1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ideal Sizes and the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jul 13, 2000.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

MAN folx seem SOLD on Ideal sizes
    and do not want anything less

With Coshere mention everyone jumps on the
    HE IS NOT 6'10 LIKE ALL PFs Should be!!!!!
    That to me is just CRAZY
    So the Ideal Rockets would be

C - 7'0 and above , Athletic with a Shot/Postup Game
    PF - 6'10, Athletic with a Shot/Postup Game
    SF - 6'8 Athletic with a shot and a move to the basket/Slasher and some Post up
    SG - 6'6 Athletic, Outside-Midrange jumper, Drive to the Basket
    PG - Assistman, Athletic, outside-midrange jumper, excellent 1st step . .er fuggit STEVE FRANCIS!!

Oops. . I think we want a PG that is 6'7

I think we need to look at
    Attitude, FIT!, Talent and HEART!
    More than Ideal Height, size, Color or 'potential'

Rocket River

------------------

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

River, I know what you're saying. With every Rocket, you have someone say 'how is someone who is only 6'8" going to cover Garnett?' Garnett is a freak of nature. No other SF is even close to that tall. In general, I think the 'ideal size' is a couple of inches over the actual average size in the NBA. You get the impression that the Rockets are actually a very short team, but I'm betting their about average. In the western conference (according to official heights), the average height of every team, including the Rockets was 6'7", except for the Blazers, Warriors and Clippers, who were 6'8".

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

[This message has been edited by JuanValdez (edited July 13, 2000).]

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

"I think we need to look at
    Attitude, FIT!, Talent and HEART!
    ?

Yep. Height does not a basketball player make. Take for example Shawn Bradley and Muggsy Bogues.

I think people are so sold on size nowadays because of the potential it brings. Taller players are arguably naturally at an advantage over shorter players. They don't have to jump as high to rebound, they can get shots over opponents, and they can block shots easier. But as Muggsy Bogues put it, that actually puts shorter players at an advantage because they know that they have work harder to compensate, and eventually through hard work surpass taller players in talent.

But I do think that mass is a very underrated factor in the NBA. Look at Thomas Hamilton, at 7'4" he already had great height, but unlike Muresan and Bradley the man was friggin' HUGE. He could have been one of the greatest if he followed the examples of Chuck and $haq.

If he invested a few years in the weight room, look out. Tell me anyone that you think could stop 400 pounds of solid rock posting up.

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... next year, at least. :(

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Its more about weight than height Like Charles Barkley's Ass alone could guard Kevin Garnett

------------------
    Will Work for Clutch 101 Book

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Garnett wouldn't stand a chance against Chuck in his prime. He'd just look like Manute Bol trying to stop the unbelievable force of a late 80's-early 90's Barkley dunk.

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... next year, at least. :(

6. driver8

driver8 Contributing Member

I'd play Austin at SF. We already have a hardworking PF in the mid-six foot range in Kenny Thomas.

------------------