1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I wish we would start signing some free agents!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Marteen

Marteen Member

Idk, overpaying free agents spells disaster. Build through the draft and hope for the best. The only free agent pickup that would have made any splash is possibly Romo.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't have a huge issue with us not signing anyone because the positions we need the players available are pretty mediocre.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I don't think it was solely just for more cap space even though the extra space gained will no doubt come in handy when it comes to extending key players and possibly adding Romo. Cap space that isn't used also rolls over to the next year which is nice. But I truly think they wanted the Osweiler debacle in the rearview mirror. They knew he wasn't going to be their QB1 now or in the future. This clears the slate and allows them to sign Romo once he is cut, have Savage as the backup, and draft a guy to sit for a year as well.

And the 2nd rounder they gave up is the 2018 one. They still have this year's 2nd round pick. What mitigates losing the 2018 2nd is that they will get a 3rd for Bouye and most likely two 6th rounders for losing Simon and Demps. Comp picks are now tradable so you can maneuver with these if you badly want someone in the 2nd in 2018. Signing Romo or others once they are cut won't count against the comp pick formula. I don't think it's worth signing people just to sign them right now and losing a pick or more in the process when they have the draft, udfa, and multiple cuts in the future months to add to the roster.

5. raining threes

Jonathan Hankins and Zack Brown would look pretty good on this defense.

6. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I have no problem giving up a 2nd to get out from under Brock's deal. They realized very early on last year that his signing was a mistake and were trying to replace him with Savage but he had that elbow issue. There were apparently numerous occasions last year where Brock and OB butted heads, with it all boiling over with Brock's b****fit against the Titans. This was a move to get rid of a guy that would more than likely continue to be a distraction for the remainder of the time here.

Wether the future consists of Romo/Cutler with Savage being the back up or drafting a guy in the 1st, him being on the roster would help no one. It isn't like he understood this offense to help groom a rookie, and you certainly feel like Savage is better than him, at least if only minimally and he comes without the drama shown by Brock last year.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Are we going to get multiple compensation draft picks for losing so many free agents?

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think the assumption is that we will get a 3rd rounder for Bouye, and at best, a 5th and a 6th for Demps and Simon.