1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I don't want to be *that* poster, but...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

How long can/should the Astros sit on the dumpster fire that is their 1B/3B/DH situation?

Since August 1, Carter*, Gattis, Gonzalez, Lowrie & Valbuena are a combined .221/.302/.388/.690. Valbuena has actually, minus the power, been good (.781 OPS; his OB% is a likely unsustainable .351) and Gattis has, well - he's been Gattis-like (.287 OB% and .471 slugging).

It's a little confounding that they haven't looked to White or Reed, isn't it? I know, I know... but, seriously - what IS the rationale? As aggressive as the team has been this year with Tucker, McCullers, Valaquez, Correa... why sit on either guy? It's not like Carter, et al, have a remarkably long track record of success - they're all fairly average to below-average MLers; we're not advocating replacing the reigning AL batting champ like those fools were a few months ago (.....). I'm just curious what others think the justification could possibly be.

* During the stretch, Carter's slugging % (.293) has dropped below his OB% (.300). He's truly having a flat-out horrendous season... Any chance he doesn't make the postseason roster?

2. Mattician

Mattician Member

I'll be happy as long as they do something about it by next season.

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Valbuena, for a third basemen is not bad, especially considering how good defensively he has been. Now, 1b we have a lot of problems, i thought Singleton was going to receive a chance, but for some reason Hinch wanted to use Carter :confused:

I think Tucker should learn to play 1b, we have White ready for next year, and Reed should get an opportunity in ST, but probably will be at triple a next year. At third base we have Moran, but like Reed, probably will play at triple a next year. I think Lowrie and Valbuena will fight for it, loser will probably be traded, and in 2017 is Moran.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nothing is going to be done until after this season. I think it's highly unlikely that Carter makes the postseason roster at this point. With Springer's imminent return, I expect Valbuena and Gonzalez to get a large majority of the ab's at 1B. I can't imagine Singelton getting any significant amount of time the rest of this season or being on the playoff roster...should we get there. I'd expect Reed, White and Duffy will get a shot next spring or they'll bring in a free agent.

5. Hey Now!

But why? Why drag your feet on it?... It's not as if perennial All-Stars are just in a slump and worth the patience. Carter has been flat-out terrible since game 1. And Gonzalez, as is common with back-ups, is proving that the more he plays, the less effective he is. And, frankly, Lowrie - who's better than Marwin - fits into this category, too.

It just feels like... I don't know: a bit of a conceit. You have a viable solution to a problem that has been in place since April...... why not act on it in the gift of a season where so many other young guys have made an impact?

6. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I think Luthnow believes he could get something in return for Carter, and right now that spot makes no difference, he will not be in the playoff roster. Now, for next year (next offseason), that spot could be important for guys like White, Duffy, and young guys that could become rule V players.

7. Hey Now!

Carter may not be on the playoff roster; but the roster will most assuredly contain a 1B. The spot does make a difference. Each position does.

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Of course there will be a 1b, I mean the spot (40 men roster spot) will NOT make a difference in the playoff spots. Now, this offseason, THAT SPOT will make a difference when we have to look at rule v guys.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

But what can they do? None of the options are on the 40-man and therefore aren't eligible for the playoffs. I'd be all for DFA'ing Carter and bringing one of them up for the rest of the season but that is highly unlikely. If Carter hasn't been cut by now, it isn't happening this season.

I completely agree with you. They should've done something last month to aleviate it. When Springer comes back, that means they're going to have to find time for Rasmus, Marisnick and Tucker. Can Rasmus or Tucker play 1B?

10. Airdough

Airdough Member

Off days in baseball after a series loss are almost as bad as the week after a Texans loss.

11. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe that players do not have to be on the 40-man to be playoff eligible, just had to have been in the organization by 8/31. They could still DFA somebody and add Reed/White to the 40-man and they would be able to play in the playoffs. The Royals did this last year with Finnegan.

At this point, I don't know why Robbie Grossman is still on the 40 man.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hear ya...but this team could use a day off for sure.

13. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

because ITS THE SEPTEMBER OF GEORGE!

Cheers on hoping he is back tomorrow.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I've said the same thing but there is legit nothing they can do about it right now, next season though we shall see,

15. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is there nothing they can do now?

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I've asked the same question on this board. I'm still confounded by the thought process.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Lowrie had a slump, but has posted a 1.500 OPS over the last 3 games. He had an MLB track record to suggest to he would pull out of his slump, and it appears he has. I see no reason to replace him, his OPS on the season is a very respectable .768. Benching him would be very short sighted.

Since August 17th Gattis has a .950 OPS. Like Lowrie, he has a track record, and the Astros have chosen to wait for him to live up to that. It's perfectly legitimate reason to keep playing a guy who is struggling but has past good results. As opposed to throwing an unknown, and unproven player into the mix.

1B is harder to defend. Carter is unlikely to get many more PA this season, so there's not much to complain about with him. Valbuena against righties is fine (.768 OPS), but we should call up Matt Duffy to platoon against lefties. White and Reed may struggle while adjusting, they may be like Singleton and suck outright. Simply playing them is no guarantee of anything.

18. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Unbelievable that people are still bringing this up... Ugh

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lowrie seems to be picking it up.

Probably too early for Reed

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

While White/Reed wouldn't guarantee anything... they'd still a potential upside over what Carter is capable of doing at this point. White is basically toying with AAA pitching.

I'd hate to waste a potential opportunity simply due to 40-man/service issue at THIS point... with pressing needs.

Also, as long as Carter is on the bench, and has a pulse, he's still going to get some plate appearances... just the nature of being on a baseball team's active roster (they all play at some point). Only way to guarantee that he'd get nothing is to release him.