1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I may lose my dog tonight :(

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SunsRocketsfan, Jul 24, 2014.

1. SunsRocketsfan

I just got back from the Emergency Vet. When we got home tonight we noticed our dog yoshi had gotten into his food and his stomach was extremely bloated. We went on a short 30 min walk hoping it would help him digest. I finally called the emergency vet and they told me to bring him in immediately. It turned out for the worst and he has GDV (inverted stomach). For those of you that have seen Marley and Me that is how marley died. Only option was surgery or let him pass/euthanize him. He's a 12 year old akita and i've had him since he was a puppy and he's been with me for more than a 3rd of my life. Tomorrow is actually his 12th birthday :( Surgery is going to cost $6000+ but cost was the least of my concerns. Even with surgery there is still a large chance he wont make it I dont want him to suffer his last moments alone on a operating table or recovering in a cold vet. I had made the decision to let him go peacefully but then when I went in to see him he used all his might despite being on sedatives and crawled into my arms and wanted to go home. I immediately changed my mind and told the Dr to go ahead and operate. I just got a call from the Doctor who says they found his spleen and kidney are also abnormal and may be cancerous. I'm just so worried i made the wrong and the selfish decision now :( Perhaps it was better for him to not let him suffer anymore.. im just so lost right now and miss yoshi so much.. the doctor is proceeding forward but i'm just so lost now.. sorry i guess i just need to vent somewhere

[​IMG]

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Prayers are with you and Yoshi.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Sorry to hear that man... But he's still fighting for now so don't give up hope!

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So sorry to hear that man.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that, My thought are with you.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend...

7. VanityHalfBlack

So precious, hang in there man. Prayers are with you.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry buddy, prayers for you and Yoshi.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Tough to hear as a dog owner. Sorry and thoughts are with y'all.

10. VanityHalfBlack

I remember when I loss my pup 2 years ago, he was only 9 yrs. The last time I saw before I even had a chance to send him to the vet, he had this glowing look in his eyes as if he's telling me I will see you on the other side of the bridge. Damn broke my heart ever since. So precious man.

11. calcium

calcium Member

Sorry to hear of this. :-(

My Gordon setter passed away in 2001.

I still think of her now and then.

12. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

I'm so sorry man. Yoshi sounds like a great dog. I'm hugging my dog right now thinking of him. Good luck.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers to you and Yoshi.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's not your fault at all and it wasn't selfish
    You did what I would've done and that's fight to the end. You will sleep better knowing you gave it all.

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Prayers said for you and Yoshi. Both of you were extremely lucky to have found each other. I'm sure you made Yoshi's life as amazing as you could. Hopefully he still makes it through for a few more years. But if not, you did the best you could.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Akita Inus are an extremely lovable, loyal species.

I am sure you had wonderful memories. Sad indeed

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I've been there and it sucks. I understand all about spending whatever to save a dog. It didn't work out for me at all. Given your dog's age, it may be better to let go. Not worth trying to treat the dog for cancer especially at that age. But, I understand you going forward with the stomach surgery. The doctors will give you a bunch of false hope to line their pockets with your money. Your dog is just at that age for a bigger breed that is the end game unfortunately from what it sounds like. Anyway, sorry to hear about your tough time. It's never easy to.let go but the worst is when the dog develops the death stare at the end. My dog lost all its personality at the end and was just there not enjoying anything. Very sad.

18. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Yoshi will fight for you and him!

Go yoshi!

19. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that man, I buried two of my dogs last year within 4 months of each other. I know it may not feel like it but it sounds like you made the right call.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused: How did they figure out the diagnosis and the prognosis? Was it an x-ray or just consultation or over the phone? Seems weird.

Tough stuff. Hang in there, dude. :eek: