1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Am Now On Record Saying Kelvin Cato Does Not Suck At The Sport Of Basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CBrownFanClub, Jul 2, 2001.

1. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

My middle brother had a Brown Ford Taurus. That car was huge disappointment -- it never worked, he tried everything to fix it, but it never turned out to be a reliable car.

Even though most car-owning standards indicated that he should have gotten rid of it, he never did. The thought process was something like, "well, I already put so much money into it, it would be a shame to ditch it now because it is probably about to start working. At some point, the law of averages will kick in, and this car will go six months without stalling on the freeway." Of course, the longer he kept it, the more it broke, the more trouble he had, and the more frustrated he got.

But, as Fromobile (my youngest brother) would likely point out, what else was he going to do? No other cars were availalble to him, and he could not afford to keep OR get rid of it. He was stuck with the Taurus. The Taurus was his, no one else would have bought it, and he could not buy a new car. Essentially, he was at the mercy of a intermittently functional 1987 Brown Ford Taurus.

Seeing my brother struggle with that car reminds me of the Rockets and Kelvin Cato's career as a professional basketball player. This guy should -- in theory -- be functional enough to grab some boards, whip out some outlet passes, drop some hoops, and get us to Fitzgerald's if we have a show to play. He has height, he has muscles, we have seen him do it on occasion ... just by the law of averages, his play should -- one of these days -- become enough to do the trick.

Now, here is where I am deviating from conventional wisdom on both products of the Ford Motor Company and the majority -- if not unanimous -- opinion expressed on KelvinCatoSucks.com, otherwise known as Clutch BBS: Houston Rocket Web Forum.

I am betting on the Taurus.

I hereby predict that Kelvin Cato is going to have a fairly good if not very good year in 2001-2002 ,

Quote me on this. Seriously, I want to be held to this remark twenty games or so into the season, assuming The Taurus is still on the team seeing minutes this season. Here is my thinking.

The number of people in the NBA (see Scarface's post), the number of fans, and the number of teammates expecting Kelvin Cato to have a good year are precisely zero. Well, one if you include me.

Cato a nice guy, i assume. He writes children's books, which is cool. Certainly cooler than DeShawn Stevensons work with children. But, anyone who breaks out for 20 points and 50 blocks in a preseason, gets a big contract, and then vanishes is clearly a headcase. Taurus Cato is, without a doubt, a headcase.

The point is, things get freakishly bad when a headcase slumps. But Cato is not an overpaid dud a la Big Country Reeves, because Cato has serious, serious upside. Somewhere, dude has it.

I am predicting that Cato's total lack of production the past two seasons will actually work to his advantage this year. He will be treated like the kid who is such a menace that people rub his tummy every day in which he does not set the living room rug on fire. He will be rewarded just for not fouling out of games.

As preposterous as it sounds, it will do the trick. Cato's confidence will respond, and it will build quickly. Why? Not because it should. But because he is a headcase. A headcase with game.

When a headcase with game -- Robert Horry, Vernon Maxwell and Mario Elie come to mind -- gets it in his skull that he is actually better than people think, weird things happen. They start to overachieve, and have confidence they have not really earned. Just like -- on the flipside -- they get irrationally self-doubting and crappy when things go badly. Are these the guys to build teams around? Nope. But, they are easily infected by whatever weirdness infiltrates the locker room, which can be a very good thing.

Malt Williams does not have the same upside as Taurus. I am not predicting wonderous things for him this year. But I geniunely think a good basketball player lives somewhere inside Cato, and I think this year's set-up will catalyze it. That very-good player in him got scared off by something. Probably that contract and the expectations that came with it.

But watch. This year, Cato will be back. All-Star numbers? No way. But he will start to fulfil some of those expectations. Bring back Hakeem, expect nothing of Cato, and watch.

Hold me to it. I am betting on the Taurus.

CBFC

------------------
    Join the Chucky Brown Fan Club

2. Silk

Silk Member

I respect your oppinion,

..empirically a player with a phat/fat contract and underachieves is almost always an underachiever,

but i respect your oppinion.

my questions
    a) do you have a story about an old Mercedes your brother wanted to buy: preferably an '84? --- dream

b) did they ever have to deposit 5k to be put on the waiting list for a M5 beamer; was it worth the wait? --- Webber

and...

c) Should your uncle have stuck with the redesigned Honda Civic --- Marc Jackson?

------------------
    President of MY fan club.

[This message has been edited by Silk (edited July 02, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Silk (edited July 02, 2001).]

3. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

AMAZING!!! i was this close to starting my own thread about the same exact thing until i realized how bad it'd make me look [​IMG]

I agree with you CBFC.

GO TAURUS!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Dream
    Rejects
    Every
    Attempt
    Made

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What the hell is the matter with you people?!?!?! KELVIN CATO SUCKS!

SUCKS
    SUCKS
    SUCKS
    SUCKS
    SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

5. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

I 2nd that motion rocket03!!

------------------

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

At last a reasoned Cato post. Not just hysterical name calling because he has so disapointed us

I predict that Cato, if not traded, will be a valuable if still somewhat erratic backup.
    At times we'll even think he can be our future center.

By next summer we will return to the point of having the guarded hopes for him that we had before his last injury filled year.

We will then have a tradeable commodity and a tough decision to make.

------------------

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

My father had an old car, and he constantly tried to fix it, but no matter what he did, it wouldn't work. He took it to shops, and friends and family look at it and it wouldn't run. So finally he just sold the thing and lo and behold the person he gave it to got it running perfectly fine!

- Actually that story never happened, but I'm kind of skeptical about Kelvin Cato! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

8. Silk

Silk Member

I think a better way to get a clearer picture of everyones answer is to ask yourself if you would hate his play as much if he was not making such a $hitload of money...

------------------
    President of MY fan club.

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Great Post on the Kelly Taurus CBFC

Your optimism is sickening (makes Cat look bad).

Wish it could come true, but also hope we can get a trade in or if not wait a while a send it to the wreckers.

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Maybe Kelvin just has an emtional problem that could be treated with medication and therapy. Perhaps Kelvin has just been suffering from a 2 year long bout with hemmeroids. If we here at Clutch City can give Kelvin some patience, some love and some time I know we will eventually be rewarded by seing Kelvin grow , mature and be the very best Kelvin he can be.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Losers always whine about playing their best, winners go home and **** the prom queen"
    -Sean Connery, "The Rock"

[This message has been edited by Gene Peterson (edited July 02, 2001).]

11. Dubious

------------------
    Losers always whine about playing their best, winners go home and **** the prom queen"

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

OK I'm confused...are you saying Cato's new nick name is Taurus? [​IMG]

------------------

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think that Cato "Breaks down" as much as that Taurus - he seems to spend a LOT of time on the IL and that seems to stop his development. It's hard to get into a groove when you get irregular playing time because you're always injured....

....let's hope that (if he's with the Rockets) Cato doesn't get injured this year! That's all I ask from him [​IMG]

------------------

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Lemon would appear appropriate

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

15. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Yep, that sounds like Cato all right. You seem to be talking in the past tense. Does that mean that your brother finally got rid of it? If it does, then I guess there's hope for us in getting rid of our Taurus. [​IMG]

------------------
    Nothing is impossible, if you believe it's possible.

16. Dubious

I hear Thomas Hamilton had a tune up.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gene Peterson (edited July 02, 2001).]

17. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Hotdottie:

Thank you for asking. Yes, my brother ended up selling his Taurus for about $600 -- help me out here, fromobile, how much was it? -- i think to this chiquita named Tracy who crashed it into a tree or something. Still, it was years later than he would have liked. The equivalent of dealing Cato for Todd MacCullogh in 2007.

CBFC

------------------
    Join the Chucky Brown Fan Club

18. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Chucky, I agree with everything you had to say, except the knock on Wiz.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

19. JAG

JAG Member

CBrown.
    Intersting poat, and it reflects how I feel....some of the time. At others I remind myself of Benoit Benjamin, Aundrey Bruce, Todd Van Poppell, Alexander Daigle, Stanley Roberts, Tony Mandarich, Pervis Ellison, Armon Gilliam, Brien Taylor, Chris Jackson, Steve Entman, Eric Williams, ect. ect.....You see, i think what you're doing, CB, is something I'm guilty of myself quite often ; being reductionistic. We look at these guys, and we say.. " Hmmm, he can do this, he can do that, he's got this, which you can't teach, he's got that..." and it all seems so easy. There would appear to be nothing between this obviously gifted individual and success but for some intangible hurdle, be it a lack of confidence, a stretch of annoying injuries,
    a coach that keeps him in the doghouse, ect. And it occurs to us, if/when he gets over this one little thing it'll all come together. And a lot of these guys eek out careers filled with occassional flashes and tons of disapointment because sports executives think the same thing...

Unfortunately the payoff usually remains just beyond the horizon, ever tantalizing us with what could be, but never delivering. And it can be almost addictive, this faith we will build up in these guys, forever rationalizing why this will be the year, if only....When I was first getting into basketball, and the Rockets were my team, I was a huge Ralph Sampson fan. Now don't get me wrong, Ralph had some pretty good years, but the "experts" of the day were saying this guy could be the best ever, could play like a guard while being taller than almost everyone, had incredible strength considering he looked so damn skinny,ect...I ate it all up...and waited, and hoped, and explained away this medicre year, overlooked the growing rumours of discontent, scoffed at the whispers of such unthinkable labels as "no heart...no guts.."
    Eventually I gave up on Ralph, but it should be noted that he had been retired for five years at the time.Now I know I'm going way farther than you had any intention of going with Cato, and there are exceptions who put it together every now and then, but I think what's more interesting is the psychology behind our tendency to repeatedly reach out for the hope seemingly just beyond our reach because we just know, deep down, that if we were built like Cato we'd be busting our ass to get every drop of talent out of ourselves. Oh well, that's all I had to say, but your post interested me because it reminded me of the way I catch myself rationalizing sometimes. And I'm still not entirely convinced we won't be proven right sometime, I mean the odds say at least once...

------------------

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

If we can't trade him, I sure hope you are right.

Actually, when his mom came on the BBS for a couple days, I wanted to say something hopeful. It had to be rough to read what everyone here had to say about her son, whom she obviously and ought to believe in.

Its frustrating when you know he's got the talent to be awesome, but that what is going on in his head (or not) is self-destructing. We did the same thing to Maloney, but he didn't have Cato's talent.

He really could do extremely well in Chicago, if Tim Floyd knows how to get in his head. We actually would probably be doing him a favor by trading him there. I don't know if we have anyone here who can empower him. You've got to know you need help before you accept it.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...