1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I see no reason to trade McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hank McDowell, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Not because I want him or think that he could help the team, but because he is a HUGE expiring contract that would guess us some cap flexibility to keep the rest of this young roster in place for years. I'm willing to bet that Morey recognizes this as well and will not be in any rush to make a move.

Getting rid of a Scola or Landry or Budinger simply to help expedite a move for Tracy wouldn't follow Morey's business style. With the contract situation being what it is, I think we will see a buyout in February rather than a bad trade now. If there is a trade, however, the Rockets hold ALL of the cards.

Morey is so damn smart that I just can't imagine a single downside to any of this right now...

2. tmacwillbeback

get as far away from dd as possible

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Someone posted somewhere once that Houston wouldn't get the full value of McGrady's expiring contract like another club would. They said that they would only get 7 or 9 of the 23 Million if Tracy expires as a Rocket.

Can anyone accurately shed light on this and correct if necessary?

4. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

I see no reason for you to start another freakin McGrady thread.

5. number22

number22 Member

The rockets are over the cap, letting mcgrady's contract expire would only put them 7-9 million under the cap depending on how much it is next season. Although if they rescinded the rights to alot of there players, they would have plenty of cap room to sign max players just no team.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

7. thelONE

thelONE Member

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you. To give up an expiring HUGE contract and introduce some players to break up the chemistry in our team right now? Absolutely no way.

8. acefan18

acefan18 Member

I think our best bet is to trade with a team like Golden State, they can give us good developing talent, and possible future all-stars (*cough Anthony Randolph), as well as players who are descent, and would fit with this system well (Corey Maggette). I heard on ESPN that bubble playoff teams like Golden State are the teams most likely to want T-Mac, so if we could free them of A. Randolph, that would be a nice way to go IMO.

9. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Ditto Randolph would be a great addition to this team, and taking on Monta Ellis, plus Maggote would seal the deal.

10. acefan18

acefan18 Member

If we got Randolph, Ellis, and Maggette I would j*zz in my pants. I don't see why Golden State would give up Randolph AND Ellis though. If u know why they might be willing to do it, please explain. Aside from cap space I don't see their motivation for trading their two up and coming stars.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Randolph - In Nelson's doghouse BIGTIME...Team looking to trade him.

Maggette - Bad Contract but could contribute

Ellis - Unhappy with the squad but would be the hardest to attain.

TMAC - Would bring GS much needed salary cap relief if they wish to "start over"

Question is TMAC alone won't be enough so Landry, Scola, Brooks or a combination along with TMAC would have to be included for GS to bite.

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

It's better to trade with teams that are in the lower echelon...they're pretty dumb because they're desparate to change up their team rosters.

13. acefan18

acefan18 Member

If we got all that talent I would be willing to throw in Scola, and maybe even a 1st or 2nd round pick. If we were to get Ellis, we would have 3 PG's. Would we move Ellis to SG, and make him our "go to guy"?

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I agree, there is no reason to rush or even go ahead and trade McGrady.

Not to mention, if the talk of the Rockets being over the cap right now is true, then trading McGrady would just mean we are getting us more over the cap. We are probably going to have to pay off guys like Dorsey, Cook and Harris to make room or having to get more players in the deal for McGrady in order to match up the amount and then waive/buy them out.

Either way, the cheapest thing for the Rockets short of removing one of their key contributors might be to just do nothing with McGrady.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would not trade him unless there is a deal that makes the team better......

Just let him expire if nothing comes along and you have his S&T available as well as roughly $7 million in cap space.

Now, I think a deal can be had that makes us better....but I trust Morey to make the right choice.

DD

16. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Rockets Incoming:

Monta Ellis $11,000,000 SG 5 Years

C. Maggette$8,937,931 SF 4 Years

A. Randolph$1,837,560 PF 2 Years

Hollinger's Analysis: +7 Wins

Golden State Incoming:

T. McGrady$22,843,124 SG 1 Year

Luis Scola$3,284,667 PF 1 Year

1st or 2nd round pick

Hollinger's Analysis: -14 Wins

17. justafriend

justafriend Member

I see no way a trade would achieve the two goals of improving the team and maintaining the same amount of salary cap space for the upcoming off-season. So why make one?

18. RocketMania1991

Sorry but, none of the fans thoughts or opinions matter.

Morey is a great general manager and he won't make a deal just to get rid of Mcgrady. Morey will do whatever is best for the team.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Should Clutch shut the GARM down?

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You forgot .. . GOLDEN STATE is the absolute BEST place for TMAC

They don't expect him to play defense
    he can chuck up a ton of shots

TMAC will be in his version of heaven

Rocket River