1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypothetical Point Guard Question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Mar 6, 2013.

?

Chances of the other guys starting

Poll closed Apr 5, 2013.
  1. Patrick Beverly 0%-25%

34.9%
  2. Patrick Beverly 25%-50%

4.8%
  3. Patrick Beverly 50%-75%

1.6%
  4. Patrick Beverly 75%-100%

7.9%
  5. Aaron Brooks 0%-25%

27.0%
  6. Aaron Brooks 25%-50%

11.1%
  7. Aaron Brooks 50%-75%

11.1%
  8. Aaron Brooks 75%-100%

1.6%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'll start this by saying that I believe in all three of our point guards because of the others. I don't believe we win by riding one all the way.

My hypothetical question is this, if Jeremy Lin started playing poorly for an extended part of the time (in other words, his shot stops falling, turning the ball over WAY too much to win, etc), what are the percentage chances Aaron Brooks or Patrick Beverly start.

I'll make this a poll.

I have disabled smilies... because I can. :)

2. Orange

Orange Member

I think Lin will still start because its too late in the year to Bench him. I think they need to seriously look to improve that Position in the off season.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We have seen it numerous times.

Rafer is traded so Brooks can start
    Brooks is injured, Lowry starts, Brooks does not get spot back.
    Lowry is injured, Dragic takes over, Lowry does not get spot back.

Wouldn't shock me at all to see Lin lose his spot due to injury or trade.

But, I doubt Brooks is here past the offseason unless we completely strike out in FA.

4. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

too bad no one takes u seriously

5. cw3k

cw3k Member

Nothing is going to change. I do not see any PG in the current roaster is better than Lin. Against, we are talking about PG, not SG.

6. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Lin is a very good young PG with lots of upside. I really don't understand why so many Rocket fans are against him, I would think they would be happy to have him instead of always running him down.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The guy you quoted is a troll.

Most people here are more than happy with Lin starting.

8. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

Lin hasn't really been given a fair chance by SOME Rockets fans. These fans still see him as the media fad of last year that they resented because of how overblown it became. They see him as a circus sideshow and can't see past this and haven't fairly evaluated his abilities on merit alone. That's the nature of some sports 'fans' I guess and they won't be happy until they drive the object of their displeasure out of their ball club. However, I think most Rockets fans aren't like the many LOHs on here and enjoy and support Lin who is a promising young PG with lots of upside.

9. Orange

Orange Member

Lin is the best point guard on the Team. But there are many better point guards out there. LOF are so blind.

10. Orange

Orange Member

Forgive me for not seeing this great "Upside" But I Honestly believe he wont improve that much. I am never wrong about these things.

11. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Neither. Lin will hold the spot, but share minutes depending on match-ups/momentum.

12. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

Actually, most LOFs know Lin isn't the best PG, not even close, but he has lots of potential. I say it's LOHs who are blind and blindly hate him for the persona the media created. How anybody can hate a nice guy who plays ball in the right way, is beyond me.

13. thisiscaketown

You're trying too hard.

14. platypus

platypus Member

I think the fact that Beverly is such a bulldog will only strengthen our point position. Lin has to go against that stifling defense every practice and it will only make him better.

15. Orange

Orange Member

Honestly the attention he gives the Rockets and the fact the he is a nice guy is something I really like. I could see myself being a LOF if he played for another team. I loved watching him in New York. But im a Die-Hard Rockets fan and I want the team to get a All-Star Calibur point guard so we can be true contenders. I believe Jeremy will never reach that level.

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Maybe not, but I don't think he really has to. He is constantly improving, and all Houston really needs alongside Harden in the backcourt is a facilitator. An all-star big man though, I would agree with you. But I am currently happy with the potential in the front court and wouldn't be upset if the Rockets didn't sign somebody like Josh Smith this off-season.

17. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

You have been the biggest LOH since SAS. You say you want him to "improve" but why don't you be more specific. Defense? He's already one of the defensive leaders on the team. Court vision? Facilitating? Checked (he would have two more assists a game if the big men on this team had better hands earlier this year). TO? Listen compare his TO stats to the other PG in the league before just throwing out this SAS talking point because it's oh so convenient. What do we have left?

Oh right scoring...

Listen you want him to score more right? That's what this is really about. Why don't you rag on McHale and Morey and convince them to let Lin jack up 15-20 shots a game? I don't understand why people don't realize Lin's scoring is down because he is unselfish to a fault... Not only is this his own philosophy coming into this season, now he has that beaten over his head by McHale day in day out.

18. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

These posters with 0 faith in Lin is the most annoying of the bunch.

19. Orange

Orange Member

Can he Hit his open 3s please?? That way he can score 15 PPG without having to run the offense through him just like Chandler Parsons. Also is assist numbers are pretty low. Would be nice if he can get to 8APG and 15-17 PPG. His Defence is fine.

20. muas2010

muas2010 Member

LOL...you are blind if you think LOFs think that Lin's the GOD of all point guards.:grin:To play on this system, you don't really need the greatest PG, just someone that can shoot well....Stephen Curry comes to mind.