1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I went to an Aeros Game!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Vengeance, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I went to a Houston Aeros game last night . . . Got kick-ass seats at mid-ice about 10 rows up . . . $30 tickets (which I was given).

All I can say is WOW

I like Hockey but I've never really been a huge fan just because we didn't have a Houston NHL team. It's also not a game that I can go and get a pickup game goin' . . . hehe, a pickup game of hockey :)

Anyhow, the action was good, there were a few awesome fights (the whole teams started fighting at the end of the game), and the crowd was just awesome!

There were these 4 or 5 guys sitting behind the Moose's bench who were just giving them HELL. It was like boot camp or something, they were yelling at the other team so much. Truthfully, the reason this experience rocked SO MUCH was because of the awesome crowd -- they were hardcore into it! It was kindof an intimate atmosphere with kickass fans! We need some of those Aeros fans to be at Rockets games, and we'd have the loudest place in the league. Especially cool was when the other team's guy would come out of the penalty box, and the announcer says "They return to full strength"-- the crowd all goes "AND THEY STILL SUCK!"

THAT GAME ROCKED!! I think I may go again tonight . . .

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How did Gordie Howe do? Oh wait, you mean THOSE Aeros.

I got a puck from the Aeros-Sharks WHA playoff game back in the 70's. The Coliseum used to be the place to be.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I've been to 7 or 8 Aeros games. Consistantly, the fans are much better than the ones at Rocket games. I don't know if it is the cheap price of hockey tickets or the fact that there are few suits there, but the atmosphere was good every time I went. They probably come close to outdrawing the Rockets these days, too.

4. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

It seems to me that this probably goes some distance towards showing that it's not Houstonians in general that aren't into enjoying their live sporting events with a little gusto, just the ones that go to the Rockets games.:mad:

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Since you enjoyed the Aeros, I thought I might tell you about another minor (senior elite) league team in Houston...

Hey, I help out for a Gulf Coast Hockey League team in Texarkana, and one of the GCHL franchises is in Houston. The tickets are dirt cheap ($5 & $7, I think), and the action is good and there are usually lots of fights.

They have two home games against dallas this weekend, and both teams will be looking for their first win of the season, as Texarkana has dominated them both so far. :)

their website is www.houstonblast.com

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Thanks for the heads-up, SCF . . . I'll come on by some of the games in December, when I've got a free weekend!

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Vengeance,

I really would like to know if you enjoy the games when you go.

As I'm sure you could probably predict, the level of play will not be on the same level as the Aeros, but the guys are pretty good, and the level of play is greatly improving.

The best team (by far) right now is the Texarkana Bandits, as they have the largest operating budget in the league. Texarkana has a few former CHL and WPHL players such as Jason Sanguliano and Colby Van Tassel (if anyone ever kept up with those leagues...).

As far as I know, the building that the Houston Blast play in is a smaller place, and they have really cheap ($1.50) beer to drink. Houston also has a goalie that is like 6'8. :eek:

If you do go to a game, I'd really like to know how you liked it..