1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I lost my dog today...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by c1utchmatic, Jul 6, 2013.

1. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

Can't really seem to sleep, so I'll just rant here.

I was out taking my dog Mikko out for a bathroom break at around 11:50 last night. Usually I just let him roam free for a bit, since no one's usually out at that time and he always stays within our yard. He finished his business, and then he ventured onto the sidewalk. My neighbor was out, and so were her dogs, two pitbulls. Mikko was making his way back to me when one of them went after Mikko and clamped down hard on his neck. He was only a 10 pound toy poodle, he couldn't do a thing. I ran right into them and tried my hardest to pry open the dog's jaw, but I couldn't. Next thing I knew the other dog went in and bit him right in his chest. Mikko let out a cry I don't think I'll ever forget. I pulled the dog's jaw apart with all my strength then, and Mikko managed to escape, with me getting two or three puncture wounds on my hand in the process. He managed to run back into my house. I glanced at my neighbor who was screaming at her dogs, but I didn't care. I ran inside, and saw that Mikko went into a corner in the house and was scared and terrified beyond belief. My mom managed to pick him, but the look in his eyes was still the same. My whole family was up by then, and we took him to an animal hospital in Sugar Land. The car ride there was probably the hardest thing I have ever experienced. We got there, and Mikko was barely holding on. We rushed him in, but it was too late. We was already in shock, and the bite that got him in the chest had crushed his ribs and punctured his lung. His jaw was broken from the first bite as well. That was the first time I had seen my entire family cry. I was mostly angry, but I bawled my eyes out. We said our goodbyes, and then left for the emergency room. My blood on my hands had coagulated by the time we reached the place. I ended up getting three stitches on my hand, and a shot in the ass for the antibiotics. As soon as I got home, I went to my German Shepherd, and I could just see that he knew. He slept in my room tonight, with me waking up every hour. I can't stop thinking about how I failed Mikko. I can't get the images out of my head, and I doubt I ever will. Anyway, if you own a dog, make sure you're a responsible owner. I should have put Mikko on a leash, just as my neighbor should have. I loved Mikko like a little brother. He slept in my room every night, and was always the first to wake up. I took him on car rides everywhere, and he would always sit in the passenger's side leg compartment, smiling at me. I loved him so much yall. I really did. I hate that he had to go this way. No one deserves to be shredded to pieces, especially not him. He was only three years old. He was our family's baby. I don't think we'll be the same for awhile.

Thanks for reading. Sorry for wasting your time.

9 people like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn. That is rough. Sorry for your loss.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Aww man. That's terrible. Sorry for your loss, bud.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am really sorry for your loss... prayers for your dog and your family.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss.

I'm resisting the urge to share my thoughts on that breed. I love dogs, though.

My dog is going through a scary time right now- I posted about it a while back, and should give an update....makes you realize how big a part of your family they are.

6. mario_v

mario_v Member

I am sorry for your loss. It was exactly a year to this day that I lost my dog. I know how you feel. The car ride to the emergency room is one of the worst things I ever felt.

It takes time to move on from losing your pet. I still think about my dog almost every day.

7. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Sorry to hear mate :(

Can't imagine how I would handle such a situation.

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Dam man I'm so sorry. Ive had my toy poodle for 18 YEARS.. and I just got brand new neighbors three days ago...

GUess what? They have TWO pitbulls

My fence isn't a wood fence its metal bars and my dog is known to escape through them and I'm sooooo nervous.

He has escaped 4 times, each time while I left him in the care of someone else while at work... I'm paranoid because I've had him for 18 years, since the 3rd grade he is my best friend.

WHy oh why does my neighbors have to have f***** pitbulls

1 person likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I hate pit bulls for this very reason. This is what they are mostly known for. One will never pass up the opportunity to take out a smaller dog. This scenario happens a lot.

Sorry for your loss. That must be really devastating. I could not imagine. I saw some people at an emergency animal hospital go through a similar scenario when I was putting my dog down. It really does traumatize the entire family. I thought I was sad but, when they came in the clinic, it was absolute horror and panic.

#9 Surfguy, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  10. hoannggg

hoannggg Member

What a sad story :( sorry to hear man, hope u feel better.

11. VanityHalfBlack

Bro, I'm really sorry for your lost. I didn't get to finish reading your post, just heartbreaking to see something like that happen. I own 3 dogs myself, I try very hard to be responsible and caring and keep them as obedient as possible and to not hurt other living things.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I couldn't even finish reading your story...

My deepest condolences. May Mikko find himself in a land of unlimited belly rubs and treats.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Much love in your tough times

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Damn. Sorry to hear that. It's losing them so suddenly that I couldn't bare. That must be very rough.

Sounds like he was badly injured on the first bite. And he's so small.

I'm just going to share something for everyone's general knowledge, but it has nothing to do with you being able to stop that, most likely. You did not fail Maiko.

Pit Bulls (and all dogs) will release their bite if you pinch their adam's apple has hard as possible. Get a head lock on them first, which is easy since they are occupied by their bite.

15. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Oh man that is horrible :( I was expecting it to be a story about dying from old age or something. Yes, leashes are a necessity most of the times but you can't beat yourself up over it. Sorry for your loss.

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

I did not know that. I have two small dogs of my own. Makes me more comfortable knowing that I can apply this move in case some other bigger dog attacked mine.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Really really sorry for your loss, OP. That's just an awful way to lose a dog.

I barely saved our dog from a pitbull when she was younger. I totally know that awful situation, blood and all.

That owner will hopefully keep her dogs away from all other dogs now. (Not trying to knock pitbulls, who can be wonderful dogs with proper ownership, but I've seen way too many cases of their biological switches getting flipped.)

18. platypus

platypus Member

I'm sorry for your loss man. :(

Some people just don't need to be raising animals if they can't teach them to be respectful. I know pitbulls are a dangerous breed but you neighbor was a ****ty owner.

Can you take any action against her? I would hate for those dogs to get off unscathed after killing an innocent animal.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sorry for your loss. That's incredibly rough and heart breaking. Words can't really describe your pain, but I hope time helps.

20. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

My condolences.