1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I feel the need] Top Gun 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, May 24, 2017.

1. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I loved the first movie so much that even though I don't like most sequels, this one might intrigue me. They could build off of Maverick saying he was thinking about being a top gun instructor at the end of the 1st one. "Top Gun?? God help us!"

Not sure how they would set everything up, since like others have said, there aren't really dogfights anymore. Maybe Maverick could be a Top Gun Instructor while Goose's kid is in the class trying to live up to his father's name? I don't know...that's what Mav was doing in the 1st movie, so maybe no.

The more I think about it, the more I think they should just remaster the original for IMAX or something. I would totally go see it again in a really nice surround-sound theater (which didn't exist 30 years ago).

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

'Top Gun 2': Tom Cruise signals filming has begun on sequel 'Maverick'
    Jayme Deerwester, USA TODAYPublished 11:19 a.m. ET May 31, 2018 | Updated 3:17 p.m. ET May 31, 2018
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

feels the need. And we all know what for: The need for speed.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tom Cruise

✔@TomCruise

#Day1

12:42 AM - May 31, 2018

Early Thursday morning, the Top Gun actor posted a photo of himself in a flight suit staring at a waiting fighter jet on social media, captioning it "Day 1."

Yep, 32 years after the original Navy pilot flick premiered, Paramount confirmed to USA TODAY that production has begun on its long-awaited sequel, titled Top Gun: Maverick.

In January 2016, producer Jerry Bruckheimer shared a photo of himself and Cruise meeting to discuss potential plotlines.

At the time, the duo threw out ideas for a new story centered around a now-senior Maverick. Jungle Book writer Justin Marks was said to be incorporating the discussion into a screenplay.

“It’s something that if we get the script right, and Tom loves it, we’ll be off very shortly,” Bruckheimer told USA TODAY.

4. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

My dad flew in the movie

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

whitepeoplemovies.com/scientology/meh

6. Xerobull

Val Kilmer returns for ‘Top Gun: Maverick’
    By Anthony D'Alessandro, Deadline

June 7, 2018 | 9:18am

Modal Trigger
    [​IMG]
    Val Kilmer as Iceman in "Top Gun"©Paramount/Courtesy Everett Col
    ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED BY:
    [​IMG]
    Wonder If Tom Cruise Earns His 'Mission: Impossible' Paychecks? Watch This

Tom Cruise Back In The Danger Zone: Teases 'Top Gun: Maverick' Production Start

'Mission: Impossible - Fallout' Trailer: No Peace Without Great Suffering In Tom Cruise Action Thriller
    Val Kilmer is back in action with Tom Cruisewith “Top Gun: Maverick,” the sequel to the 1986 hit Jerry Bruckheimer production.

The Paramount movie, which hits theaters next summer on July 12, 2019 and is currently in production in San Diego, follows fighter pilots who are entangled in a drone-driven airspace which has made their flying obsolete.

Joseph Kosinski, who worked with Cruise on “Oblivion,” directs. Kilmer portray Iceman, the rival pilot to Cruise’s Maverick in the original Tony Scott-directed title.

Bruckheimer and Cruise are producing alongside Skydance’s David Ellison.

The original synth composer Harold Faltermeyer, who was behind the scores for such ’80s pics as “Beverly Hills Cop” and “Fletch,” is also back.

No other reported castings at this time on “Top Gun: Maverick.”

Obligitory

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Blame Gen-X fans, we had a 15-20 year break from major wars or massive economic or racial strife, so we treat movies and music like historical events and everything's a classic. Think of how many WWII movies there were in the '60s, or Vietnam movies in the '80s, compared to reboots or sequels of stuff from a generation ago. To be fair it's probably also major movie studios becoming publicly-traded conglomerates and third world markets having multiplexes now, so projects have to be as predictable and broadly appealing as possible.

8. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Is Val Kilmer still fat? I hope we can change his callsign to Glacier.

Jontro likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They should bring the guy who did Han Solo.

Not that I watched Solo, but the casting of a goofy grinning white boy is impeccable.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The only good thing about Top Gun was the aerial photography that they cobbled together into a story with the help of other footage of models blowing up. Not sure how much military cooperation they will have but without Tony Scott and in a world of CGI this is destined for mediocrity.

Will be interested to know what motorcycle Tom Cruise is riding. Hopefully Kawasaki puts together something, Possibly a second gen H2R

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe they could set it as an India v Pakistan skirmish?

12. Xerobull

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

So far unimpressed. Kenny Loggins better be on the soundtrack.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The flight scenes look cool but a sequel 33 years later...meh. If it surprises and turns out not to suck, I may see it. But it'll probably play up the nostalgia angle.

I hope Goose doesn't show up as a Force Ghost.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this might be worth seeing on IMAX (ala the Red Flag documentary on IMAX)

#36 Commodore, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, I'm a sucker for nostalgia, so I'm ALL IN.

Actually, it depends. If it's all real jets - absolutely. If it's all CGI - not so much.

But yeah, I watched Wall Street - Money Never Sleeps the other day and liked it, if that tells you anything. The storyline was lame but this short scene made the entire movie for me:

18. PhiSlammaJamma

The trailer didn't get me too excited. Thought Ed Harris looked too old. But think the dogfighting in Rogue One on the Imax was spectacular, so although the magic of military flight has waned significantly, think there is action potential. I just don't see how they can reignite it and push the envelope any further than it has gone now that flying is so automated. With ice man out of the picture and Hopkins dead, what more can they do with Maverick to bring him full circle. The young girl and young guy look hot, so they have some potential there, but I'm not feeling it in the trailer.

#38 PhiSlammaJamma, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

So it's a movie about an old man taking his fighter jet out for some joy rides?

Jontro likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Does the US airforce need pilots or something?