1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Ideas for Re-Working the NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by BimaThug, Apr 17, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

As we approach the 2010 NBA Draft Lottery next month, with the Rockets in the unenviable position of having the worst chance at a top 3 pick (0.5%), I thought I'd raise the issue of how to "fix" the Draft Lottery to avoid teams "tanking" in order to improve their draft odds.

I want to preface this thread with the fact that I believe that there should be a BALANCE between (A) rewarding teams (like the Rockets and Grizzlies this year) who continue to compete towards the end of the year despite being out of the playoff chase and (B) giving the truly pathetic franchises a way to revive their hopes via the draft. That is why I don't think that Jeff Van Gundy's idea to have all 14 teams with an EQUAL shot in the lottery would be very fair to teams that try but are simply over-matched. Another idea that I've seen proposed is to invert the draft order and have the best non-playoff team have the #1 pick. That idea is just ridiculous, since it would actually INCREASE teams tanking, except that teams would be tanking to get OUT of the playoffs. That idea would make a mockery of the NBA playoff chase.

Therefore, I propose the following two (2) ideas to overhaul the current draft lottery system:

Idea #1: Re-jigger the draft lottery odds to a (much simpler) system in which the team with the worst record gets 14 ping pong balls, the second worst team gets 13, and so on until you get to the best non-playoff team, which gets one ping pong ball. This creates a system where the worst team only has 14 chances in 105, or a 13.3% chance, at the #1 pick (down from a 25% chance); while the best non-playoff team has a 0.95% chance (up from 0.5%) to win the lottery.

This system will also be easier to administer, since the NBA just needs to purchase a slightly bigger bingo machine that can fit 105 ping pong balls, instead of having the 10,000 number combinations that it has to go through to determine the lottery winners.

The odds are skewed more, such that the more competitive teams are rewarded with a better shot in the lottery, while the tanking teams have a little less incentive to tank because their draft odds would not improve appreciably. Sure, it will not completely eliminate tanking; but it will at least make the draft lottery odds a little more favorable for the teams that continue to compete towards the end of the year.

Idea #2: Increase the number of actual "lottery" picks from 3 to, let's say, 8. The draft lottery odds can either stay as currently configured or can be at the re-jiggered figures proposed in my Idea #1 above. After the top 8 picks are selected, then the remaining slots (9-14) are filled in IN INVERSE ORDER, meaning that the best non-playoff team (if it did not win a top 8 pick) would get the #9 pick, and the worst team that did not get a top 8 pick would be stuck with the #14 pick. I think this idea is sufficiently different from a pure inverse draft order, since the worst teams would have a VERY good chance at a "lottery" pick (it would be highly unlikely that the worst 1-2 teams fail to get a top 8 pick). At the same time, it is not very likely that the guarantee of the #9 or #10 pick would be enough to cause teams on the playoff bubble to tank. The number of lottery picks, IMHO, would have to be at least about 8 in order to avoid a serious threat of playoff contenders tanking.

So, . . . let me know what you think of these ideas, or if you prefer the current system as is. If you think you have a better idea, feel free to offer it up here. Please, keep the ideas realistic and ones that you think the league would actually consider.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Your first idea seems to be the best one, as it just slightly alters the odds to not promote tanking.

Your second idea.. I can't get behind. Yes, it is highly unlikely a top 3 team would not get a top 8 pick.. but what if they didn't? Under your idea, the worst team in the NBA could conceivably be forced to pick at 14.. I just don't think that's fair, no matter how slim the odds are that, that will happen (there's always a chance).

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A few ideas:

1. Equal Opportunity for all: Have all 30 teams with equal shot at lotto for top, say, 5 picks. Then go by record in inverse order.

I remember that expansion teams typically are not eligible for picks above #6 in their first couple years. I think the same should apply to crap teams, too.

A #6-ish pick is still valuable, and "helps" a team in a down market, but would be less of a incentive to tank a whole season for.

2. Delayed Gratification: Under whatever lotto system you want to run, have the lotto drawing decide not the pick you get in the upcoming draft, but the next one maybe even the one after.

So, for example, lets say we keep the Kings end up winning the lotto this year and get the #1 pick, it will be the #1 pick of the 2011 draft (maybe even the 2012 draft).

This way, struggling teams do get help, and their fans do get some hope. However, (1) there's less incentive to tank as the payoff comes later and you'll have to tell your fans to wait 2 or 3 years for your tanking to bear fruit, and (2) hopefully, putting a distance between when a team stinks and when the talented prospect arrive on the team will give the team some time to get a bit better before the arrival of the guy.... so that good talent doesn't get wasted by horrible managment/coaching. (I know, some teams are just bad year after year, but at least there is some hope they'll get better).

3. Mandatory pick switching:
    You have two lotteries.

First, At the end of each season, divide teams into, say, 5 groups by record. Top 6, 7-12, 12th-18th, etc. Then make a lotto drawing to within each group to determine whose pick you have for NEXT YEAR's draft (note: Not the draft coming up, but the one for the year after).

For example, both Clippers and Pistons are among the bottom 6 teams this year. Lets say the result of the drawing has the Clippers with the Piston's pick for 2011 (and the Pistons may have, say, the Nets pick for 2011). It's a mandatory trade of pick rights.

Then, at the end of 2011, where the Clips pick is determined by the Piston's record. If Pistons are the best team in the league in 2010-11, Clips are out of luck and get the 30th pick. If Pistons finish out of the playoffs, then you have the Piston's pick position (traded to the Clips) determined by lottery. The Clips will win a top pick only if the Pistons win the lotto.

This system sitll roughly gives bad teams a "leg up" since I'd rather the Rockets end up with, say, the Clips pick or the pick from a team that's currently bad, than, a team with a better record. A bad team may turn it around, but teams mostly don't change too rapidly (and if your "secret Santa" does have a great year... tough.).

More important, this still gives the fans of a bad teams some hope of getting a good pick next year and your team eventually turning it around.

One benefit is there is less incentive to tank because a bad record doesn't guarantee you anything, and whatever it brings you comes on a delayed basis.

The other benefit is that now Clips fans can spend the 2010-2011 rooting against the Pistons rather than the Clips.

I'll enjoy rooting for Knicks next year, and I think all NBA fans should have the same right.

4. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

The point is to bring down the gap of the mathematical expectation of draft positions between non-playoff teams so that teams that are out of the playoff picture won't feel the urge to tank because their chances of moving up in draft position doesn't get significantly better everytime they lose a game. The mathematical expectation of the draft position for the Nets this year is 1*0.25+2*0.75*0.25+3*0.75*0.75*0.25+4*(1-0.25-0.75*0.25-0.75*0.75*0.25)=2.7

Still too high imo.

5. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Personally I like your 2nd idea, but I say increase the actual lottery pick to 14. It doesn't matter that the worst team could eventually end up with the #14 pick, because mathematically speaking that chance is slim to none.

6. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I haven't calculated the number, but I'm sure the final draft positions would look more random if every position is actually determined by lottery.

7. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Carl your 3rd idea doesn't sound feasible to me. Let's say the Lakers and the Clippers both end up at the bottom 6 this year. Lakers sucks due of injuries to its players while Clippers sucks because it really is a crappy franchise. And the drawing result comes as the two teams swapping their picks in the next draft. The lakers get significantly better next season when Kobe/Gasol/Odom are all healthy while Clippers continues to suck.

That is not fair for the Clippers. :( :grin:

8. Carl Herrera

Why is this not fair? Who says you are entitled to good prospects whose careers that your franchise usually end up destroying just because you suck?

NBA gives bad team lotto pick not because it is "fair" but because it's in the league's interest to give these teams some hope to dupe their fans with.

9. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

You're viewing this way too subjectively. Does wiping out all those sucky franchise with bad management sound good to you? There are always good and bad in the business, why do the bad deserve to stay in this league? The Clippers exists because it brings profit. Get over it. If you don't like that team don't be a fan of it and you can boycott it with those who share the same thoughts.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Dude, you know that idea's not fair! I also don't know how you'd transition into your second idea. Who would get which pick in the year that the lottery system changes? Your first idea is the most intriguing, although I think you would have to weight the odds in favor of the non-playoff teams.

LongTimeFan, you may be right about my second idea, which is why I thought the number of lottery picks would need to be at least 8. Perhaps Melechesh's variation, with ALL 14 picks being determined by lottery, is a better solution, since the crappy teams still have the better odds, but the better non-playoff teams would still be rewarded with more chances to have a higher pick.

11. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Yeah that's what I thought. His 1st idea is doable though.

12. Carl Herrera

Of course it is fair. All that losings gets you is a better chance at increasing talent than otherwise you would have. Bad things can still happen even if you do get a pick. Just ask Milwaukee how much Yi Jianlian and Joe Alexander are helping them right now.

I think you'll be fine as long as there is some increase in expected value of picks for struggling teams. Yeah, the whole Clips ends up with the 30th pick thing can happen, but won't happen often enough. Most of the time, they'll still get a pick in their own neighborhood.

Good question. Lets say we start next year... then you run two lottos this year based on the 2010-2011 record, once for the 2011 draft and one for the 2012 draft. Then next year, you run a lotto based on the 2011-2012 reecord for the 2013 draft and so on.

As for the other point (i.e. my idea #1) I think we can always tweak the weight however we like, as long it's doesn't too severly punish teams for winning or for making the playoffs. Maybe some weighing system that doesn't depend on playoffs but give lessor chance only for top playoff teams.

Maybe something like:

Top 6 teams in the league: 2 balls each.
    Everyone else: 4 balls each.

13. Carl Herrera

No one is wiping them out. The Clips are doing good business despite never have enough talent. So how would losing a pick or two in a few years when something weird happens (i.e. Lakers get into lottery then immediately become great a gain and Clips happened to draw their pick), change that?

I am guessing that the "Clips/Lakers" scenario might happen, say, 10 or 15 % of the time. The Clips will still generally get a pick where their record say they would, 85-90% of the teime. The issue is you make the odds more indirect so tanking for a pick becomes a more opaque process.

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

They used to do this exact system, but then Orlando won the lottery for the 2nd year in a row despite having only 1 ping pong ball. Then they changed to the "4 digit combinations" method that supposedly smooths out the probabilities and prevents anomalies.

15. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

So franchises with bad management should be punished? How about the Rockets in the Francis era? Had they been deprived of the 1st pick in 2002 (it could happen in your system), how much more time would they have needed to turn the franchise around? How do you tell the difference between greedy owners (Clipper) and owners that make poor decision (Knicks)? Do you need a jury for that?

1 person likes this.
  16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I thought (wasn't sure about the exact probabilities back then, though). But perhaps all this tanking in recent years means that it's time to return to that system.

The crappiest teams still get a top 5 pick. But maybe a 13.3% chance at the #1 pick, instead of a 25% chance, would lessen the allure of tanking. It would be nice, though, to also reward teams like the Rockets and Grizzlies who actually go out and compete every night.

Another idea that JVG suggested on air was to do some sort of Lottery Playoffs, in which the non-playoff teams play each other, with the victor getting the higher pick. Frankly, that idea would be pretty cool and (most importantly) would generate more revenues for the league. If you're a Pacers fan or a Wizards fan, you can't tell me you wouldn't want to go see that game. Still, good luck getting the players union to agree to that.

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

This.

Carl, we agree on so many things. But I have to say that we are on opposite ends of the spectrum on this issue.

You cannot arbitrarily decide who gets a pick and who doesn't. There needs to be some rationale, logical way to determine this. Either weight the odds in favor of the worse teams or create some sort of incentive for teams to win in order to get a better pick. Complete randomness is not the way to go.

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Question on topic:

Which teams tanked this year? And what did they do to make you think they were tanking? Is tanking as serious of a problem as we try to make it out to be?

19. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Nope. Just some ranting on Bima's part because the Rockets we love would almost certainly have a #14 pick, which is bad in a time when we need talent desperately. :grin: :p That's not fair for our Rockets fan!!! :mad: :cool:

20. Carl Herrera

I don't think my proposal is arbitrary. Arbitrary would be to run a lottery for all picks with equal odds. My proposal still favors teams that are bad, but just introduces an element of chance that they won't get it, thus removing the ability to count on what you can get or to tank for a specific player. A bad team still generally has a better shot at getting #1, but it won't happen until a year later, and it may not happen at all.

Well, all the help that the lotto give them sure helped the Clippers turn things around, eh?

Besides, I am not proposing to "punish them," any more than Bimathug is. They are simply being favored a bit less than before.

About the Rockets: When they were bad, sure, a system as proposed by me or Bima would have reduced their chances at getting a Yao, but if they are smart, and act like Morey did this year, they can still get a team up to "somewhat decent" and then under a more "flat" system, they would have a better chance at taking the next step than before.

I don't get your Clips vs Knicks question. Why do we need to tell the difference?

Anyhow, all I want is a system which (1) provide roughly equal opporutnities for everyone and teams can rise and fall by the quality of their decisions, (2) does not result in a bunch of games in April and March in which teams have incentive to lose. It's not good for the league, and not good for any of the teams, to have a good chunk of your season being perceived as not genuine competition.