1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I want to buy a 2nd hand laptop. is IBM the only choice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bob718, Feb 28, 2009.

1. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

I heard that other brand laptops usually break down in 3 years. IBM, however, can last.

Os that true? How about DELL?

2. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I don't think its so much about brand as its about model. Whatever you're looking at, make sure you read plenty of reviews on it.

I would also certainly reinstall any operating system you're planning on running as soon as you get it in. Should work out fine.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

refurbished macs are out there (and i've never owned a mac)

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dell outlet is good.

what are yo looking to do with the 2nd laptop?
    just browse the web?

you can get a netbook for $200-$300

5. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

as said above, all these companies use the same parts, it doesn't really matter

what do you want to use the laptop for?
    how long do you plan on using it?
    your budget

these are the important questions

6. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

The plan is to use it till the end of this year, then re-sell it.

mainly for web browsing, but I like big screens, must be 14+

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

IBM hasn't made laptops in a while. Lenovo took their business. And if it's second-hand and you're just going to be using it like a normal person as opposed to using it in a warzone or something, just look for a good deal on whatever... stick with HP, Dell, etc. and your odds of the thing failing or working are all about the same.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

My IBM broke down in 3 years. I kept it for my senior year in high school, but it had to be plugged into a wall at all times and it broke down very often. It was great when it worked, but it always broke down a lot.

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Given how cheap laptops are becoming and how fast the technology is getting displaced, I would not worry about a Laptop needing to last more than 3 years.

10. SoundMan

SoundMan Member

pretty much 1 or 2 Taiwanese companies manufacture all the laptops now. all these american companies do is put their lil logo on it.

dell outlet is a good place to knock off a few hundred dollars for a virtually new laptop.

right now they have their business line latitudes for 20% off in the outlet. they come with a 3 year business warranty also.

11. TheBigAristotle

What's your price range?

12. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Since I am also in the hunt for new laptop (new or used, but budget is $700) I will join in this thread.

I found this website and it has a nice price Macbook for $700, but it is refrubished. Is that a good deal?

http://fixthatmac.com/index.php?c=web1.14

I am in SF and their store is about 30 minutes away so they said I can still look at it in store.

The problem is 90 warranty parts and services. Is that dangerous?

13. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Laptops of any brand have an expected life of around 3-4 years, which is why you can't buy a warranty on a laptop beyond 3 years. It becomes a losing proposition.

I had an HP laptop for 3.5 years which I then sold, and 2.5 years later it's still working fine for the guy who bought it off me.

On the other hand, the newer HP model I replaced it with died in 2 years (faulty graphics card).

It's all pure luck, really. If you want a computer that won't break, get a desktop...

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I bought an IBM Thinkpad T42 in July, 2004 before college. Here I am almost 5 years later and it still works great. I had to send it in twice (once to replace mobo/video card and once the fan assembly) but it was under the 4-year warranty both times.

IBM's depot warranty service is fantastic. They next-day ship you a box to place the laptop in, pay for next shipping back to the depot, and had my laptop back to me in a little over a week from when I shipped it to them :D

Most IBM laptops are tanks. They just don't die. I'll probably buy a macbook if I get into med school but I'll keep this guy and repurpose it into a media server or something.

16. Chopped

Chopped Member

my lenovo thinkpad is awsome. i messed up windows boot config and it diagnosed the problem and fixed it on the next start. i was amazed.

17. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I have and do. Refurbished Macs are available direct from Apple with the same warranty and AppleCare as brand new computers.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac