1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE JAMES FRAUDEN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, May 9, 2015.

?

Have you given up on James Harden?

1. Yes, Harden makes me soften.

47.2%
  2. No, give him more time to be as good of a leader as T-Mac.

52.8%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Harden doesnt need to change his game...he just needs to get into the shape he was last year.

He can do several things at an MPV level- penetrate, finish, draw fouls, create corner 3s, run the PnR, create his own shots (from anywhere on the court), handle the ball. He's a plus rebounder as well and can actually defend well when he wants to.

But all those get negated when he is a couple steps slow from being out of shape (or not caring)

#1441 Mr. Clutch, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is a fine line between mediocrity mediocrity and above average.

Harden does a lot of things well enough, his fundamentals are good as well.

Of course he is flawed but Offense isn't one of those things that he is inept at.
    It isn't a thing of beauty for sure. My 2 cents but it's effective.

You can argue that his Offensive habits won't allow another high scorer to co-exist.

That is a topic for another round.

BTW Durant would be one of the only players that would be satisfied with just taking '10-15' shots a game while playing very solidly and no bad mouthing, and still able to being vocal on the court.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly. This is getting tiresome, tiresome.

Wait to see what we would be like if you traded him away. The haul would have to be magnificent.

Yes, Harden has his faults. I would bring down the lazy turnovers before worrying about the defense, but both are issues, sure.

But the guy never misses a game, he carries the team on his back. He's played for two poor coaches (one poor coach and one awful) here in Houston. Let's see how a new better coach and teammates (fingers crossed) elevate his game and the team as well.

I think Harden himself knows he needs a kick in the ass from time to time. But it's going to be a Tom Thibodeau or such who gives it to him, not any of us.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You miss the fact that it will be hard to get a decent coach in return.

This hot mess of a season, Daryl's interference into coaching, Les Alexander being a coach's nightmare ready to fire anyone on that seat,
    Harden being an inconsistent leader, Howard (gone) a clown

You sound positive and I would say stay positive!

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

1st Bold: Of course there is...and Harden is an elite offensive player. Far above "above average". I don't care about how pretty it looks. He's elite. Really is not debatable.

2nd Bold: You could argue that...but it'd be nothing more than blind speculation, seeing as how he already has co-existed with Durant and Westbrook. And even if you don't count that Thunder team, what other consistent scoring threat capable of creating his own offense has Harden played with as a Rocket? Parsons? He did pretty good alongside Harden, I'd say, no? Who else? Jeremy Lin?

3rd Bold: Why would Durant's number of shots change if he joined Harden?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It won't change. Just stated Durant is one of the most friendly co stars there is.

I cannot think of another. Maybe Duncan but he is old.

2nd Bold: It is not his attitude or demeanor that is the problem.

His way of overdribbling, sticking to the ball, Turnover prone style of Bball is what makes him not attractive to playing with if you are the other superstar.

I get you are his fan, I am not, I do not care about him, I cheer for the team, and sometimes I pray he has less TOs but that is all I do for him.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have come a long way just to discuss who is elite at this, at that or who is not.

Just let me say this, Harden's way of Basketball isn't sustainable, he will have to alter his game somehow.

He is literally shortening his career by playing too much. I am sure he is durable and so but when he is nearing his 30 he will feel the mileage.

You can count on that.

8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Just to counter argue.. What makes James Harden an elite offensive player? His first instinct is to bull doze his way to the rim to get the calls (he doesn't prioritize finishing either) but what if the refs swallow their whistle? He's not a consistent enough shooter to be labeled an elite shooter

I will say 2013-15 years he was a much better player and undoubtedly the step back king but you can really see what all the partying and neglect to improve has done to himself this year. He looks really stiff and awkward.. he flops almost every drive and doesn't care to finish at the rim. He's ruining himself

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He dribbles a lot and has a high usage rate because he doesn't have another capable offensive player alongside him. Harden's smart enough to know not to let guys like Brewer or Ariza handle the ball and try to make plays. I don't think he did a great job of helping Lawson along, but it quickly became clear Lawson wasn't worth a damn anyway.

If Durant or whoever comes, and Harden's still doing all that, then I'll gladly change my tune, but I'm sorry...I just can't get that upset with Harden much for that at the moment given the supporting cast he has, because they're not going to do any better. And that's not even mentioning the coach...which is obviously a detriment for us right now, but that's another discussion.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pretty embarrassing question. A sign of how ridiculous some are on this website.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not angry with a player. Never will be. Disappointed? Frustrated? Of course.

I feel nothing I say might change your opinion, that is fine with me.

Maybe I raised my bar too high, wanting a legendary player like Duncan, like Jordan or like Curry that can get improvement from their teammates, achieve
    60 wins or above.

Sure you need a coach for that but Kerr did not achieve much before his GSW days either.

Kicking the can while we are at it.

Elite player? Sure, then you have to admit there are players that are less elite or more elite than other elite players.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think Harden's doing alright if he's being held to the standard of Hall of Famer Top 25 player status. He is not that level, and he is not the best player in the league. That's obvious. I've never argued he is.

13. BackdoorHarden

He said Warriors ain't no good. Everything the Warriors did, was because the Rockets didn't bother to show up

"Everything that happened yesterday was because of us," he said.

14. chandlerbang21

Its a legit question. Look at every other star guard and foward in the league and how they have a multitude of ways to score while harden shoots 3's at top of the key and can only drive left for a layup/foul bait. Getting to the freethrow line by hooking the defenders arm and flailing your head isnt considered an elite skill.

15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Harden is the type of player that the older generation doesn't like. He is either a shoot the 3 or drive to the hole player. The great ones especially guards have to be defended all over the floor.

16. ibm

ibm Member

ouch!

:p

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

You've projected your opinion on an entire generation of players. :rolleyes:

Harden was burnt previously for playing ISO basketball. What do you think those crossovers were? Where's the evidence his mid range game isn't good?

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The one thing pro Harden and contra Harden can agree on is

Harden has so far not had to sacrifice his scoring for this team

Great players sometimes have to sacrifice that.

Sacrifice Offense to play Defense!

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so who wil he be deferring the offense to?

20. nnayak

nnayak Member

I can't judge Harden until he plays for a REAL coach with a REAL system. So far he has had Brooks, McHale and JB. Quite possible 3 of the worst coaches of the last decade when it comes to implementing a non-ISO offense. The ONE time he was around a non-dumbass for a coach, with Coach K and Thibs he was praised as a leader. So please Morey, hire a good coach