1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I hate trade season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 19, 2015.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know everyone gets excited by wheeling and dealing, and I hate it, can't stand it.

I want to develop players - sure a small move here or there is fine, like Brewer or Shved etc, but I really don't want to trade any core pieces, for other core pieces that are really just a shot in the dark as to whether it improves the team.

We are beholden to Dwight getting healthy, with a healthy Dwight we are a contender as assembled - assuming we start to use some of our younger assets to fill in for older fading veterans like Jason Terry.

Rudy T did a great job of mixing in Robert Horry and Sam Cassell and bumped veterans to the bench to play them - I am looking at you Scottie Brooks.

IMHO, the Rockets have that penetrating player already on the team in Canaan, and another rookie behind him that may be even better in Johnson.

I would prefer we keep this core, and build - rather than flipping assets, especially considering Dwight's condition/situation.

So, it may not be a popular opinion, but I really am tired of all the roster flipping, I want to cheer on Harden, Tjones, DMo, Canaan, Johnson, Capella, Beverley, all of them......for the next few years.

I don't want to have more of a revolving door - let's roll with what we have, and find time to replace older guys with like skilled, younger ones.

DD

PS. Maybe trade JTerry for a 2nd round pick to free up Canaan? LOL - yeah, I know...a trade...heh.

2 people like this.
  2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Why would you hate the opportunity to improve your team? We all know that Morey tends to make out like Bandits when it comes to trades.....I'm all for making this roster better.

I think any logical fan would think the same way.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

agree 100 % man . For those reasons you gave and more. The news is a sh#tstorm and clutchfans is even worse. A sane person would stay away from it , but i love the rockets too much to not pay attention.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It doesn't matter how long PBev continues to play in this league or how much chemistry he develops with Harden, et al... a player like Dragic or Lawson is leaps and bounds better then him and improves your team.

If you hate trade season for the reasons you note, you also hate the Rockets second championship.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

you tinker until you find the right mix. team as is, is not winning a championship. dwight isn't getting any younger, our window with him can only be open for so long. we can't rely on youngins like cannan or johnson right now

6. DaDakota

That is just not true - Morey has made tons of lateral moves that have not really advanced the team.

His big move was getting Harden.

I am a firm believer that the Spurs approach of adding small pieces to a core is better than constant flipping of assets/players.

Look at Goran saying he won't sign here long term for fear of being traded - I think it is time to tone it down some.
    That is why I want Canaan to start, and Clyde was a UNIQUE situation, because he and Dream already meshed.

DD

7. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

You do realize that having the opportunity to even trade for Harden was because of the prior moves that Morey made. Every addition to this roster regardless ofhow unimportant you view it, can pay dividends in the long run.

I'm a fan that wants to win a championship. If our GM feels that this team isn't good enough to win one, then the roster must be tinkered until it is good enough. Bottom line.

8. DaDakota

Yes, but I think that once you HAVE a Harden, you need to grow organically with the draft and small moves - I think this roster is pretty complete, if the coaching staff would look a little further down the bench for players that have the skillset that is missing ATM.

BTW - I love Morey as GM, love this site, love the Rox - just tired of trades being what everyone cheers for.....let's get back to winning and building.

DD

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Great players mesh together inherently... frankly even when they aren't the "perfect" compliments to each other.

See Boston Celtics Big 3/4
    See Miami Heat

Wrt Dragic, there is reason for hesitancy there, because there is at least a breaking-in period, and as a short-term rental you would be hesitant giving up otherwise legit assets for something that might just be on the verge of meshing in an awesome way, that then walks to another team.

But I guarantee you that he would mesh with the team, just as Lawson would mesh with the team, etc.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Loving the Deadline and loving watching our young players develop isn't mutually exclusive, DD.

11. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

You're speaking with wrong facts (re: Spurs as a model to follow) and close-mindedness (re: talent & experience levels of our young guys)

12. DaDakota

I hate seeing our young players developing on other teams.

Dragic, Lowry, Patterson etc....

DD

13. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Cuz that Valetines Day trade in 1995 was HORRIBLE. Set us back years. If only they'd developed talent instead of trading for whoever we got... I don't recall.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What I don't like about the first half of the season is how talk of Game Action takes a backseat to Roster Moves to the point threads get derailed in a matter of a few posts. Nearly every thread (no matter if it starts by analyzing Game Action) seems to always revert to the same discussion regarding who to trade or trade for.

I'm always relieved when the deadline passes and we can discuss the drive for the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  15. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

They do both, DMO, TJones, Canaan were developed in house. Why limit yourself? I think one could argue that Morey sometimes goes overboard with trades (Rick Adelman would be in this camp) and ends up losing talent with his quick flips (Dragic, Lowery). I'm pretty happy with the team they have and he did land the best offensive player in the league.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

17. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Out of those 3 players the only one we drafted was Patterson and he is a back up forward with mediocre stats.

The other guys we traded for. You know, the thing that you hate to do.

1 person likes this.
  18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Who's recently won a championship by developing a team?

Also it's a catch-22, if you build the players by the time you get good enough to really contend those developed players want to get paid and you can't pay them all.

NBA reality today is you build and keep your core and fill the gaps however necessary.

19. DaDakota

I love Dragic - you can read hundreds of my posts about giving him the player option back in the day, or that it was a MAJOR mistake to let him go.

That being said, he would cost too much now - and we have a guy on the bench who fits every single criteria that this team is missing in Canaan - he is a much better Jason Terry and younger, more athletic, and can play better defense.

Sometimes, a GM has to force the hand of a coach - I guess I would be in favor of a small trading Jason Terry move.

But I want this core to grow together - at least until we find out Dwight's status going forward.

DD

20. rocketseagles07

Didn't you also want to keep Lamb?