1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I can tell you the truth about Cato and the Bulls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gettinbranded, Jun 9, 2001.

1. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Chicago wants to be released from the stipulations of the Bryce Drew trade so that they can move their draft pick for next season or the season after that (not both).

Right now the stipulations say you all get our first rounder if the pick is 20 through 28 this season, next season, or the season afterward. We can't trade any picks until their position is determined.

Don't know who---but the rumor is it's Stackhouse. THAT'S A RUMOR---I don't know for sure. <shrug>

Houston said "Fine...we'll loose you, but you have to take Cato."

------------------

2. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Thanks for the info, nice to hear from a Bulls perspective.

------------------
    Draftsource.net

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Stackhouse and Mercer on the same team?

That won't fly.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

GB,

From what you have heard, would you expect the Rockets to deal Cato to Chicago for simply a future draft pick type deal to clear his salary, or do you know if the Rockets have interest in pursuing any of the Bulls with lower salaries (ie Fizer, Artest, Miller, etc.)? Of course I'm not suggesting Cato for one of these players... I'm just curious if you feel the Rockets would just give Cato for the cap relief, or if you think the Bulls would be interested in some other potential available Rockets or picks for one of your younger players rumored to be available.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I'm a little slow with this Bryce Drew trade.

How would they be relieved of giving up the draft pick? Stackhouse? Wha?!

------------------

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I had forgotten all about the Bryce Drew trade clause. That is one of the funniest situations in the NBA. Looks like Drew turned out to be a great draft pick after all, based on what he got us in trade. [​IMG]

------------------
    Bingbong was set up, led to an untimely death in the prime of his life for no other reason than pure malice. Things like that do not go unavenged. Sometimes it spills out onto the field of play.

7. The Rocket Guy

Actually, now there is discussion of Chicago sending Brad Miller to Indiana, Indiana sending Croshere to Houston (that seems to be the end result of any move the Rockets talk about), and Cato to the Bulls. I haven't heard anything about the Drew stipulation, but you would have to figure there is some catch to them being so willing to take Cato off our hands. The guy is a project at best, and not much of one at that. Pretty expensive project.

The Rocket Guy
    http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

------------------

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Damnit! I dont want Croshere! Why the hell are the Rockets so high on Croshere? He is a decent role player, but definitely not deserving of the 40 or 50 million dollar contract that he has!

------------------

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

As I understand it :

1)Chicago may be trying to work a deal for Stackhouse w/Detroit.
    2)Detroit wants some future first-round draft picks from Chicago in the deal.
    3)Chicago can't trade those picks because if the Bulls pick lands anywhere from 20-28 the first rounder belongs to us.
    4)Chicago wants to be released from the obligation to give us that draft pick so that they can deal their pick if need be.

I'd do it.

------------------
    "I always thought it was something that went around my house"
    - World B. Free on Defence

10. MManal

MManal Member

I'd take Croshere over Cato any day of the week. Both have big contracts so cap wise its a wash.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

11. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Gettinbranded,
    I thought Chicago's obligetion to us was for two 2nd round picks. It would be nice to have the final 411 on this deal.

A little dreamcasting.....
    #18, #23, release from the first round obligation (if correct), release from one of the 2nd round obligations, Cato & KT for....

#4 and Elton Brand

Yea, right, that's the ticket. Oh, and Morgan Fairchild is my girlfriend.

ROCKET

------------------

12. MManal

MManal Member

Rocket, it is, but the problem is that the Bulls cannot trade their pick for the upcoming draft until they are statistically eliminated from the playoffs. Thus, last season they may have liked to trade their pick in this draft for a vet before the trade deadline but could not b/c they werent mathetmatically eliminated yet. The actual provision is that if the Bulls make the playoffs in a certain time frame, the Rockets get their first round pick, if not, its 2 second rounders.

------------------

Draftsource.net

13. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

MManal,
    Thanks for clearing up the question.

Okay so.....

Back in dreamcasting mode......

#18, #23, Bulls first round obligation, one our future 2nd round picks, Cato & KT for.....

#4 and Elton Brand

ROCKET!!!

------------------

14. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Mango, wouldn't you think Mercer would be going to Detroit in this kind of trade?

Detroit is rumored to be looking to move Stack, but I don't know. Chicago woul have to give up a lot to make it a good deal. They're pick this season for sure and a decent pick in the future along with a decent enough player.

Brand would be real nice.

------------------

15. MManal

MManal Member

I dont think the Bulls would give up Brand in a swap to get Stackhouse. I feel that Stackhouse to a certain extent is overrated considering he barely avgs 40% from the field and has to chuck up over 24 shots a game to get his 30 PPG. The positive part of his game though is that he gets to the foul line a lot. If Im not mistaken, Stackhouse and Iverson are the leading guards in the league in terms of getting to the foul line. However, if you surrounded Stackhouse and Brand with the right players, you could have a solid team. I didnt realize that Stack was on the market though. The other name that has been mentioned in conjunction with Chicago is Bonzi Wells as Trader Bob apparently is looking to acquire a top 4 pick for Bonzi.

------------------

Draftsource.net

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I can't agree with TRG on this one. The Rockets would not take Croshere's $50 million obligation if they could dump Cato straight up. The Rockets would not need to get the Pacers involved to dump Cato. With the trade TRG states, why not just give Cato and the pick to the Bulls, with the Bulls giving us nothing in return? Then the Bulls can either trade Miller to someone else, or renounce him (non-guanteed contract).

------------------

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

MManal, look at my trade idea on the new Doc Rocket thread and tell me what you think. Chicago could sure use Croshere....?

------------------

18. MManal

MManal Member

Rox, interesting proposal in the Doc Rocket thread, however, I dont think the Bulls will go for it. They'd be taking on two players in Croshere and Cato who have hefty contracts and have played less than their best ball since signing them. Also, losing the 4th pick and gaining two hefty contracts wouldnt be too good for their future. In the Bulls position, I would only deal the 4th pick if a young player on the verge of being a stud is avail ie Bonzi Wells or just simply use it on best avail non PF player. I dont think the Bulls are really in a position right now to be focusing on specific needs. For instance, if they feel that Jason Richardson is going to be another Vince Carter, they would be well off just drafting him and trading Ron Mercer. Outside of Brand, they really dont have any major building blocks in place that are untouchable. Personally, if I were in Krause's shoes, I would just draft Jason Richardson and then put everyone on the market except for Brand, Richardson and Artest trying to add as many solid veteran defensive minded role players as possible. I was reading today that Nazr Mohammed is interested in going there so their interest in Cato could be waning.

------------------

Draftsource.net

19. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

What about Croshere to Portland Bonzi to Chicago and everytthing else would just have to be worked out.

------------------

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Hobbs,

Probably so, but I really don't see were Mercer + picks for Stackhouse really improves either team and just strikes me as a trade just to do something versus being part of a long-term plan.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!