1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Officially Give Up Defending Phil Jackson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by babyicedog, Jan 29, 2011.

1. babyicedog

babyicedog Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6070354

Bryant had some high praise for the former Houston Rockets center.

"In my opinion, he's the best post player ever," Bryant said. "With all due respect to [Kevin] McHale, Hakeem was phenomenal."

Lakers head coach Phil Jackson ribbed Olajuwon, who broke up the Chicago Bulls' set of three-peat championships with two titles of his own with Houston in 1994 and 1995.

"Hakeem had this move that bordered on walk or travel," Jackson said. "McHale had one, too. It's very hard to duplicate that. It was kind of a shoulder-shrug, shake-and-bake thing that he had where he'd come back in the opposite direction, but he was so quick at it. Kobe has good post-up moves. I'm sure he learned some things about posting up [from Olajuwon], but he didn't imitate Olajuwon's move."

Seriously, what is wrong with this guy?? How can someone who's accomplished so much be so petty about so many things? It's to the point where it's really sad- very unfortunate because I used to have a lot of respect for the guy. Maybe he does this because, deep down, he thinks or knows he rode the coattails of some of the greatest players of all time.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What did he say that was wrong there? I guess I missed it.

Saying that Hakeem's post moves bordered on traveling is absolutely fair.

3. The Situation

The Situation Member

He's a douche, but he's ****ing Jeanie Buss

4. babyicedog

babyicedog Member

Really, do I need to spell it out? Does the phrase "damning with faint praise" come to mind? This is just one in a long line of backhanded compliments that PJ has thrown out that are just...unnecessary. If it's not this, it's questioning the legitimacy of the Rockets and Spurs championships, insulting other players, teams, and entire cities, ribbing fellow coaches, etc. It just gets old after a while having to say, "Well, he was just kidding..." "He wasn't really insulting ___"

Let's face it, he's just a d**k, I can't think of any other way to describe him.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Look at it from his perspective. When he was coaching against it, he was probably convinced that it was a travel. Perhaps he feels he's being generous by saying, after 15 years, it merely "bordered" on traveling.

6. cuddie

cuddie Member

Then that should be an alarming indication of his smug indignation.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

jordan got away with a hell of a lot more courtesy of officiating crews than olajuwon ever did. and in any case, there are a dozen other aspects of hakeem's game to give out praise for being superb before b****ing like a b**** that his dreamshake might have been traveling sometimes.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Just looking at that quote by itself doesn't seem too offensive but couple this with past remarks like "Hakeem was good....but they wouldn't have won those 2 rings if MJ was in the league". Their seems to be bitter undertones.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

both hakeem and mchale had moves like he described

if jackson didn't have respect for hakeem, he wouldn't have run double teams EVERY time he got the ball, lol.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'd also guess there were about 27 coaches who thought he was travelling, lol

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Phil's a little b****. He's been whining in the media and using the media to head screw opponents and refs for 20 years. He does it before the season to shoot down potential contenders, he does it during the season to downplay the significance of his team's losses to good teams, and he does it before and during every playoff series to get calls from refs and rattle young players. Pay him no mind.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I'm pretty sure PJ had a Center that "bordeline traveled" every time he touched the ball.

13. mrjuandiego1988

well i think he said this was his last year and from what i see he's going out swinging by talking sh** about everyone and everything! :eek:

14. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

I can't believe he's getting away with dating his girlfriend ...

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

PJ is just being PJ. He can't help himself. Don't let it bother you.

16. underrated015

underrated015 Member

he got jeanie buss. guys a g in my book. doesnt really matter what he thinks bout dream cuzz at the end of the day, he is a hall of famer and tore up the league at his position in his day.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The only time I heard Phil Jackson give credit to his opponent was when he said, "Give some **** credit to the Rockets" the year we took them to 7 games without Yao. And he had to use foul language because he was frustrated to be FORCED by the embarrassment his team was putting him in.

18. Durrby

Durrby Contributing Member

It's nice to see that Big Chief Dick Weed is still as classless an individual there ever was in professional sport. He has always been under the illusion that he gives his teams a competitive advantage by refusing to give any respect to players and coaches on opposing teams and acting like he is superior to everyone else in the league. The reality is that he has just been blessed to coach great teams throughout his entire career and found a way for them to reach their full potential.

I wonder if he does the same thing in his personal life as well? Perhaps he talks trash about his ex-wife whenever he is around Jeannie Buss. :)

19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'm just waiting on tinman to come in this thread and defend his husband.

20. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

You used to defend Phil Jackson? Gross. Why?

Coincidence that he coached a douche like Michael "Hitler-stache" Jordan who delivered the most antagonistic, ungrateful, pride-filled, pathetically insecure Hall of Fame induction speech ever? Probably not.