1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

I think this trade deadline, the Rockets will definitely choose a direction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Miracles Boys33

think its possible we could get bosh after the season

2. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Hope new direction includes a new owner and GM?

Probably not.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If Miami doesn't win a championship this season, I'm suggesting they may be willing to move Bosh for something like Scola, Dally and TWill.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wilson Chandler is a restricted free agent. Don't know if we can get him but it's worth a try.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See that is the kind of move that can improve the team, but not having the cap room makes it impossible.

You could have forced the Nugs into Lux tax land to match.....

Wilson Chandler is way better than any of our SFs.

DD

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

But does he make us a contender??

Nope.

We need a top ten big man. At least a top ten big man to have any chance to contend for anything. Just flipping in and out SFs and SGs ain't gonna get it done.

7. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Oh, I didn't know Pat Riley agreed to get a lobotomy if the Heat don't win a title this year.

Seriously though, they could get a lot more for Bosh than that. First of all, I doubt Morey picks up TWill's contract for next season, but, even if he does, I don't think he has the type of value to be included as a positive asset in any trade for an all-star, even one like Bosh. Also, have you been watching Dalembert this season? He is no great shakes, definitely not the type of guy you would see starting center for a team trying to win a championship. It is not even the fact that he is a zero on offense, but the way he gets in the way of the penetration of his own team and the way he inexplicably throws the ball out of bounds and misses open teammates -- these things are inexcusable, and I doubt Riley would want him.

Scola rules, so not criticism there -- but I think you would have to give up a lot more than that to get Bosh out Miami.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No doubt, but if Les is going to force Morey to try to win it makes the team better than Dalembert.

DD

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody said we can build a contender right away we need a good core to get us a superstar or a star can get us over the hump.

There is actually no need for 2 superstars just one but we need a good solid core. I am at crossroads myself because I really believe Marcus Morris can be that Chandler guy.

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

We've been saying this now for how many years?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Still YEAR one after YAO.....the official timeline

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Maybe you can correct my math here.

Morey year 1: traded for Scola, drafted Brooks and Landry to help T-Mac/Yao
    Morey year 2: traded for Artest, Lowry to help Yao while T-Mac quit.
    Morey year 3: traded for Kevin Martin
    Morey year 4: Struck out.
    Morey year 5: was going to trade for Gasol and sign Nene

So I'm counting one year in which Morey failed. What, he's not allowed to fail for a single year?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

it is going to be really interesting

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

What you said was true, but i think trades are always a product of the environment as well. What teams are out there and what they want -- Teams that have a chance to 'contend now' will be looking to give up a bit more in terms of picks and expirings at the trade deadline because a player of Scola or Martin's caliber could help their team now in terms of their playoff push. Trust me if the Rockets were able to pull of deals that would hurt their flexibility for the next 2 seasons if it meant a gauranteed championship this season I would be all for it. I wouldnt mind the return that the Cats got on either Martin or Scola provided that those picks were in the 2012 or 2013 draft both of which look to be a lot better than the 2011 draft. There have been several decent mid season trades as well -- Last year was a bit of an anomaly with the lockout impending there were several teams looking to not make a lot of moves because a lot of what would take place in the CBA was unknown (at least the new cba)

I do not know or claim to know the pulse of the trade market right now with the new cba but the season just started you have a lot of teams that are doing well (portland, philly, indiana) that could come crashing down and a lot of other teams that are better than their records indicate.

While I am not saying the need to "give" these players away like it makes no sense to give up either player for a 2nd round pick and an expiring, but if we're talking multiple first or a first/2nd combo w/ an expiring then it would be interesting. One thing this team has not had in a long time is cap space and I feel Morey can be able to sign someone of impact with that cap space. I am trying to think the last time we signed anyone as a free agent with extra cap room was Mo Taylor? Yes there was Dalembert who basically is a one year rental with a very good second year that would be attractive to a team looking to shed an immediate 5.5 million from its payroll. And if anything can be gleamed from recent transactions in the NBA is that teams with cap space have been able to get those big name stars whether it would be through a FA signing (or a FA s&t) or through a trade where they can absorb a larger salary while sending back picks and prospects.

Hopefully that makes sense and answers your question

1 person likes this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They have been on the trade block for a while - at least Scola. They aren't many biters. We should just take what we can for them.

And it is better for them to play with contenders, it is clear that Scola is frustrated.

Trade Scola by the deadline. As soon as possible actually. If you can package Martin with him, all the better...but Martin isn't too terrible to keep either.

Keep Lowry. He is young enough that by the time we get draft picks and rebuild he will be the veteran leader on this team. We'll need that down the road.

The rest of the guys like Chase, Patterson, and so on will be the future role-players to support the new talent and free agent signing that come along down the road.

#75 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  16. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Again, if you read my post, I think that Gerald Wallace is probably at least as good as Scola and Martin, and the return he got was pretty light. I personally have no feelings one way or the other, but I'm 100% sure that if and when they get dealt, over 50% of the board will be up in arms.

I think you're massively overrating both Kevin Martin and Luis Scola's trade value. Keep in mind that Morey tried to do exactly what you proposed in the Gortat/Martin negotiations last year with the Magic which went nowhere. The Sixers wanted Lowry and to salary dump Dalembert in exchange for Iguodala.

Any idea of players you want to target? I usually conceptualize in draft picks because their value is more fixed. I assume you were a big fan of the Thabeet trade then; I'd argue that he had a much higher chance of panning out than a 300 pound overweight center out of Spain who miraculously lost 40 pounds (Marc), or a sharpshooter who shot 65%/32% FT/3PT in his college career (Redd).

17. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Great answer; it's something that I've been wrestling with as well, since the management side of Rockets basketball has been infinitely more interesting and hopeful to think about than the product on the court over the last week.

One thing I forgot to add that probably will make it better for the Rockets to deal in the offseason is that they're allowed to go over 15 players on the roster, and immediately waive players they receive in trades. Since the Rockets have been very good at filling their roster down to the 15th man, they'll have to cut loose some interesting prospects if they do a trade in-season and have to end up taking back 3 or 4 players to match salaries with Martin or Scola.

I think the last time the Rockets were major players in the free agent market was 2001, when they had Franchise and Cat signed to small deals, and had enough space to offer 27/12, 1st team all-NBA PF Chris Webber the max; and instead got Moochie Norris, Mo Taylor and did a S&T with Shandon Anderson for Glen Rice, because the Rockets had Eddie Griffin and Terrence Morris to play the 4 spot already.

This Free Agent Roundup by Jeff is equal parts painful/hilarious/nostalgic. Definitely wasn't the free agent class of 2010...

We basically had a taste of what the Rockets can do with cap space this summer; they'd have a Pau/Nene/Hayes/Patterson frontcourt rotation, with Parsons/Morris/Budinger at the 3, Lee/Williams at the 2 and Lowry/Flynn/Lin at PG. That's unbelievably strong, with literally no weak links except at backup PG, and considering how well Parsons and Williams have played this year, entrusting them to major rotation roles seems like the Rockets would have barely missed a beat.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I feel there's some sort of misunderstanding here. I was speaking of these players back when no one knew about them. For example, Granger was a 17th pick who averaged 7ppg in his rookie year. You think a team that has a rookie player of that caliber won't give him up for a Scola?

Yeah, no kidding no team will trade a player in his prime performing at semi-star level. That's what the front office is for. To target those players BEFORE a casual fan like you and me even know who these guys are.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I have heard of only two trade rumors that involved Scola. First was the Amare trade that didn't go down. The other was the Gasol trade that also failed. Which other trade was Scola rumored to be in but got scoffed by the other team?

20. cod

cod Member

Scola doesn't want to be traded. He always made that clear.

Sports outside the US is different. The sporting teams/clubs have strong amateur roots. Even though teams are/have gone pro, and the players do move about. There is still a sense of club loyalty. I can understand why Scola wants to stick with the Rockets as his only NBA team.