1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I see what our problem is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by N2bnfunn, Dec 11, 2018.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think there are a couple of things we are seeing from the Rockets:

- Tonights defensive intensity, like the Mavs game, was very good. We should have won the Mavs game and probably would have had CP3 hit those free throws. But its good to see two straight games with strong defensive effort.

- MDA has to do a better job of feeling the game with his rotations. At times he sticks too hard to his schedule, even when the lineup in the game has it going. Late in the fourth CP3, EG, GG, House, and Nene/House had built the lead up to 14, and THEN they all got subbed out. Why? At least let them see if they can grow the lead. I can understand if 14 becomes 10, but why sub them out when they are on a run like that?

- Harden's offense was really good all game....until the 4th. This is a trend now with both him and CP3, where they will have better ball movement (atleast the last two nights) up until the last few minutes of the game where they pretty much dribble out the clock and try to iso their way to victory. I for one am also getting sick of seeing CP3 dribble out or take a low percentage shot before the end of quarters (why not get into your move quicker or pass it?)

- I like EG in the starting lineup and think we should keep it up. He had an off night, but he'll turn it around.

- I like House and think he has definitely made Ennis expendable. I expect to see his skills grow and think he is a future starter on this team.

- One of the things I liked was adjusting from switching everytime to trapping Lillard on picks. I dont know why we dont do this more often - it was clear that he was going to beat Nene/Capela one on one, but when trapped he was forced to throw errant passes and really struggled for a stretch, even if his numbers dont show it. Without the trap we dont go on our big run and likely lose this game.

- As much as this team needs a strong wing player, it needs a legit power forward. PJ played incredible for us in the playoffs, but it was because he matches up very well with Draymond. He does not match up as well with other PFs, and I think part of what we're seeing in our rebound numbers is a case of PJ being too small to grab boards along with his known limitations on offense.

Jake Tower, cbs1507 and AB423 like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is this what OP was saying tho? “Harden is our problem” is different than saying “Harden was a detriment during the 4th quarter of tonight’s game.”

and honestly, stupid threads like this popping up was so predictable after tonight’s game...like we hadn’t been getting dusted off the court all season once Harden left the game...tonight was 1 of those games we happened to play very well when he was out of the game...those moments have been few and far between

kjayp and HP3 like this.
  3. Eleazucena

Eleazucena Member

trade Harden?

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Harden's 4th quarter play is a huge issue. He's also the team's motor and only source of offensive output due to a bad bench.

These facts aren't mutually exclusive and while we can sit here and ridicule each other and say we're glad each other aren't the GM - it's the GM's and coaches job to find solutions.

This one's a doozy. Good luck Moraye.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

It's about getting guys involved on the offensive end - so they are engaged and energized on the defensive end...
    Obviously these guys are pros and you'd expect them to be focused in whatever capacity they are needed.... but if I run up and down the court 3 or 4 times and I don't even get to touch the ball on the offensive end...
    Ball movement is the key to engagement - iso chucking wo passing is the anti-engagement...

Vivi and hakeem94 like this.
  6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

We won because we committed only 7 TOs

cbs1507 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Ball movement means nothing if your players are missing too many open shots.

8. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Without harden’s presence & 29 points tonight we lose by 21. Harden had 15 in the 3rd qtr.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it means something, the ball has an energy

Stormy1234 likes this.
  10. riko

riko Member

Being critical of someone when they almost cost us this game is not hating. Harden had a bad finish. It happens and people are calling him out. This thread being a clear troll effort aside.

There certain responsibilities that being the undisputed best player on a team entails and one is not play like crap in the last few minutes. Does anyone want to trade him? No just that he needs to be better

11. kjayp

Idk what the OPs intent was... but seems to me there are times when Harden aint got it - but we keep hammerin it. There are times he's in 'turnover mode' and they keep coming...
    Obviously MDA is too scared of getting 'McHaled' - so he aint gonna reel Harden in... and Ariza was the guy that used to hold him accountable...

Obviously i appreciate the fact that harden is a tremendous talent... I'd just like a fallback when it aint happening for him... and I'd like to have a fallback when the 3 ball aint falling...
    Adjusting to the flow of the game - and the hot hand - is what we are sorely missing...

charlieaustin likes this.
  12. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

He only played like 7 minutes in that 4th quarter.... and half that time Paul had the ball.

13. AB423

AB423 Member

We got deep in ahole because of Harden missing his shots and got back in when our bench of House, Green, and Nene started beasting

14. juanm34

juanm34 Member

So your saying we run to many ISO’s......?
    That’s on MDA.

DaDakota likes this.
  15. AndtheRockets

AndtheRockets Member

Man I can't stand Harden lovers.

16. kjayp

If you havent touched the ball for the last 4 or 5 possessions - then it gets tossed to you like a hot potato - odds are u aint gonna have as much rhythm to shoot as you'd have if you'd been handling it regularly...

charlieaustin, DaDakota and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Good news for you, you came to the right site LMAO.

hakeem94, Stormy1234 and HP3 like this.
  18. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

They seem to be okay with it last year.

And they're hardly throwing it up like a hot potato.... they're literally missing wide open shots.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

LOL, this is good.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

This actually makes more sense than anything. CP3 missing 2 free throws in the clutch and playing defense like Harden has been really weird this year. Not to mention Eric Gordon completely forgetting how to shoot.

Since Tillman has to pay his luxury tax, maybe he should instructing the team to lose on purpose.