1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ideal Playoff Seeding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zoplicone, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Way too early, I know.....but I've missed you guys
    Less about what seed we get (I'll say 1st in this post but that's no easy feat) and more about what teams I would like on each side, but here is what I think the perfect situation would be:

1. Rockets
    2. Warriors
    3. Spurs
    4. Timberwolves
    5. Blazers
    6. Thunder
    7. Grizzlies
    8. Nuggets or Pelicans

Basically I'd want Warriors, Spurs, Thunder and Grizzlies all on one side. I know that is a long shot. The Grizzlies I want more on their side because of the trouble they give the Warriors. It was a toss up on who I'd want the Warriors to face in the first round, Grizz or Thunder but I'll have to wait and see another OKC vs GS before assuming that first game wasn't a fluke. Thunder would be more entertaining, and Grizz have been horrendous as of late, but there is no denying Warriors find them to be a tough match up.

If we don't get the first seed then we need the Wolves to have a better record than the Spurs, though that's unlikely. Something like:

1. Warriors
    2. Rockets
    3. Timberwolves
    4. Spurs
    5. Thunder
    6. Blazers
    7. Nuggets or Pelicans
    8. Grizzlies

Moleb and hakeem94 like this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

It's just waaaay too early to start any of this type of conversation

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Such an insightful response :)
    Seriously though, was that reply necessary. Read the first five words in my post. Its just a conversation, curious to see how other posters feel at this moment, and it can be fun to see how these ideas will change as the season progresses.
    Not mad or hating, but c'mon son, kinda unnecessary

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

its just way too early to know how teams will be jelling or what kind of injuries.

I mean it's entirely possible okc blows it up and trades pg13 and melo. unlikely but what if hey gain bad blood.

What if kawhi comes back and he doesn't have the same explosiveness or re aggravates his injury?

What kind of trades happen at the trade deadline?

It's just way too early to have a reasonable conversation. All of these teams won't be the same come playoff time.

It's not even December yet ffs

5. macan

macan Member

i would like to see thunders vs warriors first round, the winner faces spurs in second round, then the winner of second round faces us in the west final:) doesn't matter who we got in the first two rounds

6. today

today Contributing Member

I'm fine with this type of thread, it's helps me to know who to root for in the other games. The basic premise of staying away from GS, SA, OKC and MEM is exactly the way I feel right now. I'd love to have a first round sweep and a 2nd round 4-1 victory before we see GS. I don't want Harden to be running on fumes again at that time of year.

7. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I just say win as many games as possible while preserving our vets. Tailoring a playoff seed is completely out of our control.

Even then, too early. @BigMaloe is right.

SIL

8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Agree with OP though I'm not worried about Memphis with a healthy cp3.

I'm hoping OKC matches up with the warriors early and takes them out. I am really hoping we do not see them early though. I think we can beat them but man it would be a headache. They are built for the playoffs more than any other western foes Outside of GS IMO.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

However you can splice it, OKC GSW would be a fantastic series. Even if GSW survives the mental damage that Durant would sustain in such a series would carry over for the rest of the playoffs. Plus the rest of the country wants to see this happen as well. Make it so, Stern!

D-rock likes this.
  10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Way too early for this conversation, but the general consensus would be that we want OKC and GSW in the same bracket. I don’t give 2 shts about facing Memphis

11. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Is stern still alive tho

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

Need that Spurs rematch

heypartner and JHarden713 like this.
  13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The finest trick of Stern is to persuade you that he does not exist.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I'm not so much worried about Memphis. I just love the way they play the Warriors. I've literally made over $2000 this season and last simply betting on them as straight up winners against the Warriors. They're always like a 4 to 1 payout or something. Last year they beat them at least twice, maybe three times I forget.

The people complaining about this thread being way too early; I really have to question your competence. I stated its too early; it does not mean the conversation can't happen. Too early simply means things can change, we're all smart enough to know that. Its regards to what we've seen so far and what we know, and if this thread is still kicking then we will see the posts change. If you think it is absolutely appalling that someone is discussing best and worst match ups from what we've seen so far, just don't post. There are threads about MVP and Lebron free agency; are you guys policing those too?

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Interesting point about the mental aspect. Yeah I'm pretty gung-ho about Warriors going through Memphis first, though OKC would be nice too, but unfortunately in my scenario it would have to be one or the other if we want the Spurs on their side because pretty sure Spurs wouldn't flame out in the first round

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This thread is terrifying for some of us. :(

I would like to see us make the playoffs first. Really...while it's expected and anticipated, the NBA is the craziest league in sports, in terms of the unpredictable happening.

(Beware--quick rant lol)

For instance,the Rockets once had a coach--called a fraud by many---named Kevin McHale. Well, this coach was ending the 2012 season with an excellent guard named Kyle Lowry, a crafty forward named Luis Scola, an efficient Kevin Martin and a dependable Marcus Camby...Anyway, long story short, the Rockets missed the playoffs by 2 games. Why?

In April, the Rockets lost 6 games in a row to close out the season. I sh*# you not--I watched these games unfold with McHale forgetting who was on the floor to end games, forgetting that Courtney Lee can score in bunches and forgetting Sam Dalembert/Marcus Camby were rotting on the bench. /Rant

My terribly-organized point is that making the playoffs is not a given, especially when a season can be lost within the last games on the schedule.

Thank GOD we have MDA and McHale isn't welcomed near our guys (for as long as James is a Rocket). We should make the post-season without too much trouble, and while I'm expecting a WCF minimum, I'm focused on securing the post-season first.

Cod

Deuce, D-rock and riko like this.
  17. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Rather play the Spurs in the 2nd round than Minnesota.

I don't want Minnesota at all

#17 JHarden713, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Towns loves playing us. Dude is the best player in the league when he plays us lmao.

19. riko

riko Member

Hey Cod, how is you're health man?. Hope you doing well and it's great seeing you around.

#19 riko, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  20. riko

riko Member

Pelicans if they get a few outside shooters to go with that front line that can be a very bad team to deal with.