1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I was under the impression the new CBA would negate superstars joining 1 team ?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OlajuwonFan81, Dec 6, 2011.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Well from all the rumors about howard and CP3 teaming up to join the likes of the Lakers or Clippers i'm pretty damn annoyed. Wasn't the new CBA and what the owners fought for all this time supposed to get rid of these types of moves ? All that talk about small market teams competing and how we needed competitive balance was a bunch of BS ? I think i was taken for a ride because all this time I was on the owners side........I agreed there needed to be a more balanced approach but it seems I was fooled. It's business as usual here....Owners got their 50% BRI, and players still get to go wherever they want with very minimal financial repercussions.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The owners didnt get the hard cap they wanted , the contracts are still guaranteed and players being able to hold teams hostage didnt change.

I think a lot of that is because the owners didnt push hard enough and rather settled for the 49-51% band BRI .....

They really need to add something like a franchise tag to the NBA.

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

Lockout or not, players can still choose where they want to play when they are a Free Agent.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

One, that's what it means to be a Free Agent. People should choose to go where they want to go.

What they should get rid of is max contracts but keep the salary cap. If that happens, Lakers will have to give Kobe a $35MM a year contract, they can still clear enough cap room to $15 MM free for Chris Paul, but now Chris Paul will really have to choose between getting $15 MM at LA or $35MM for New Orleans. It wouldn't matter that the Lakers have a $200 MM a year TV deal if they don't have the cap room to sign players. Most players can't make up $20 MM a year in endorsements, but $5MM is possible. You think Lebron would give up $30MM a year to leave Cleveland?

5. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

That would have been perfect.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

The union is against this because most of the NBA players union are role players, not superstars.

7. VBG

VBG Member

In the end there's only so much you can do. If superstars are willing to take less money then its up to him

Like how people love saying "oh athletes make so much money." But then they don't want the same athletes to have any free choice on where to play

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You thought that's what the lockout was about? No offense, but anyone who thought that is pretty gullible. It was never about that, it was always about the owners getting a bigger share of the pie. All that competitive balance was a load of bull.

And heck no I would never support a franchise tag for the NBA.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Free agency is a good thing. You got to have an out from Khan and Sterling type owners...