town, this is Rosebud, Texas in Falls County -- just outside of Temple, north of Austin.

http://www.kcentv.com/story/31884264/ied-found-under-rosbud-bridge?sdfgd

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/05/04/ied-found-under-texas-bridge/83911284/

Not a lot of info out, though. Who knows if this is cartels, Islamic terrorists, some domestic terrorist group, or just a punch of moronic pranksters. What's most alarming is this is in such a random area, like they're practicing.

Please move to Hangout if necessary. Probably nothing to debate, except maybe if this is going to become a regular thing and/or who is responsible.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This is scary stuff...

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm sure glad I grew up in the 70 and 80's because I made a lot worse than this.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

And put them under bridges?

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Blew them up under bridges.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If I had to bet I'd guess it's some crazy loner.

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Location puts it in the middle of the crazy vortex in Centex, Btw Killeen and Waco so it fits..

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yes, but you didn't attach them to bridges...key difference.

Blowing stuff up, especially for country kids, is normal. But attaching them to infrastructure elevates it to another level.

Haymitch is probably right, it's likely a loner who wanted to create a scare...but who knows? I don't like to assume the worse, but I recognize our border is insecure and we know there are multiple groups who would relish the opportunity to attack within the US homeland. While it could just be some kid, it could also be a dry run, testing responses in low key areas first...or perhaps their plan is to start in these unsuspecting areas first.

I recently was at some chamber event and the guest speaker was the police chief. I can't remember which chamber it was, but it wasn't Austin (it wasn't Art Acevedo). He said it's not really inner-city Houston, Dallas, SA, etc he is worried about, it's the suburbs they'll come for, the areas that least expect it. Again, this isn't the suburbs, it's straight-country...nonetheless, I think it's relevant.

I found numerous articles about this incident, but nothing on CNN or elevated to any other national publications. Surprising. IEDs, even by stupid kids or as hoaxes, can't be that common -- certainly not enough to dismiss immediately.