1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypothetical : would you sign McGrady?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Jul 13, 2000.

1. ScreamingRocketJet

Just out of curiosity, if the Rocks had the Max available for a FA and you could get McGrady...would you do it if you were the GM?

I love McGrady's game, love his potential and I love the shot blocking defense he adds at SF. To think he is only 21...wow, he is some talent.

That stated, no way would I sign him.

I just doubt too much that he has the 'mental toughness' that seperates the good from the great. Honestly, his free agency period has been a farce and so has much of his time in Toronto (in regards whether he'd stay or not)

Assuming he has decided on Orlando, who here will be even remotely surprised when he cries after a few losses that "he needs to see more ball" or "Hill's game limits the skills he has" or "the ball should have gone to him" etc etc. My guess is that the answer to that question is precisely no one.

You just can't afford to tie up maximum salary to a malcontent. Man, I love his game, but that's what he is, a malcontent...

BTW...is anyone else curios as to how him and Hill would co-exist? I am really curious on this one and can't understand Orlando's thinking. "Two Scottie Pippens" was the quotes I read. Why? They will just make parts of each others game redundant and both need a number one option to operate more effectively.

------------------

2. alaskansnowman

As far as Grant Hill and T-mac co-existing, I would say that T-Mac will play the 2 and Hill will play the 3, causing some SERIOUS matchup problems for the other team. But you are right becuz both are true small forwards.

I also think McGrady is a malcontent. But he is still young, and even though he's got his issues, I think he will grow out of it. WE cant expect everybody to have the same maturity as Steve Francis [​IMG]

So in the end, I would definately sign him. He's one of the few players that brings both offense and defense. And, like I said, he will prolly grow outta this childish stage of his, and be more like Hill(just want to win).

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I just answered this question in the other McGrady thread before I saw this one:

At this point, I'm glad the Rockets are not in contention to sign McGrady. He's a big
    pain in the ass. I'm now betting he'll be the same sort of irritant in Orlando or
    wherever that Pippen had been in Chicago (as opposed to the irritant he was in
    Houston).

I don't think though that Hill and McGrady will be too redundant. As for the two Pippens, McGrady definitely is one, but I think McGrady is paying Hill an insult with that comparison.

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No. I personally believe that he will be one of the biggest busts in recent memory.

------------------
    Just because you're white and play basketball doesn't mean you're a Matt Bullard clone, despite idiotic accusations to the contrary.

visit www.swirve.com

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm having Juwon Howard flashes!

From what I hear, he has reconsidered and decided to sign with Orlando.

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"

6. New Jack

New Jack Member

Hell Yeah I would sign Mcgrady.

Players with that much talent don't grow on trees.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

OK, I have an obsession for stats. Here's a comparison:

Player FG% 3P% FT% REB APG SPG BPG TO PF
    McG'y .451 .277 .707 6.3 3.3 1.1 1.9 2.0 2.5
    Cat .430 .356 .847 3.6 2.6 1.1 0.4 2.3 2.1

Points per game: McGrady 15.4 / Mobley 15.8

Yes, McGrady has an upside, but he might be another Pippen. $ for $, Cuttino has much more value to the Rocks. Easy to see why Toronto was interested in Cat!

------------------
    GATER

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Please enforce an age limit. 21 year olds getting $70 Million dollar contracts only enforces this sort of childishness. If I were Doc I would have let him go... otherwise at the end of next season he'll be gladly accepting part of Portland's summer team to get rid of him.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

McGrady is just a kid. I also think he will grow out of his wishy washy ways and become a smart and talented veteran. Sure, I sign him. He seems like a good kid to me, but he is just that - a kid.

In another year or two, watch out. He needed to get to a team where he can flourish, and I think he will do that in Orlando.

------------------
    HOOP-T
    ------------------