1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I find it almost impossible to read physical books. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mathloom, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Anyone else have this problem?

I read/watch around 6 hours a day, but it's typically journals, articles, talks, classes, research reports and tutorials.

But when it comes to a physical book, once I hit the 15-20 page range, I forget the same sentence indefinitely. It's so strange. I'll hit a wall. Read the same sentence over and over again and be incapable of remembering it.

I've bought almost a hundred books at this point. Tried biographies, fiction, novels, non fiction, history, reference, etc. Short books, big books. Different font sizes. Same problem every time. Audiobooks the same. I hit a wall at some point.

I thought it was A.D.D. but I watch talks that last hours without a problem. Now that you can speed things up in youtube, I watch 3-4 hours of boring dry talks at 1.25 speed. That works beautifully. I've read research reports beginning to end dozens of pages. No problem. Many newspapers a day, various topics. No problem.

It's just something specifically with physical books and I'm tired of reading/watching everything about an author and his book without actually reading the book. At this point, all the books I read I have to just skip over whole chapters then come back and try again skipping different chapters until I go over everything at least once. It's a painfully slow way to read books, and it means I've read maybe 20-30 books voluntarily. That's aside from school/college books before, which I also couldn't do but I am really exceptional at cramming for some reason - which seems at odds with my problem.

Any tips/tricks/advice?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Maybe you just need to work through it slowly and get used to reading a book again breh. Take breaks after a few pages.

Anyway, I'd rather wait for the movie than read the book.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No, its actually a lot easier to me because staring at screen light hurts my eyes. On top of that, I don't have to worry about a book dying, or dropping it, and there's way less distraction on physical books as well lol.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Place a gummy bear at the end of each sentence and work your way through the book.

1 person likes this.
  5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

What about an E-reader (Kindle / iPad) ?

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sounds mental. I prefer book, but the size and access anytime convenience of electronic screen is great. Heck, I print out large research paper at work all the time because holding paper and making direct notes on them is more productive to me.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I can do either a book or my Kindle Paperwhite. Lately I've been using actual books.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Try sex with super models. Its worth a shot.

1 person likes this.
  9. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Try reading cases during law school out of a textbook. That was the worst.

I just tried to be more active when I would read (using a highlighter / pen in the book to mark things down) and try and set "benchmarks" for myself (like finish reading this case / get to a certain page before taking a break. Sometimes you just have to force yourself to do it though.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still prefer reading fiction in a real book and find it easier than reading it off of a screen. I still like to read a few chapters of an actual book before I sleep each night.

Try just reading before you sleep and at an unrushed pace. Don't think of it as trying to get in as much info as possible but more like taking a walk and enjoying the scenery.

11. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

Meditate... Your mind is probably cluttered with thoughts. I had the same problem. My mind was always rushing to get to the end of things . Meditation lets you slow down and be present. So you can enjoy the ride "book" instead of rushing to get done with it.

1 person likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ulysses is a real page turner. That should get you over this problem.

1 person likes this.
  13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

clever disguise 'im litirate thred"

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If it's physical books, why are you having the same problem with audio books then. Maybe it's the content and reason for reading.

It sounds like for work/school you devour the books/readings to gather the knowledge, as Mathloom suggests.

Then for leisure reading it seems you have trouble, maybe get bored or start thinking about other things around page 15-20, whereas for work/school you are more focused. Maybe it's just simply that it's leisure reading; hence why you have the same problem with audiobooks.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You funny.

Although the same thought crossed my mind. :)

I read a lot, too, and simply got tired of lugging around books, or having them clutter up shelves. Now I have my Kindle and can store so many digitally.

There are times when the actual physical binder-and-killed-trees-pages is better to have....i.e, pictures, photos, maps (especially when reading history).

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How about you read about 20 pages, stop, go to sleep. Then, next day read another 20 pages. If you're reading for pleasure, the point is not to have consumed the book. The point is to enjoy the reading of it. When you're not enjoying it anymore, take a break.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

i still read a newspaper. and news magazines. and books.

i prefer paper over pixels. get off my lawn!

18. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Quit fapping so much.

I prefer reading in books and find no problems with it. Reading on a screen gets tiresome.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I feel very similar about physical books. Can't do it. Online articles, all day long, but paper backs, no sir.

20. conquistador#11

i can't read a comic book on any electronic device. i feel it ruins the whole purpose of a comic book. i want to hold it, feel the pages turning and freak out about keeping it in mint condition.