1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ICE to deport all international college students if their school is doing remote classes?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

How dare they

3. MexAmercnMoose

damn, hopefully this doesn't lead to a brain drain

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We're in the middle of a 3.5 year brain drain.

Blatz, Patience, mdrowe00 and 9 others like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Given that the US is one of the worst countries for COVID many of their home countries might not be so willing to allow them back.

Blatz, edwardc, Nook and 3 others like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stuff like this also shows how that contrary to what people frequently claim that's its only about "illegal" immigration that this administration has always wanted to go after immigration in general.

Patience, mdrowe00, Nook and 11 others like this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yep. The reasoning for this thing is basically:

MAGA hates colleges.
    MAGA hates foreigners
    Therefore, this is the perfect opportunity to screw both colleges and foreigners.

Patience, RayRay10, vlaurelio and 2 others like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Makes you wonder if those same people are truly dimwitted or are as racist and trashy as the policy giver.

RayRay10 and vlaurelio like this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

PhD students do not even take classes for the majority of their PhD program. How does this make sense?

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Administratively, this is a bad idea as Universities around the country are still fluid on exactly what's going to happen in the Fall when classes resume. Forget about the philosophy of how many international students should be in the US (as far as debates go, I don't really think this is high up on importance, but can discussed rationally as most things can be). A few here are in the world of academics and I jump in and out of it too, and there's no way I can bet on with certainty what the Fall is going to be like at the institutions I'm involved with. That would totally suck if my ability to stay in the country was so up in the air, based on something so fluid and trivial.

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Among things that COVID impact, this is important to the maga brand. As for American - “live with it”.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Can you think of a better way to attract foreign talent than this? Just think of how many of future silicon valley talents we are going to impress with this policy!

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Why are they in the country?

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I can't tell if you're trying to have a serious discussion or if you're just trolling.

Like I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of an international student (undergrad/grad/PhD). You sign housing leases, some have scholarships/grants, some pay full (and it's usually a lot more money than in-state tuition and fees), and many work for the universities they attend (grad and PhD students).

So as a someone who's somewhat in the loop with a few universities, I'm getting emails all the time and at this point nothing is settled for the Fall. There's talk of online, hybrid, videos, plexiglass and so on. A lot of teachers, understandably, are concerned about health risks to themselves and others. I'm okay with almost anything because I have hookups for N95s and I'm youngish.

Anyhow, what are you trying to imply? I think international students have a mutually beneficial relationship with the universities they attend, just as we do when we go overseas to study. Some just help with money, others are kick-ass scholars/researchers/teachers. The debate of how many should there be is a legitimate one to have, but this policy has nothing to do with that. This policy is just throwing a monkey wrench into an already messed up situation for universities trying to figure out how to operate during COVID. It's impractical policy.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I do not have a problem with priority for schooling going to students that intend to become US citizens.

However it is pretty clear that the administration only wants a very small, select group of immigrants that come from places that have Viking blood.

Patience, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If you've worked at ICE for the past four years, you've probably already taken a look in the mirror and decided, hey, I can live with far worse than deporting smart kids.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My wife would say I'm foolishly optimistic, but I don't think anything will come of this. Colleges will pull a little bureaucratic sleight-of-hand so that their classes are not technically "fully online" even if they are for all practical purposes.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

to study as full time college students at their admitted university, on an approved non-immigrant student visa.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why do 300,000+ US students study in other countries?

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Do people want to immigrate to US? Absolutely, we have great infrastructure, democratic government, a lot of opportunities in this country.

Does US policy attract immigrants?
    Does how hard it is to come and be a legal immigrant in this country mean you get some of the most driven (notice I didn't just say the best or the brightest) people? Is there a selection bias to the talent pool? I think yes to those questions.

I also believe companies and investors that want to hire, partner or invest in those types of people have to have jobs/opportunities in the US to get those talents. The most driven comes because of the opportunities and giving them opportunities gets good results.

If the talents are more available overseas (because they can't come over here), do companies go with second or third tier talent locally or create more opportunities overseas?

I think the latter happens and its not a net positive for us.

RayRay10 likes this.