1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hypothetical] Asik's trade value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Apr 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

NOT SAYING TO TRADE HIM OR ANYTHING.

I'm curious what the rest of you guys think his value would be on the market if on the slim chance Rockets decide to trade him.

I honestly have no clue how highly he a player like him would

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Fixed. And title got butchered =/

3. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I think we could trade asik for josh smith straight up but with josh wanting big money we might have to throw in like DMO

I am only okay with trading asik if its a sure bet that we get dwight

Howard/Smith
    Smith/TRob/TJones
    Parsons/Garcia
    Harden
    Lin/Beverly

We will lead the league in blocks/alley oops/and fast break points

should be top 5 in defense and top 10 in offense or at least thats what i would want and expect

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'd rather keep basil and go after love and Chris Paul.

Paul pg
    Harden SG
    Parsons sf
    Love pf
    Asik C

Bench
    Lin
    White
    Jones

Dream lineup would conquer ALL

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I suppose you would be over the cap though. Cry

6. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Here are two-way centers who are better than Asik this year:

Duncan (PF/C)
    Kevin Garnett (PF/C)
    Howard
    Marc Gasol
    Hibbert
    Joakim

Out of the top two, who are too old to fit with our current roster, I only see four players. Without acquiring any of the four, we can not afford to trade Asik away.

Why?

Asik has performed more than his contract worth. Those are Morey kind of players. You simply don't let those guys go UNLESS it's a clear upgrade. Keep accumulating players whose contract is 8.3 mils but performs at 12-15 mils will bring you closer a championship roster.

Take Tyson Chandler for example. His contract is 15 mils and he preforms like 15 mils.

Slight upgrade from Asik? of course!

Is it good idea to trade Asik for Chandler? Of course not!

The math just doesn't add up by give up 6.7 mils of cap for about 2 mils upgrade.

1 person likes this.
  7. ComeBack

ComeBack Member

The best of the guys you listed, excluding the oldies, is Marc Gasol. I don't know why people prefer Howard over Gasol. Howard has shown me too many times he is mentally weak and Gasol is the more skilled big.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You are missing a few players:
    Brook Lopez - Maybe people haven't paid attention, but he is balling this year.
    Dwight - He average more points AND rebounds that asik. I know clutchfans hates dwight, but he is pretty good.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Oops I see you have howard on your list.

10. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

His upside is huge and considering he's very young. IMO he's exceeded his current contract at $8mil a year. Morey for GMoY...

11. Anxiety Trooper

Asik over Noah for me. Asik is the best defensive rebounder in the NBA by a wide margin. Dude is nails on defensive rebounds. The stats support it to.

12. Anxiety Trooper

Also everything I've seen from asik points him him peaking at an older age. He improved his offensive game this past offseason. Who's to say a guy like him can't continue to do so? If he develops a mini hook shot he would instantly become a legit 16 point 12 reb player.

13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I would take Asik over all of those guys except Gasol and Dwight.

why?
    Duncan--too old not much left

Garnett--see above

Howard--yes he is overall better, but where are the Lakers in the standings? He is a prima donna, has injury issues, and is equal to Asik on rebounding numbers. So now salary (he would command max money) + the extra 8-10 pts he gives you on offense, is it worth it? Probably but I don't think its a slam dunk either--seeing that the Rockets don't need offensive help and the max dollars could prevent us from rounding out the team or signing the next "harden" for a less than max deal.

Gasol--yes, he's better than Asik, still young with upside.

Hibbert--NO..overpaid, worse stats than Asik. not an upgrade

Noah--I say its a push. Probably overall better but would only make the team marginally better if not the same

14. basketballholic

Interesting thread. I understand why you would want to know.

I have thought for a while that we could probably trade Asik and Lin to Boston for Rondo this off season. As for Asik by himself, I'm wondering if there is a lottery team that would give up a lottery pick for him in this year's draft. But it would be difficult to do because the draft is before free agency. And since you don't trade Asik unless you are signing Dwight there is no way for another team to draft the player you want unless it's just happenstance or they take the risk and pick the guy they know we want.

A team like Dallas may be willing to give us their draft pick for Asik. Don't know if we would even want to do that even with Dwight. Dallas' pick is likely the middle of the first round in a weak draft.

Minnesota is acting like they don't want to pay Pek. They may be willing to give us a pick for Asik. Perhaps we entice them into a Love for Asik/DMo/future picks type deal. (Not likely this off season at least.)

PHX-perhaps Gortat and their pick?

Philly would probably take him for a pick and walk away from Bynum. I think they will most likely walk away from Bynum as it is unless Bynum accepts a 1-yr deal.

Milwaukee - perhaps they see defensive dominance with Asik at the 5 and Sanders at the 4. Maybe they would give up Ilyasova and a future pick?

I think he's worth a good player and a future pick in trade. And that's not good enough to trade him unless we got somebody better than him to play the 5 for us. So, in short, we all know you don't trade him unless you have a better option at the 5. And that basically means you don't trade him unless we have signed Dwight.

But like I said earlier, if Morey can get Dwight and CP3 to listen, and he can get them to want to come here, he can very easily convert Asik and Lin to future draft picks and sign both guys outright.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Asik is a one-way center, so it's not a fair comparison. :p

if we were allowed to add more one-dimensional guys, there are several other obvious names

16. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Asik has shown that he can improve his game. His hands and offense have gotten better over the year. I think his stock is only getting higher by the game. We have the guy on a serious bargain contract. The Rockets cannot trade him without replacing his defense, which is next to impossible unless he's replaced by a healthy and motivated Howard.

I hope we keep Asik. I think he is going to continue to improve on offense for years.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

re the topic... it's tricky because who knows what kind of deal Morey may get. For all we know, Asik could be the next Afflalo/Kevin Martin/Eric Gordon in the next superstar trade.

But if we are talking about fair deals where Morey doesn't rob the other team, then I think you should expect to get players who are ~top 10 at their positions and on a good contract. Then you add or take away based on the player being young or older, injuries, etc.
    For instance Gallinari, Pekovic, Thad Young, Mike Conley, Lowry, Parsons... Obviously, that's not a list of trade targets, just what kind of assets I think would be fair.

18. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Exactly the reason I listed on my original post that I would NOT take Duncan and KG.

You are biased toward Dwight. In 9 seasons, Dwight only missed around 20 regular season games.

Lastly, Rebounding do not equate to better defender...please see David Lee.

Exactly! You are one of the few who noticed I wrote "two-way" to my comparison. Asik is a top five on one end but won't make a top 15 on the other end. To compare them as two-way centers, those I listed performs far superior than Asik.