1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I hate to criticize JVG...BUT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blake, Mar 12, 2006.

1. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Yes Ryan Bowen has very little talent to speak of. It's kind of sad to watch that at work. You think the longer you've been in the NBA, talent wise, the better you'd get right?

It's not like we're any match for the slumping Spurs anyways...

2. tslee98

tslee98 Contributing Member

If the guards hadn't gone away from the game plan in the third quarter by starting to shoot errant three pointers, JVG wouldn't have resorted to using RyBo to prove a point to those guys.

But that being said, the team fought back again (I like the fact that they don't quit), and the more critical error that led to the loss was playing Juwan instead of Stromile in the last few minutes of the game. Juwan couldn't defend Duncan, but Stromile is more athletic and could have put the clamps on him. I would have liked to see that happen.

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

B/c Wesley went down and he played more minutes. He played a decent game

I'm not blaming the loss on Bowen, the Spurs are great, but the fact remains that when he went into the game, they suffocated Yao and we fell into a hole b/c it was essentially 5 on 4 b/c he is worthless.

JVG needs to give up on him. When you play the inside/outside game that we have to play w/out T-Mac, why would you put in a player that cannot even hit from 10 feet, much less from the three point line?

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Thats what I dont get. All the players that make a difference for the Rockets are getting injured.

The ones who need to get injured, RyBo and Jho, seem to come out looking like Ironmen.

The ones who hurt the Rockets the most when they are on the court, again RyBo and Jho, are JVG's favourites.

Its been a strange season. Straight out of the friggin Twilight zone.

5. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Well. you should be able to tell your team how to play without resorting to play Ryanbo, as a coach.

6. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

when you hustle you don't get injured. you only get injured when you try to make shots. or when you rebound.

7. fa7999

fa7999 Member

JVG & Rybo is a combo package, like it or not. Rybo must have lots of talents that we fans cannot see on the court.

8. houstonpoker

houstonpoker Contributing Member

There's an episode of King of the Hill where Bobby became the "star" of the track team. The coach would use Bobby as a motivation tool. Any time an athelete is not performing well, Bobby is substituted in as a way to humiliate the slacker. The message is: "You are doing so crappy I'm willing to put in a fat lazy boy in your place." The team made it to the finals because nobody wanted to be humiliated by a Bobby substitution.

I think Rybo is being used in the same way. :(

9. fa7999

fa7999 Member

JVG encouraged him not to be afraid to take more open shots after bricks, at least according to the Chronicles.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

hahahaha...nice

11. dream2franchise

Sorry to big up something else, but did Yao get dunked on twice?! according to Yahoo, both Finley and Manu dunked on Yao in the 4th, i just wanted to get clarification...

12. houstonpoker

houstonpoker Contributing Member

I saw the Manu dunk. The Finley dunk, that one I'm not so sure should be attributed to Yao. Finley had a wide open lane and I'm not sure if Yao was even trying to guard him. The Manu "dunk" was pretty sweet, though. On the plus side, no one in the league could've stopped him on that one.

13. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

With David Wesley and Mcgrady out the only options on the bench are Brunson and Bowen. We gotta give Head, Bogans, and Alston a little rest. I know we're not suggesting we run Hayes out there at the small forward spot and have him guard Finley. Hayes would have created the same problems at the sf position that Bowen did for Yao on offense. I didn't like seeing Bowen out there but there wasn't a better option unless you want to play Bogans, Head, and Alston the entire 2nd half.

14. sun12

sun12 Member

Right, why didn't JVG play Steve Nash? ops, Nash is not on Rox's team.

Guys, face it, JVG does not have much talents to work with.
    CD does not draft well outside top 5. Free agents have been busts.
    Les is tight with money.

15. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Brokeback Rockets? LOL. Somebody's gotta do a movie poster of those two.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

There was a long stretch in the third when we stopped getting the ball to Yao Ming. The program comentator said this is when San Antonio came back and made their run. Did anyone else notice this ?

17. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Exactly. I am 60 years old, I would hustle and play with my whoe heart. Do the JVG pay me to play? :D

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

The problem is that JVG does not know how to quit RyBo. He is not interested in a 60-year old right now. Nice try though.

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Have you ever been to the gym to play a pickup game and been short of players? You have 9 guys ready to run you need just that one guy to run full. You wait a half hour and nobody has showed up. Tired of playing 21 one on 8, you yell down to the little kids (you booted down to the "bush" end when you got there because this rim is better) and you ask the one that looks like he may have some skills to come down and run with you in that tenth spot.

He is so excited, he can barely contain himself. He hustles and runs the court, but, basically his team is playing 4 on 5. He tries really hard and can even be a pest on defense but nobody covers him on offense because he'll get pounded if he drives the lane and he is scared to shoot and have the bigger kids yell at him. You keep playing hoping somebody else will show up. Hell, you hope anybody with a pulse will show up because you are tired of losing. When nobody shows, you start switching up teams so everybody has to play shorthanded and everybody doesn't get discouraged and leave (then there is no game at all). You don't want to be too rough on the kid because he may quit and game over. What a crappy day when this happens but you struggle through and try to have fun.

If you insert Ryan Bowen into the little kid spot in this scenario that every one of us who has ever laced up a pair of sneakers has faced, you have my view of his game and how the Rockets look with him in our lineup. He looks like the kid excited to be out there, but, without the skills to play at this level. The frustrating part for me is, we have more skilled players sitting over there watching. What do those players feel like watching this scrub come into the game while they have to sit and watch from the bench in their warmups? If another guy shows up to run, wouldn't we all kick the kid back down to the "bush" league with the other scrubs so we could run a legit game? Why does JVG continue to hurt his team and make his players have to fight to make up for RYBO's lack of ability? This is why I hate JVG!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Rfan

Rfan Member

He might have a chance, JVG loves picking up old folks. Just tell him you met him at New York.