1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[IDIOT] Fried Chicken

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockbox, Aug 22, 2019.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Came here to mention both of these places. I'll see my way out.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

And here’s the fried chicken, fries, jambalaya and red beans and rice from my visit a few months back.

rockbox and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ok I’m trying it out now

4. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Also BK’s spicy fried chicken Sammich is fire

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Do you listen to the Basement Yard podcast? If you don't, you should. That sentence alone tells me you'd love it.

6. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I’m a caveman when it comes to podcasts etc. I’ll check it out

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It's just like sitting around with your friends talking **** about everything. They start off on a conversation and after an hour they end up roaming to like 14 subjects, all true life lol stuff. The ChampionCHIP brackets had me audibly loling yesterday at work. They're fire.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The best fried chicken I've ever had is all in Tennessee, probably. I'm a sucker for authentic Nashville hot chicken (as opposed to that crap at KFC). I like hot and spicy chicken. With that said, I'd take Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken (had it in Memphis), Prince's in Nashville (where it all started), Pepperfire in Nashville, and Helen's (I had it at their Lewisville, Tx. location) ...

I don't really even eat fried chicken much anymore (maybe 2 or 3 times a year), but when I head out to Nashville every once in a while, I crave the Nashville hot chicken. Although, I must admit, I'll probably give Popeye's chicken sandwich a try once soon.

9. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Y’all should try DAK & Bop. It’s a KFC spot near museum district. It’s fckn delicious !

10. Buck Turgidson

So basically it's like me sitting abound with my buddies...but I get to choose which buddies?

What's the upside here?

11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Best chicken I ever had was at AQ Chicken House, located in the hometown of Tyson Chicken in Springdale Ar, never frozen and always fresh, they do a pan fried then over the coals version that is awesome, sides are out of this world

https://www.aqchickenhouse.net/

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I tried it when they were new. I wasn't impressed. I've had better Korean fried chicken wings.

But hands down the best Korean fried chicken is Toreore in H-Mart. I prefer the bone in style fried chicken than wings. Their hot and spicy is delicious. It was a dark time when it closed for those few years, but I'm happy it's back. I haven't been since it's revival but it'll happen.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Which H-mart. I will try the next time I'm in h-town.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The original off Blalock and I-10.

rockbox likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I miss Long Point Korea Town.

Anything like it in Austin? I know there's a bajillion Asian markets and whatnot.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Relish: Great Fried Chicken & Collard Greens.

17. Buck Turgidson

My god, thinking about places I miss, by far the best collards I've ever had was a the old West Gray Cafe. Smoked ham hocks, greens, onion, spicy stuff, swimming in butter and a little cream....with crawfish tails. I've come close but I've never recreated it.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I have traveled entirely too much.... all across the USA and a lot of the world.

The best fried chicken is in Joliet Illinois..... at a restaurant called White Fence Farm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a sky view of the chicken compound that has been around for over 70 years. It regularly has waits as long as 3-4 hours, even with it's enormous dinning room.
    [​IMG]

The chicken isn't cheap (in fact it is expensive) , but the quality is exceptional. I prefer spicy chicken, and their chicken isn't terribly spicy but it is still the best I have every had.

They offer maybe 10 things on their menu and they still have been consistently busy for over 70 years.

https://whitefencefarm-il.com/

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I guess I have to make drive out there the next time I'm in Chicago.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Food in Chicago isn't as good as Houston or New Orleans or even some surprise places like Madison Wisconsin.

However there are lots of places worth visiting. There are lots of "new" and cutting edge restaurants in Chicago, but honestly most of the best ones are the older ones. There are a lot of them in Chicago outside of downtown.

Here is an example:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.sawasoldwarsaw.com/index.php/our-history

There are places like Sawa's that don't exist in Houston or a lot of the USA simply because Houston is too new and in the heart of Chicago things change slowly. Sawa's is the same type of restaurant that your great grandparents would have gone to and it hasn't changed. The menu is the same from the 1940's and the staff is all made of Polish people that have worked there for decades.

All of the food is handmade and the place is full of character.

It also still a favorite place for mobsters when they want something other than Italian food......... it is also a really good place to pick up women from Poland if you are into that sort of thing..... but don't expect them to speak a word of english.