1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I liked what Tito and Boki did...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoRockets, Dec 2, 2002.

1. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

in the 4th quarter of the game. That was actually the highligh of the night for me. Knowing that we were gonna lose the game, I focused on how Tito and Boki would do with the time they were out there. With so many people analyzing the Rox problems, I wanted to bring up how happy I was with the way Tito and Boki went out there and straight out contributed. They passed well, they scored, and they never turned it over. They deserve more playing time. :D

2. persiandog

persiandog Member

i have one question for you guys. does anyone want to see tito play more, and moochie less. granted, moochie has more experience, but i was very impressed with tito in the preseason. he is very calm and under control. i'm just downright sick of moochie and his playmaking decisions. he'll win you some games, just as we saw against the sonics, but he'll also not help you win games, which is every other game this season.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was waiting for someone else to mention this.

I said in the game post that I liked the way Tito pushed the ball up the court..each and every time.

DaDakota

4. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Moochie barely cuts it as a backup PG to Steve. But with Cat out, he's been filling in the SG position also it seems. I was dumbfounded when I saw him matched up with guys like Brent Barry or Doug Christie. Times like those, you should let Tito play if not for anything else than his size and ability to play defense.

5. Timing

Timing Member

It was remarkable how easy they made it look when they came in. Pass, pass, layup.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's no wonder... the game was over. I'd like to see Boki and Tito get some minutes near the beginning and middle of a game and see what they can do. I've seen enough of Mooch and TMo.

7. Greg M

Greg M Member

Yep...those 63 minutes are the ultimate gauge of Morris. Cut him. :rolleyes:

I do want to see how Tito and Nachbar play but I also want to see Morris on the floor a bit more. Terrance hasn't had enough PT to get comfortable. He may or may not hep this team. If Rice's back keeps him out for a couple more games, Nachbar will probably get more minutes. Hopefully, he'll go out and play fundamentally sound. Now...who wants to join me in jumping Mooch in a dark alley and force him to the IL?? :p

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

(raising hand) Ummm....me. I'm in. :)

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

I !!!

10. haven

haven Member

Gee, Morris has failed to progress since his sophomore year in college. Yeah, giving him more minutes is going to be so helpful! :rolleyes:

I'd like to see more of Tito and Boki as well. I still think Moochie is a serviceable back-up PG deep, deep down... he just needs some serious reforming. He doesn't have that hunger anymore, and is overly self-confident.

11. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I am the biggest fan of Boki, and he needs to be playing right now! Kenny Thomas should just be cut, he contract is over at the end of the season anyway and would give more minutes for Boki. I like Moochie even though most hate him, but I think he is a pretty good player and atleast he hit the cluch shots. I would not start Boki but he needs around 15 minutes per game.

12. Greg M

Greg M Member

It's funny how everybody was singing the prainses of TMo and Griffin in the preseason. Griffin in plenty of minutes hasn't done a whole lot. TMo hasn't done a whole lot either but in much more limited PT. I'm going to give Morris more time to show his game. Afterall, I think everybody knows that the college game does not translate that well into the NBA. There are plenty of very good NBA players who put up comperable numbers to TMo in college.

13. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

I understand that Rudy has a problem right now dealing with too much talent and they all want playing time. But look at the shooting percentages and you see something interesting:

Eddie Griffin 37.8%
    MoT 38.1%
    Hawkins 38.3%
    TMo 41.2%
    Moochie 41.3%
    KT 41.3%
    Cat 41.6%
    Rice 42.3%
    Collier 42.9%
    Francis 44.2%
    Nachbar 50%
    Cato 58.7%
    Yao Ming 66.7%
    Maddox 100%

You have 7 players under 42% shooting. All have solid spots in the rotation except TMo. Why not let Boki or Maddox fill in somewhere? If the vets show they can't get the job done, then I say let the Rookies play.

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I know that everyone knows the history of Tito Maddox. The Rox like him because he has the opportunity to be a true point and a real backup to steve. Problem is, he will get destroyed by actual game pressure. Instead of trying to give all Moochie's (isn't that name perfect, he is a mooch with the ball. puff, puff give) minutes over, just start to slowly incorporate him.

As for Nachbar, I love him. But, did anyone notice how freekin slow he is! I really think this is why he hasn't played so far. He makes good decisions, supposedly has a great touch, but molasses on a cold day is going to win a race every time. Until Yao can hold down the block defensively Rudy will probably want to wait on boki

15. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Tito's flash of potential is almost equivalent to Moochie's peak of potential in my opinion.

Boki may look slow, but his Euro highlights show otherwise. Besides, speed is not what makes a good baller. Having the court vision to make good passes and smart plays and also hitting the open shots is good enough to contribute to this team. Steve and Cat have all the speed the Rox need.

16. studogg

the point I am trying to make about speed is on the defensive end. The three has some of the most talent in basketball and if Boki can't defend his man then what good is it if he shoots a high percentage. I wouldn't think he would be posting 30 pts on McGrady.

17. studogg

But don't get me wrong. I like what they both did as well. I just think that it will be Yao suring up the middle that will create more time for Nachbar.

18. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

I agree that Yao will be the key to the offense and defense of the Rockets. I just think that Boki being a Euro player, known to shoot very well, would be a better backup to Rice than KT. The zone defense is killing a lot of teams, only three this year that averages more than 100 pts. The opinion is that the best way to beat the zone is with good outside shooting. That's what the Mavs, Kings, and Pacers have. Incorporate Boki and Tito to develop that type of system. Tito as an assist minded player and Boki hiting all the wide open J's. Steve and Cat slashing. Yao anchoring the middle.

But I can also see from Rudy's POV. The Rox are holding 4th place in the West, so it's tough to make changes even if your gut says that certain moves may pay future dividends.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hmmm...

PG Maddox
    SG Francis
    SF Nachbar
    PF Cato
    C Yao

Highest shooting % lineup.;)

20. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I like this lineup. After such a bad game, it's time to try something new. My only concern: Is Boki ready to start at this point?