1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I got in a big car accident, but don't have the idiot's insurance info.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Some idiot ran a red light and hit my car - completely wrecking the front. Highway patrol / police came. However, they didn't give me the idiot's insurance info, so what am I supposed to do?

The police took down my insurance info and theirs - but didn't share that info with me. What to do?

(I'm a relatively new driver, so apologies if this is a dumb question)

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Uh, get it from the police or get the police report and contact the driver.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Once there's an incident report, I believe the insurance companies get all the info automatically. It may depend on the state a bit, but you may even hear from your insurance company before they hear from you.

If in doubt, agree with ^: call the PoPo and ask them about it.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't sweat it. The police report will have both insurances.

Important question: Was a ticket issued to either driver?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly.
    The 'wording' of the report could be important as well.

Rocket River

6. Swishh

Swishh Member

So, I should contact my insurance since they got the police report, correct?

I didn't get one, but the idiot might have - he had some alcohol (not sure how much) prior to the incident.

7. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Contact your insurance company ASAP and share any information with them that you have. They should be able to do the rest and contact the other person's insurance, especially if you're not liable.

8. Swishh

Swishh Member

The accident happened at 1 a.m this morning - do you think they have the police report already?

9. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Even if they don't right now, they'll eventually get it and it doesn't hurt to let them know that there's a police report. Insurance companies usually want you to contact them right away. Hopefully it's not your fault and if you're experiencing any pain, let them know that as well or they'll probably ask you too.

10. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

The police officer probably already sent it to the respective insurance companies.

Inform your insurance company regarding the incident.

If they are not aware of it, talk to the police officer so that you can get their information.

If no insurance company calls you within a few days, start contacting them.

If they do contact you, they will send you a letter in the mail regarding the accident.

Make sure you send the letter in a timely manner.

This is going to be a lengthy process.

Unless they have a good insurance company who won't take forever to assess the damage.

Goodluck and thankfully you're safe.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If it were me, I'd have your insurance company contact the other fellow's insurance company, as well as HPD, or wherever it was. You shouldn't talk to his insurance company at all.

12. ln3012

ln3012 Member

this is why you pay for insurance. assuming it was the other driver's fault, call your insurance and let them know what happened. i wouldn't even bother going through the trouble of contacting the PD. have your insurance do all the work. remember, you pay them to work for you

1 person likes this.
  13. The Boz

The Boz Member

EXACTLY! Call your insurance company immediately. They will handle everything. Like ln3012 said, this is why you pay them. They will look out for their best interest which will also be your best interest. ,

14. Nook

Nook Member

#1 contact your insurance company, they will get the police report and insurance information.
    #2 If you feel sore or not right in anyway, get checked out ASAP.
    #3 If the other driver was given a citation (ask your insurance company) plan on appearing at traffic court to testify against them.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed under no circumstances give a statement to his insurance company, it will only be used against you.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This. Just be on their asses about getting it complete.

It took the ****ty Henderson PD took 3 weeks to give me my report, I had no idea who hit me and I was paying for the rental out of pocket.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You are correct, but I have a funny story. One time this young guy hit my car from behind. On the scene, he admitted to what happened and we were going to handle it without insurance. I got a price for the damage and we met at a grocery store parking lot to settle it with cash. Thought I was doing him a favor keeping his insurance out of it.

Well, his stupid mother-in-law had got a hold of him first, changed his mind and told him to claim I cut in front of him. I told him he was making a mistake but, c'est la vie. She must have been dumb as a box of rocks because photos proved what happened. For some reason, I went off script and called his insurance company. The person I spoke with threw the guy under the bus. Made me laugh. They paid me 3-4x more than necessary to fix the rear bumper and I ended up with about $1,500.00 leftover.

But for the record, NEVER talk to the other party's insurance company. It's the same as giving them rope to hang you.

18. heads.up

heads.up Member

I am in a lengthy situation in which a driver pulled out in front of me from a small side street while I had the right of way. It is 100% on him but for some reason there was no ticket given even though the report states that the other driver ran a stop sign. Can you explain why that is an important question?

19. Swishh

Swishh Member

Huh, interesting. So if they are clearly liable, it is still best to contact my insurance company and give them the offender's info rather than handling it myself, correct?

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When fault is debatable, a ticket given to one driver ends the discussion and insurance companies fall in line.

In your case, fault seems to be clear without a ticket based on remarks in the report.

Last year, my son rear-ended another vehicle and the officer did not give him a ticket just to show mercy to a remorseful young driver. My wife and I expressed our gratitude to him.

Since fault is clear, why is your situation lengthy?