1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I like Marquese Chriss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I like his perimeter defense. I like his post defense. I like his ability to switch. I like his defensive communication.
    I like his speed in rotation and coverage. I like his footwork. I like his hands. I like his reach. I like his screens. I like his ability to roll and finish above the rim. I like his ability to shoot from distance.

I haven't watched this guy enough, and maybe over time I'll change my mind. But I went back through my tape of the Spurs game, where he finally got some extended minutes, and I thought that on almost every play where he didn't look good, the problem was either inexperience, lack of PT with the team, or somebody else's fault. He's playing smarter with his hands, avoiding fouls. He's rolling to the basket, even when the guard doesn't pass him the ball.

He fits so well with our ball handlers and our style. He fits better than Hartenstein. He plays like Capela. Not as well, but the same style. That's a great thing to have, a guy who can come in and replicate that role, so our other guys can keep their roles and rhythm.

Maybe I'm just another sucker who sees this guy's physical talent and not whatever mental blocks are holding him back. Maybe that's what Morey was thinking, that he can always find a sucker like me who wants Chriss bad enough to trade something valuable for him.

But if we can get him some more PT, I wonder whether he can improve the way Capela did. Imagine going up against the Warriors and having that one extra guy who can hold his own in our switching defense and play the two-man game with Harden or CP. That would be a huge lift.

2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I absolutely agree, there’s nothing that Hartenstein does that Chriss couldn’t do better. He finish above the rim and has some range. Hopefully now we can get him in the rotation consistently.

JuNx, D-rock, coachbadlee and 2 others like this.
  3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Marquese, please be careful with your money. Giving it to someone so they'll be nice to you on the internet is a waste of money.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

I'm sorry, you know I support all are players(and I wish him sucess)....but imma quote that article again for the third time:

"Strengths: Physically can do anything on the basketball court

Weaknesses: Basketball"

I'm sorry but, if Clark, Hartenstein are going to be out of the rotation then he should not be in. He's going to take so much time to polish(if that even happens) and we dont have time.

Zoplicone likes this.
  5. riko

riko Member

His moving screens are annoying but he has some tools to work with. However I think by December. 15 and after he will be packaged in a deal with Melo and maybe Knight

True Rocket likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Go to bed @Will you're drunk..

Reeko, Rox Addict, sirjesse and 11 others like this.
  7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

My seats are row A courtside, so I can hear communication pretty clearly from every player.

Chriss is constantly lost on defense, and is an extremely poor communicator. The gap between Hartenstein and Chriss is absolutely massive, and would take YEARS of training to fix. It’s extremely doubtful that Chriss is capable of learning rotations at all, due to either lack of intelligence or lack of work ethic.

I’ve never seen a guy look so clueless on defense, and I’ve seen nearly every shitty dedender that has ever graced the Toyota center.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

lol I've watched him a lot last on the Suns and he's absolutely one of the worst BBIQ players in this league.

Makes really dumb fouls and boneheaded plays. He's a bit like Harell where he plays with his heart (very emotional guy) but he doesn't make the right reads. On the defense, he doesn't play team defense properly, you can see that in the games where he gets minutes. Doesn't know where he's supposed to be when switching defense is already super easy, you just need to communicate.

9. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Well I also felt he defended against Aldridge better than Capela did against the spurs. Maybe it’s because he is heavier or coz Capela has his bad habits or what not but I liked the way Chriss played him. And on the perimeter he was decent but not great. chriss held his ground better and also doesn’t jump for every shot to attempt a block.

Hartestein is getting better but needs more muscle and more experience. Capela needs a bit more muscle too but if he was smarter with his block attempts he would be a ton better.
    At times he should just pretend he is going to block or just have his presence near. Then go for the rebound or get in position by boxing inside. Instead of trying to block every shot.

D-rock likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

to tell you the truth mcw also looked awesome vs spurs

coachbadlee and Sidarma like this.
  11. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

Bro, I think his 400W expiration contract is much more valuable than his own.

I think his position on the court is terrible.

The feeling of attacking the basket was so bad that it even gave me a feeling that the ball was unstable.

Concentration on the court is also very general, feeling at any time distracted, always at a loss.

emmmm...... Now Nene is back. I think our inside line is basically CC,、Pj and Nene three people rotation.German boy and Marquese may only play 10 minutes a game.

#11 疯狂伊文戴德蒙, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hartenstein is better, simply because he puts forth effort.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hartenstein gives good effort and has decent knowledge of where to be. That makes him a better player than Chriss despite significantly less physical abilities.

Hartenstein could develop into a decent backup big in time. Chriss on the other hand...well you can't fix stupid.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

China material, he just doesn't care.

15. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Chriss reminds me of a young Whiteside.. Let’s see if he can get it together.

16. Papa John

Papa John Member

Feels like they are in showcase mode with this guy. Not sure what he did wrong behind scenes and hopefully he can get his touches.
    I agree he can play the same capela role. I want chriss and hartenstein to get some run. Now is the time..

Seems like rockets cut bait with assets quickly. This guy feels like he is part of a package. Gordon feels same.

Its a bucket - players we know are players but we dont keep. Part of doing business but this guy is probably not long for rockets world.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

difference is Hartenstein has a motor, Chriss mind is riding a bicycle

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’ve been very disappointed in his game. Because I haven’t watched him in previous years I gave him a clean
    slate for a change of scenery or new setting and find his game at rookie level. Should be much further along
    at this point in his career. Reason for pause.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I know it's painful for the average person like me to hear, but athleticism can make up for low bball iq or effort. Smart and hard-working players are unplayable just as often as athletic boneheads.

The only reason I give him a chance though is because the coaching and player development in Phoenix is garbage. Everyone looks bad there, and most prospects are undeveloped. Tyson Chandler, PJ Tucker, Jackson, Bender, Knight all statistically looked worse than they actually were. It's a motivation issue as well playing for such a terrible organization.

He's not going to do a 360 but the most likely scenario is he improves at least a little bit after joining a veteran team with winning ambitions and a great organization overall. I don't think improving a little bit would be enough to make him playable though. I wish him luck, would help us a lot. It wouldn't be the first time a young seemingly hopeless prospect turned into a bench player. The absolutism regarding his potential is really silly imo. Might be he just needs to come to terms with the fact that he's not going to be a football player and this is a great gig.

D-rock, coachbadlee and Bearius Jones like this.