1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I didn't know what it was!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 24, 2015.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's not a tattoo. If henna is a tattoo than stickers are tattoos.

I'm tired of right wing Christians and their safe spaces. The smallest **** irks them. Such p*****s.

1 person likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Suburban busybody moms will be the downfall of our species. I'm guessing she reached out to the local news about this.

4. fchowd0311

For decades, brown children have come home to their Hindu parents with Christmas cookies and candy canes without an ounce of b****ing. Good on you Indian Americans to not be little p*****s like the evengilical right.

"It will ruin our Christmas photos!". My god this woman has lived a sheltered life. This b**** needs some perspective.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Lady looks like a christian moron but she has a point. American school system sucks. We can't teach/learn math and sciences and we constantly read about fack ups like this. Why couldn't they just watch some Bollywood or something.

6. fchowd0311

How is this a 'fack up'. To dismiss the notion that 2nd grade education compromises more than hard sciences and math is silly. 2nd grade education all around the planet utilizes arts and crafts.

Just amazing deflection.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Welp, Indians are way better at math and science.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No she doesn't. This is elementary school.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The issue here is the tattoos on the girl's hands, not whatever outrage you suspect brown Indian Hindus may have. This isn't exactly non-religious face paint that was administered on a field day.

I'll put out a disclaimer, since this is Clutchfans, that while I do believe learning about world religions is acceptable and important, I don't feel the need to have students to write Islamic text in Arabic calligraphy, or paint their hands in Hindu tattoos, or reenact the crucifixion of Jesus, or any other such bull****.

10. Air Langhi

Henna is not just a hindu thing. It is an Indian thing. Its not like they forced it on her. They also sent a notice to the parents. Also they drew a flower on her hand.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

But there's nothing religious about it. Its like adding nail polish. It just happens to be customary in some Hindu celebrations. Henna is used in other cultures as well.

Comparing it to the calligraphy assignment or reenacting a Jesus crucifixion really doesn't make sense to me.

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The email sent to parents however did not define henna. Typing it into google the first entry returned (for me) was a wikipedia page about the Henna plant, not henna tattoos.

EDIT: Henna body art can also be referred to as Mehndi.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i have a 4 year old going to K grade next year, i dare someone to try and put temp body art on my kid. you can actually get really sick or even die. don't do or put anything into my kids body. in this example, henna ink suppliers can be really shady (china) and a huge health risk. can contain allergic substances.

i stand by my comments, it's a really stupid and risky way to celebrate multicultural day. could have done 100s of other things to celebrate multicultural day without touching kids, tatting kids, and without the risks/impact.

in summary, the school is just as stupid as this southern christian mom.

14. Air Langhi

I don't even why I bother, but here is what pops up when you type in henna.

[​IMG]

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

That isnt the point. They did not note they were going to use it on the kids.

More importantly henna does not wash off the skin easily. If you think its ok to dye a kid skin for a couple days, you're pretty ignorant. This is pretty foolish of the teacher. I think most parents would not approve of this.

Why would anyone apply or give anything to a big group of kids like this? There are a numerous things that could go wrong, especially allergy related.

16. Space Ghost

How is the mom being stupid? She was upset about the henna showing up in photos for the Holidays.

Some Christians are sensitive about marking their bodies, especially in regards to other religions, perm. or not. Do you think its ok to shove pork up in a Muslims face?

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

#18 Carl Herrera, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Do you think little kids commonly get temporary tats? All the little kids I know do. They love it. They exchange them. It happens on the flipping school bus.

So for some suburban American kid, a little temporary tat (even, GASP, from another CULTURE!) is in no way equivalent to forcing a forbidden food in some religious person's face, sorry.

This country is so ****ed. Let's get outraged about any little thing but then point fingers at different types of people who are outraged about other things. Just doomed to 7 levels of stupid.

EDIT: Let me add: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, (whichever offends someone the most).

1 person likes this.
  19. Space Ghost

Some religious beliefs are more important than others. Gotcha!