1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I’m a “_” Because:

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HR Dept, Feb 13, 2013.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I’m a Liberal because I believe that all people are equal, regardless of their race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, social/financial standing, etc; and deserve to be given equal rights and the same opportunities.

I believe that our responsibility to our society grows as our own personal success does.

I believe that knowledge and communication is always the answer.

I believe in tolerance. I believe in progress. I believe in education.

I believe in freedom of religion or lack thereof, without persecution of those who choose not to believe AND without persecution of those who choose to believe regardless of what that belief is.

I understand that regulation isn’t always the answer but is often a legitimate and relevant option.

I am pro-life before, during and after birth. I understand that that is MY belief, and believe that women have the right to choose.

I believe… That I could go on all day. Lol – State YOUR case.

1 person likes this.
  2. DreamRoxCoogFan

This will not end well.

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

So if a person's belief is that, if they kill a non believer they get rewarded by their belief, what do we do? If they are part of a larger group of people who don't think that person should be punished and their own gov't supports it, then we do what?

Also, does it mean if someone is conservative they don't believe in the same things you do like education and racial equality and religious freedom?

4. HR Dept

I believe I clearly stated "without persecution." Killing someone because of thier beliefs or lack there of, in my book, seems like persecution. So...

Nope, it's just what I (As in HR Dept) believe. You know, instead of attacking my beliefs maybe you ccould state and support yours... No?

5. bobmarley

Please tell me when I attacked your beliefs. I am asking serious questions.

I believe you misunderstand me about the religious comment.

How would you handle the real world and not some utopian fantasy?

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I am an American, and therefore I don't need to define myself or align myself.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Not a single thing written in the original post is the sole province of liberalism.

I am a conservative because I believe in 'to each his own', 'let bygones be bygones', 'different strokes for different folks', etc...

amongst other things.

That is the sole province of anarchy,conservatism, and libertarianism.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm a man because I don't have lady parts.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not sure that makes you a man

1 person likes this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Don't gorget Racism, Bigotry, and Partisanship like no other.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

racism and bigotry are the sole province of conservatism/libertarianism/anarchy? What? Do the Nazis or KKK ring any bells?

Why would anyone care about partisanship?

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm a "_" because I'm pissed off.

13. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dunno, but they do.

If President Obama wants immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship for undocumented workers, he may not want to mention it at all in tonight’s State of the Union speech, a new Washington Post poll suggests.
    Seven in 10 people in the survey said they would support a path to citizenship, including 60 percent of Republicans. But when the same question was asked of a separate sample of respondents, this time with Obama’s name attached to it, support dropped to 59 percent overall and just 39 percent among Republicans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...d-and-shouldnt-say-in-the-state-of-the-union/

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I'm kinda with you. I don't feel I can be easily placed in a box, probably most of us are this way.

I am not religious, but other members of my family regularly are involved in the Church. We don't bother one another about it. I've dated women of various religions, attend the services, and never really been bothered by any of it. To each their own, I suppose.

I do believe in a woman's right to choose, but still may disagree with the choice. This is based on my personal experiences with the matter.

I believe we should legalize mar1juana similar to alcohol at least. I think taxing it would be beneficial to our current financial dire straits and the jobs won't hurt either.

I believe we need tax reform and more efficient spending. Probably less spending, too.

I also believe in enjoying great craft brew, so Texas needs to change their beer laws around selling at the brewery. :cool:

I think this is a great thread topic, and have considered starting a similar thread, but not sure people will handle it well.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'm a pro-life libertarian because I think you should be able to do what you want, but only so long as you are not hurting anyone else.

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I don't participate in politics because I'm too cool

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Those are all beliefs of the Republican party, except for the pro-abortion point, but even that is not something the right has tried to overturn (Bush had 8 years but didn't make it a priority)

If those are your reasons for voting democrat, then I would say that you don't understand the positions of both parties. You've probably just voting because of what your family and friends are telling you to do.

18. HR Dept

Upon on further thought, I think this thread may have been a bad idea - Or at least my execution was poor. Really I just felt like making a post about what I believe, and why I vote the way I do.

After thinking about it, I'd bet that most people believe in many of the same things that I stated in the OP. The differences lie in what ideas individuals believe will bring those beliefs to fruition.

19. bobmarley

Good post.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm right, you're wrong. rrrraaarrghhhhhh